Def Lep love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Def Lep love?

Ok, I've been on this forum for quite some time and one thing I can't figure out is the intense dislike of Def Leppard. Yeah, I get that they changed their sound quite a bit and put out a couple of craptacular albums, but they put on a great (IMO) live show, are extremely cool to the fans, have stuck together thru more tragedy than most bands ever see. They even still give Pete Willis royalties since he was a founding member.They don't piss on their fans ala Eddie, try different directions- again some have sucked, but Slang is a great album. Should they pull an AC/DC and just release the same album over and over? I am a huge fan of Angus and co, BTW. I get everyone has different tastes and don't have to like the same bands, but more a question of respect than anything. I'll go put on my flame suit.Be gentle, it's my first time!
    What has 9 arms and 10 legs? Def Leppard

I don't hate Def Leppard. I just quit listening to them after Pyromania. But I'll give it to them that they are still doing what they do...

But I do think High and Dry is one of the better 80's rock albums. I friggin' LOVE that album...

I'll say it again, for me Def Leppard died with they booted Pete Willis...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

the first 3 albums were great in my book, and even Hysteria has his moments..
      For me Steve Clark was the main force, so when he died, they lost their momentum and all of my interest

Comment

def leppard is still writing great songs... listen to back in your face, paper sun, day after day, and scar all those are from "slang", "x", and "euphoria". euphoria is their best cd since the 80's stuff.
        Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
        Amp... Pioneer
        Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

I'll flame ya, why the hell do you think everyone hates Def Leppard? Just this past weekend I was playing stuff off of High N Dry and Pyro. I guess I'm like the majority and prefer the older stuff, but mainly because I love the tone they got off of those early albums - I nail it with a trusty 1977 LP Custom and a Marshall 1/2 stack. Even with slightly hotter Burstbucker Pro's in my 2002 Std. they are just too hot, I have to use the old T-Tops wound a whimpy 7.6K to get that sweet tone.

Comment

I'm a Lep fan and have been since High 'n Dry, but the crap they have released lately sucks.
            The "X" album... please... they only wrote two or three of the songs on it.
            The rest was filler written by "others". They have lost their ability to write 10 years ago.
            Everything up to and including Hysteria is great stuff.
            After that, it was hit or miss. A few great songs here and there, but no "great" albums.

Phil has some killer new stuff with his other band, but it's totally different from the DL stuff.
            Part of why I like it.
            I think Phil's voice is 10x better than Joe's is right now.
            -Rick

Comment

I think they're awesome. You are right, they have endured more tragedy than any other band, and have not stopped moving forward musically. I'm not sure I like the stuff past adrenalize too much but I love the melodies that Steve came up with. The one song that sticks with me alot is White Lightning. I think Phil played Steve's parts to a T. I love that Fucking song.

Marc

Comment

Leppard has been one of my favorite bands since the first album. That said,they have been struggling to write a good album since Hysteria. I agree they had some moments; I like most of Slang and Euphoria, but I don't think it is any coincidence that they trailed off when Mutt Lange moved on to Shania and Steve Clark died. I suspect they are one of those bands that needs an outside ear to tell them what works and what doesn't. I always thought Vivian Campbell would be a perfect fit for them, until I heard them talk about having more in common with Duran Duran than any of the NWOBHM bands. On Through the Night didn't sound too much like Rio to me.
                "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

Euphoria has 4 or 5 great songs on it, Promises kicks ass as does Paper Sun and Kings of Oblivion.

that's the last I heard from them that I liked.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Going to see them Sunday...should be good as usual

Comment

After Hysteria I quit buying the albums. However, everything from Hysteria back is great and still stands the test of time.
                      My Toys:
                      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                      '94 Dinky HX in Black
                      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                        After Hysteria I quit buying the albums. However, everything from Hysteria back is great and still stands the test of time.
                        Same here. Hysteria was okay, but I was a little disappointed with their more commercial direction. I still think On Through The Night and High & Dry are their best albums. Pyromania is very good, too.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just got back from seeing them - great show, but I was kind of surprised that Viv's tone kind of sucked. Phil's was processed as you'd expect, but still sounded good, but Viv's was kind of dead and solid state - no warmth or sustain to it....
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by pebber View Post
                            For me Steve Clark was the main force, so when he died, they lost their momentum and all of my interest
                            The Leps were a massive influence on me when I was in my teens, absoloutley loved them, however agree with pebber, don't know if it was coincidence but they have not written a solid album since Steve died.

Comment

I don't hate Def Leppard. I just quit listening to them after Pyromania. But I'll give it to them that they are still doing what they do...

But I do think High and Dry is one of the better 80's rock albums. I friggin' LOVE that album...

I'll say it again, for me Def Leppard died with they booted Pete Willis...Yesterday 04:29 PM
                              Yeah that's my take on it to .

Comment

Working...
                              X