Def Lep love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slashrox View Post
    some songs from the Retro Active album are ok..
    Some of my favorite Phil Collen solos are on that album. "Miss You In A Heartbeat" (electric version), "Ride Into The Sun", "Ring Of Fire"... wow.

Comment

I love Def Leppard too, but they've turned to shite recently. They'll always be one of my favourite bands, and live they are just fantastic*.
      But "X" is a pile of crap apart from a couple of songs, and "yeah!" is worse. Phil claims the new album is like Back in Black though which sounds good to me.
      Viv is a waste of space though. His blues album sucks big time and his crappy solos with DL have been a joke.
      I have a sneaking suspicion the guys in DL dont like him - anyone else does a solo album and gets their band members to guest. Dont hear Joe singing on Vivs album. Or Phil playing anything. And whats with Viv claiming Phil is atechnically better player than him? I seriously dont think so - did Phil make him say that?
      He's a waste of space, nowhere close to replacing Steve Clark.

*I've seen Death, Kreator, Maiden, Anthrax, Sepultura with Max amongst others. Leppard beat them ALL.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
        I don't hate Def Leppard. I just quit listening to them after Pyromania. But I'll give it to them that they are still doing what they do...

But I do think High and Dry is one of the better 80's rock albums. I friggin' LOVE that album...

I'll say it again, for me Def Leppard died with they booted Pete Willis...
        That pretty much sums up my opinion. Everything after Pyro is shit to me

Comment

The Lepp's Rule!

Regardless of whether they have produced a cack record, they still have the balls to go out there and play. They have suffered more that most bands and still have the determination to plug away.

I loved Hysteria through the 80's and still listen to it now, how many 80's albums can you say that to...

Most bands tend to go softer as they go old gracefully, so cut them some slack and be thankful that they are still around, prepared to play rock based songs.

So go on, give the Lepp's a hug, and thank them for still being there rocking out.!

Comment

RIP Steve Clark. I hear the new album sounds like Hysteria, which would be a step in the right direction. Viv's first tour with DL really made me excited about the future - his leads were great, and everyone in the band seemed happy. Since then, the have been moving further and further away from what I like about the band in the first place.

You gotta love that they have one of teh funniest rock movies I've ever seen about them, Hysteria: The Def Leppard Story
            Last edited by åron; 12-08-2007, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
              You gotta love that they have one of teh funniest rock movies I've ever seen about them, Hysteria: The Def Leppard Story
              Of which they were not involved in at all.
              Even they hated it.
              The acting, or lack thereof, was horrible.
              I have yet to watch it from start to finish.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Of which they were not involved in at all.
                Even they hated it.
                The acting, or lack thereof, was horrible.
                I have yet to watch it from start to finish.
                Yeah, glad to hear they hated it. It is so bad, that between the stuff that's supposed to be funny and the rest of it, I laughed my ass off with a like minded friend.

Comment

Maybe also...its our dislike of Vivian Cambell ! Since he quit on metal,
                  and doesnt want to talk about any work prior to 99'... maybe Vivian
                  changes our affection somewhat?

Comment

Huge fan here.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                      Maybe also...its our dislike of Vivian Cambell ! Since he quit on metal,
                      and doesnt want to talk about any work prior to 99'... maybe Vivian
                      changes our affection somewhat?
                      Not for me, no. Campbell has nothing to do with Leppard other than adding solos occasionally, that's my belief.
                      He is told what to play, when, and told what to say in interviews.
                      I have no evidence for this - I just don't understand how his playing in Leppard has been so fucking sterile unless it's because he's been told not to overshadow Phil.
                      The blame for the band turning to shite recently has to be laid firmly at Joe and Phil's doors. The other guys don't really do much in terms of songwriting and never did, so Joe and Phil are the ones that pull the strings I'd suggest.
                      Viv is just a puppet.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                        Not for me, no. Campbell has nothing to do with Leppard other than adding solos occasionally, that's my belief.
                        He is told what to play, when, and told what to say in interviews.
                        I have no evidence for this - I just don't understand how his playing in Leppard has been so fucking sterile unless it's because he's been told not to overshadow Phil.
                        The blame for the band turning to shite recently has to be laid firmly at Joe and Phil's doors. The other guys don't really do much in terms of songwriting and never did, so Joe and Phil are the ones that pull the strings I'd suggest.
                        Viv is just a puppet.
                        I place the blame squarely on the day that they hooked up with Mutt. They went from sounding like the next great hard rock/metal band to eventually being a 14 year old girls idea of cool. Anyone that takes a band from metal to Tiger fucking-Beat sucks ass in my book. Phil Collen is a wicked ass player, but I miss the days of Pete Willis and Steamin Steve. Steve wrote my favorite Lep song ever...Wasted and Pete could rip up his fret board. Songs like Pour Some Sugar on Me just don't hold up to Wasted or Let it Go.
                        "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Chasbo, I'm going to politely disagree. Mutt took a promising band with one album and turned them into mega stars. Even if you just compare the first and second albums (no Mutt vs. Mutt), I'll take High and Dry any day.
                          Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                          www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
                            Chasbo, I'm going to politely disagree. Mutt took a promising band with one album and turned them into mega stars. Even if you just compare the first and second albums (no Mutt vs. Mutt), I'll take High and Dry any day.

I won't deny that he made them Mega-stars, he certainly did that. High N Dry still rocks because most of the songs were together before Mutt showed up. Pyromania certainly rocked and there are several songs from that album that have stood the test of time for sure, but...With each successive album, Mutt watered their sound down and concentrated on only the stardom and not the substance. By Hysteria, Steve had stopped taking an active roll in writing or really even recording if you believe what has been written on the band. Joe increasingly moved the songs toward pop ballads, with Mutt's help of course. So yeah, he helped make them stars, but he also watered them down so they would appeal to a broader fan base. Again, more a difference in opinion, but On Through the Night is rawer and less polished, but way more fun to listen to for me.
                            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Mutt's job was to make albums that sold.
                              He did that.
                              And let's not forget who produced a ton of AC/DC's shit.. yep... Mutt.
                              Mutt has a way of looking at what the band does well and capitalizing on it.
                              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                                Huge fan here.
                                And over here too!

Comment

Working...
                                X