The Kerry King Whammy Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kerry King Whammy Master Thread

There seems to be a heated debate as to whether Kerry King is a Whammy Master along the likes of Hendrix, Beck, Vai, and Gillis...or is he simply a hack with no technique to speak of? Thoughts?
    Whammy Hack
    61.54%
    Whammy Master
    38.46%

I don't think he's either one..he uses it in the context of Slayer. He's been doing it for a long time so he has his thing down. I like his lyrics and riffs more than anything..It's Slayer!!!

We seem to be on the same page lyrically, he doesn't hold back about religion at all like the other members do. I use the whammy bar ALOT. I think I'm more refined than Kerry with it..along the lines of Eddie, Gillis, and Dime ect..all from EVH school.

I'm not advanced as guys like Vai/Satch. Joe gave me a personal lesson on his depressed harmonics (reversed divebomb) which I always do..

It has to worked within the context of the music..for Kerry/Slayer it's great!!!..but if you put a Kerry King whammy solo in a Night Ranger, VH, Ratt, Nevermore, Rising Force, Racer X ect song..it'll sound like ass!!!

Kerry did something right , Slayer has been a heavy hitting mainstay without any mainstream support. Satch/Vai and Keryy rule their own worlds..so with that, I say Kerry's more master than hack. That's my vote.
    Last edited by horns666; 10-16-2007, 12:04 PM. Reason: Gave it some thought.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

well, i wouldn't go as far as calling him a hack, as both him and jeff are pretty much nailing their leads in a live situation, which tells me that there is actually some thought behind them - even if it doesn't quite sound like that ;-) however, imho comparing king to guys like vai or beck is like apples and oranges....they're all really good at what they're doing, but it's just SO different.

Comment

I think he is a master. As a listener of this particular art form, it is what I think that counts.

Comment

While Kerry King may not possess the kinds of skill that Vai and Satriani have, he is an originator of his style and an icon of thrash metal. I think the originality and popularity of his technique qualifies him for the “Wammy Bar Hall of Fame” and therefore an honorary degree as "master of the tremolo".
          Last edited by excon; 10-16-2007, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Jeff's more of a whammy master than Kerry. Slayer kicks ass either way!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree, I've always felt that Jeff was the better guitarist in most respects, but it doesn't really matter that much because together they both rule.

Comment

I saw Kerry at a local guitar seminar. I was unimpressed I am not even going to make a comment. He seemed like a really nice guy though.
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                  I saw Kerry at a local guitar seminar. I was unimpressed I am not even going to make a comment. He seemed like a really nice guy though.
                  +1. He seems really down to earth in his interviews. Given his appearance, though, I was expecting explatives to be flying left and right and him speaking of raping nuns and killing babies.
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

He is a fat bastard.

Once I flobbed in his face. Then he stamped on my head. (Birmingham Odeon, 1987).

Oh, and I voted for Master because if I wrangled mine like him, I'd have broken strings and lots of people laughing at me.

But I still think Rick Hunolt/Gary Holt wipe their arse with Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman.
                    Last edited by Rsmacker; 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM.
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Kerry is a riff master. His solo's are not at all good.

When someone plays a solo with no regard for harmony or melody, just random notes really fast, we call it "pulling a kerry"
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I would consider Slayer one of my favourite bands, but Kerry is no guitar master by any means, Jeff is the master of guitars in that band, no doubt about it. No Disrespect intended to Kerry, who has been playing in one of the most badass metal bands ever for the last 25 years (ok, the last 13 years have been kinda subpar, yes the whole "Slay-tanic" thing is pretty dated, but alot of the stuff from '83-'94 is badass
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Kerry is a hack, no doubt, and that whole "We're bad-ass motherf@#$ers!" thing is sad and played out. Same reason why I don't listen to lots of other metal bands, like BLS. Just play some f'ing music, and stop trying to be so friggin tough.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
                            +1. He seems really down to earth in his interviews. Given his appearance, though, I was expecting explatives to be flying left and right and him speaking of raping nuns and killing babies.
                            I met Kerry King several times and he is really cool. In fact the whole band usually comes out to meet, sign autographs, and shake hands with people after their shows. This goes to show that they are down to earth people and that they have a mutual respect with their fans.

In the ‘70s the Rolling Stones were called racists and sexists because of the lyrical content of songs like, “Some Girls, Under My Thumb, and Brown Sugar.” Keith Richards responded by saying, “Rock’n’roll shouldn’t be taken too seriously.” It’s the same thing with heavy metal. People shouldn’t take image or lyric content too seriously.
                            Last edited by excon; 10-17-2007, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                              Kerry is a hack, no doubt, and that whole "We're bad-ass motherf@#$ers!" thing is sad and played out. Same reason why I don't listen to lots of other metal bands, like BLS. Just play some f'ing music, and stop trying to be so friggin tough.
                              Like it or not ..it's a image/charisma thing. It definitely works for them. Zakk and Kerry's beard has the same kind of appeal as Britney's tits..ya see what I'm sayin..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X