He plays like i want too...(in my mind)...Greg Howe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He plays like i want too...(in my mind)...Greg Howe

Damn! Certainly my all time favorite. Check out this "Unsung Hero"..
    doing "Sunny".. I crapped my pants!

Thanks for the tip, to me, reminds me a bit of Walter Becker's style.
    The first time I met my neice's boyfreind, she said, oh, he doesn't like the same music as you, but we sat in the garage and mixed blues and jazz,
    swapping licks, I just used my Steely Dan stuff, and I think I caused a small problem, because he has refused to jam with me since then. Like, he was college trained, and the family thought I was a more natural player. I still get flak from my Dad over it, like I showed him up. Funny, I don't know that much theory, just some scales. I noticed he uses his left hand to pull off a lot of notes, I would get a bit more right hand expression in there, if it were me. But, great clip. I'll get there someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      I noticed he uses his left hand to pull off a lot of notes, I would get a bit more right hand expression in there, if it were me. But, great clip. I'll get there someday.
      I read in the last issue of Guitar Player that Greg said his right hand sucks, he's a crappy string skipper, so he compensates with his left hand to just kinda hammer on the strings out of nowhere.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Robert: Look here and youll see I have Greg as a friend of mine,I like his style and chops too. He fits right in with my other friends.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=107912013
        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
          Robert: Look here and youll see I have Greg as a friend of mine,I like his style and chops too. He fits right in with my other friends.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=107912013
          ** I could have wrote down your favorites! In case you havent
          checked him out, see Marcel Coenen on Youtube! Another amazing
          fluid shredder.

Comment

Greg is in my top 5 list He is unreal , i learnt one of his instrumentals on guitar and it was so fn diffciult that i cant even describe it. Amazing composition and kilelr phrases.

Comment

OMG that video, amazing his note choice has again improved:O

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I read in the last issue of Guitar Player that Greg said his right hand sucks, he's a crappy string skipper, so he compensates with his left hand to just kinda hammer on the strings out of nowhere.
                Yeah, Greg does the hammer-hammer technique.. Holdsworth does it at times.. Shawn Lane did it a lot as well.. first time I got turned onto the technique was during on of Shawn's clinics circa early 90s.
                Greg also admits to having a tough time with muting, hence the pony tail mute.. works.. and he sounds PHENOMENAL!
                ULTRA nice guy too.
                DiMarzio Endorsee
                www.dimarzio.com
                Morley Endorsee
                www.morley.com
                "Intelli-Shred" author
                www.myspace.com/intellishred
                NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

best player ever to come out from the Sharpnell label
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Greg Howe is an amazing player.

I really enjoyed all of the Shrapnel guys from the "golden era" of guitar, but I think he stood out. Even on his debut, while he incorporated some of the neo-classical style in his playing, he also demonstrated a real blues/jazz vibe that was unusual for the instrumental releases of the time.

Over the years I think he really developed the latter aspects of his playing and became a killer rock fusion player (just my categorization) while maintaining continuity and a true rock edge in his style.
                    GM,
                    www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                      Greg Howe is an amazing player.

I really enjoyed all of the Shrapnel guys from the "golden era" of guitar, but I think he stood out. Even on his debut, while he incorporated some of the neo-classical style in his playing, he also demonstrated a real blues/jazz vibe that was unusual for the instrumental releases of the time.

Over the years I think he really developed the latter aspects of his playing and became a killer rock fusion player (just my categorization) while maintaining continuity and a true rock edge in his style.
                      Thats why i was drawn to him...Blues/VH style. He seemed to incorporate high energy VH tapping with jazz style chords, and flawless
                      technique. I have about 11 of his albums! Even "High Gear" with his
                      brother Al. That is one bad ass 80's album.

Comment

He's a good player, but his solo stuff leaves me a little bored.

Howe II is a cool album

Has anyone seen the youtube vid of him upstaging justin timberlake?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          Thats why i was drawn to him...Blues/VH style. He seemed to incorporate high energy VH tapping with jazz style chords, and flawless
                          technique. I have about 11 of his albums! Even "High Gear" with his
                          brother Al. That is one bad ass 80's album.
                          High Gear is great! The second one was OK, but didn't match up to the first.

"Carry The Torch!"
                          GM,
                          www.aftershok.com

Comment

Greg Howe on High Gear is about as good as it gets for a rock guitar record.

He is melodic, blazing, and bluesy all at once.

Just amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
                              Greg Howe on High Gear is about as good as it gets for a rock guitar record.

He is melodic, blazing, and bluesy all at once.

Just amazing.

Absolutely!
                              GM,
                              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Working...
                              X