Guitar Tone on Billy Squier's "Don't Say No" album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Tone on Billy Squier's "Don't Say No" album

I was jamming this disk in my car today (I am really dating myself, lol) and I realized tha the guitar tone on the whole album is just kick-ass! What is it? Strat and a Marshall? Any pedals?

Specifically, I am thinking of "The Stroke" and "Lonley is the Night".

I have a Vetta 2, EVH Wolfgang and a Strat...What is the path to goodness?

Thanks guys!

Not sure about the amp, He was playing a Tele when I saw him back n the '80's

Comment

right, he used a Tele 80% of the time.

for the Vetta, try Identical Twins with a Screamer boost (but not too much). throw in a bit of reverb and you should be pretty close I'd think.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

You mean the lead parts, right? Not Billy's?

If so, I'm thinking his lead player (...I forget the guy's name) plugged a Les Paul straight into a Marshall stack. Little, if anything, in between. Volume cranked, but not a lot of gain - a pretty "pure" tone set-up.

Comment

That's Jeff Golub, I think. Great player currently playing with Rod Stewart, I think.

Comment

great album

Comment

I believe that is Plexi and Tele on Billy's parts.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

The crunch and twang of his sound is pretty outstanding on that album. I know he used a Tele. It sounds most likely with a plexi as stated above.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                  That's Jeff Golub, I think. Great player currently playing with Rod Stewart, I think.

Agreed on Jeff Golub. He did a solo album back in the day , and it was an array of tunes, but not as appealing to me as his work with Billy. If I am not mistaken he did a little bit of session work with some other bands too.

Comment

I think Billy also used a St. Blues guitar during this time.

Comment

Working...
                    X