No announcement yet.

Def Lep love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Def Leppard Sucks! Oh Are You Crying? Maybe You Should Go To McDonalds And Get Yourself A Wah Burger And Some French-Cries!"
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

I might be one of the few people on this forum that loves the entire Def Leppard discography (with the exception of "Yeah!" which I haven't heard yet).

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      I think Phil's voice is 10x better than Joe's is right now.
      Everybody in the band has amazing voices with the exception of Joe right now. I have MP3s of Phil's lead vocal demo for "Miss You In A Heartbeat" as well as Viv's lead vocal demos for "Work It Out" and "To Be Alive" and they sound great.

The next Def Leppard album apparently will have the style of "Hysteria", the production of "High 'N' Dry", and absolutely no ballads. I actually really do like the Def Leppard ballads and they have a really solid pop sensibility for a band that has NWOBHM roots.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Same here. Hysteria was okay, but I was a little disappointed with their more commercial direction. I still think On Through The Night and High & Dry are their best albums. Pyromania is very good, too.

On Through The Night and High & Dry are the only Def Lepp albums I will listen to. I disliked Mutt back then and still do now. I loved the Willis/Clark guitar jauggernaut and think that had they stuck to the format of the early days, they would have been untouchable.

chuck
        "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

On Thru The Night, High & Dry, and a bit of Pyromania. After that... ugh.

And Joe Elliot is a fuckin' asshat.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            I might be one of the few people on this forum that loves the entire Def Leppard discography.
            I'm right there with you, although I like some albums more than others. I think I'm one of the few people that really likes X a lot.
            Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
            www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
              I think I'm one of the few people that really likes X a lot.
              I love spinning that one in my car when I'm not really in the mood for heavier rock and when I want to practice singing harmonies.

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
                Completely wrong. 2 or 3? That's simply not true. Check the credits before you start making up crap like that. X has some great songs on it. "Torn To Shreds" is awesome and had no outside writers. I like the whole cd.
                I was exaggerating a bit, so allow me to rephrase that.
                The ones that got radio play were written by other people.

The band wrote the music, the lyrics were by other people.
                Andreas Carlsson and Max Martin wrote shit for Brittney Spears, Backstreet Boys and a host of other "pop" stars.

6 of the 13 tracks released on the US version of the album used outside writers.
                Long, Long Way to Go, one of my favorites from the CD, was not written by them at all.
                1. "Now" (Elliot, Collen, Campbell, Savage, Allen, Marti Frederiksen) – 3:58
                2. "Unbelievable" (Per Aldeheim, Andreas Carlsson, Max Martin) – 3:58
                3. "You're So Beautiful" (Elliot, Collen, Campbell, Savage, Allen, Frederiksen) – 3:31
                4. "Everyday" (Elliot, Collen, Campbell) – 3:08
                5. "Long, Long Way to Go" (Steve Robson, W. Hector) – 4:38
                6. "Four Letter Word" – 3:07
                7. "Torn to Shreds" – 2:56
                8. "Love Don't Lie" – 4:46
                9. "Gravity" (Elliot, Collen, Campbell, Savage, Allen, Woodroffe) – 2:33
                10. "Cry" – 3:17
                11. "Girl Like You" – 2:49
                12. "Let Me Be the One" – 3:29
                13. "Scar" (Elliot, Collen, Campbell, Savage, Allen, Woodroffe) – 4:59
                14. "Kiss the Day" – 4:27 (UK only bonus track)
                15. "Long Long Way to Go" (Acoustic) (Robson, Hector) – 4:43 (UK only bonus track)
                -Rick

Comment

Heh, I always thought that CD had a Backstreet Boys sort of feel, vocal-wise.

Lionel Richie also sang "Long, Long Way To Go" as well.

Comment

I was at the DL/Styx show a few nights ago and although I did not leave dissapointed Styx put on a stronger show. Tommy Shaw kicked it the hole time they were on and so did everyone else in the band including, the Strange Animal Gowan. As mentioned in previous posts, Joe Elliot's voice is just not what it used to be. His normal talking voice seems quite low but he sings with that AC/DC style so you have to figure that after doing it that way so many years his vocal chords must be fried. Phil and Viv played great and will probably be doing an abs of steel video after the tour. Again, as mentioned above, Phil's sound is pretty processed. It's kind of like is sound is based on the Rockman. Although Styx had a wall of Marshall's behind them I doubt that both guys were using them and thier main amps were behind the stage. Tommy Shaw sounded quite Marshally and more wide open and un affected compared to Phil Collen. All in all a great night. DL played all thier hits (although a lot of them sound the same) and everyone left happy. Styx was the bonus surprise, though.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsa80sgtrs View Post
                      I was at the DL/Styx show a few nights ago and although I did not leave dissapointed Styx put on a stronger show. Tommy Shaw kicked it the hole time they were on and so did everyone else in the band including, the Strange Animal Gowan. As mentioned in previous Styx was the bonus surprise, though.
                      I've been though the first go 'round, as I mentioned before, and just got back into Styx, the early stuff. As I was coming up in rock in the early eighties, these bands were kind of falling out of favor, as REO led the way into sappy radio friendly songs that paved the cash road for many of the bands. So I stopped paying attention. Then, after going down the "road to hell", getting harder and harder, my chops caught up with me and I started really getting into the older stuff. I'm glad, and not too suprised, that Tommy has led Styx back to what was meant to be.

Comment

Hey Cygnus X1,
                        Yes Phil played A custom Ibanez Destroyer black with three Humbuckers and a Kahler.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ5bS3_BCDs&mode=related&search=

I the Me and My wine video Phil and Steve played Deans.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5irgYeDM2qU

Comment

Oh yeah, Cygnus x 1 ! The other great thing about TS is the guy is a great singer ! Lastly, thank goodness they did not play Mr. Roboto !

Comment

I like Def Leppard. They were one of the first "hard rock" bands (along with Van Halen) that I got into as a young buck back in the early 80s. PC is a very under-rated player and the bands logevity through all the rough times is a testament to a good band. Hell, even the sappy pop type stuff is okay...I mean, at least these guys can play.

Comment

Originally posted by JBall008 View Post
                              I like Def Leppard. They were one of the first "hard rock" bands (along with Van Halen) that I got into as a young buck back in the early 80s. PC is a very under-rated player and the bands logevity through all the rough times is a testament to a good band. Hell, even the sappy pop type stuff is okay...I mean, at least these guys can play.
                              I still love to get down to Judas Priest, some Maiden, Rush, and such...It was just so uncool, kind of like disco, to admit one was into any pop rock at that time, and still try to actually be in a rock band. So things have come full circle, I still can't stand a formulated hit, but DL and Styx have weathered the test of time for me. And I don't care what's cool, either.

Comment

Another DL fan here too. Although I have to agree with everyone I think their older stuff is better.

I thought everything up to the Adrenalize Album was great, some songs from the Retro Active album are ok..

Steve Clark was the reason why I picked up a guitar 3 years ago!

I wonder what Def Leppard would be like today if Steve was still alive? I wonder if he would still be using Les Pauls with Kahlers or Floyds or switched back to the usual LP tailpiece bridge?
                                Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
                                Fender Stratocaster (2006)
                                Jackson PC-1 (2012)
                                Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
                                Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
                                Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

Comment

Working...
                                X