Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I introduced our bassplayer to Billy Sheehan's playing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I introduced our bassplayer to Billy Sheehan's playing.

We were talking about Mr. Big and I told him that that band was more than just that sappy "To be with you" ballad and showed him this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuOQtg-pJ0

His reaction: "How the fuck does he do that? I never saw anybody play a bass like that before."

Straight away he tried his hand at doing some of that crazy shredding on bass and much to his own astonishment, he did a decent job. He said "Man, I really have to learn more about Bassplayers like him."

So it'll be an interresting rehearsal next sunday when he shows the fruits of this discovery.

It's great educating someone about true talent isn't it?

I'm sick of saying things like "Going to see Paul Gilbert tonight"
    "Who's he? What band is he from"
    "Mr Big"
    "Ah, yes, I know, To Be With You. Pfffft, I bet he's..erm, good"
    "Here, listen to this...."(puts on Get Out Of My Yard)
    "Fucking hell, I'm coming with you. I never realised......."
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I went with a mate to see a seminar given by Billy in one of the Bass playing schools in London around 90/91. I think it was sponsored by Ampeg and my mate was one of their UK endorsers so he got tickets for free. Anyway I digress, Mr. Sheehan was amazing, I think he has 50 fingers or something! My mate had a long chat with him and I had a quick conversation with him after. Turns out he's quite a nice bloke as well.
      Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

One of my favorite bassists! And I hear you about PG. It's sad to think that 99% of people only know him for that cheesy song with Mr. Big that any first year guitar student could play.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Billy is probably the most over-rated and under-rated bassists at the same time.

So many are impressed of his super-fast shred solos... wich are bunch of random notes played with annoying tone... most of the time anyway... he himself has said it too many times

And yet so few notcie/know that he is such a versatile musician... he can write songs... he can play very deep pocket grooves... one of the best players when it comes to "playing for the song"... he can play slap style funk, jazz, fusion etc.

Kinda funny that his stronger aspects of playing aren't noticed
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Endrik..heard me play!!!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Man...whats with this sappy "to be with you"? Everyone in the USA
              knows they are "Addicted to that Rush" !! Thats what comes to
              mind when i hear mention of Mr Big. I got to see them in about 1990
              i think? Mason Jar in Phx and we went there to check out Paul up close...
              spent the entire evening glued to what Billy was doing! I was 6 feet
              from them! Man what a night... They played to only about 60 people!
              Tell your Bass player to check out...

Victor Wooten
              Steve Bailey
              Stu Hamm
              Doug Whimbish That should keep him busy for the next 20 years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U
              Last edited by Robert Burns; 11-01-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I got to see him play with Mr. Big in 1992 at Arco Arena opening for Rush. He was on that night and kicked everyones ass. It was cool to for another reason, there were a lot of bay area musicians in the audience, the one that stands out most to me was the drummer for Faith no more (now Ozzy i believe) I know the primary reason they were there was Rush, but I have no doubt that some of them got an education from Billy that night
                In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                  I got to see him play with Mr. Big in 1992 at Arco Arena opening for Rush. He was on that night and kicked everyones ass. It was cool to for another reason, there were a lot of bay area musicians in the audience, the one that stands out most to me was the drummer for Faith no more (now Ozzy i believe) I know the primary reason they were there was Rush, but I have no doubt that some of them got an education from Billy that night
                  damn right..I was there too..in Cleveland!!

Nobody cheered for Billy during his solo, nobody knew who he was...I did!

Geddy did a fart solo and the people went nuts!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

when it comes to pure chops and technique then Bill Dickens is the scariest dude I've seen... not really what I would listen a lot but he can slap as fast as Yngwie can play scales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bulBD4_aRKk
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      not really what I would listen a lot but he can slap as fast as Yngwie can play scales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bulBD4_aRKk
                      Looks like he can slap down cheeseburgers fast as Yngwie, too! :ROTF:

Comment

Lol
                        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

I'm going to see Billy on Sunday. With Tony MacAlpine and Virgil Donati.
                          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Billy, Tony, and Virgil should be an awesome show!

Back in art school in the late 80's early 90's I had a friend across the hall who was a jazz drummer. He was raised on jazz and had no respect rock. Then one day I was blasting Racer X Extreme Volume Live and he came flying into my place asking who the hell I was listening to. He sat down and listened to the whole CD grinning from ear to ear. I also got him hooked on Vai, Satch, Mr. Big, Gary Moore, and reacquainted him with Extreme (he was from Boston). He returned the favor by introducing me to some great jazz and fusion.

Comment

Stanley Clarke is no slouch on bass as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X