Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kind of a different slant to the "2nd best guitarist" thread below..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of a different slant to the "2nd best guitarist" thread below..

In your opinion, who was the greatest "Best supporting" 2nd guitarist ever?

My vote is early Santana... with a young kid named Neal Schon! (backing
    up Carlos)

Who is your favorite "best supporting player of all time? Current or
    old school?

I'm going to have to go with Bruce from Racer X. He's an amazing guitarist. Although he did his share of the solos, Paul was the star of that band so I guess I would put him in the supporting guitarist category (but just barely). Anyway, Bruce is friggin' awesome and a heck of a nice guy.
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

KK Downing, he always seemed to take a backseat in Priest, but he is a badass guitarist himself,

same with Snake Sabo
      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
        I'm going to have to go with Bruce from Racer X. He's an amazing guitarist. Although he did his share of the solos, Paul was the star of that band so I guess I would put him in the supporting guitarist category (but just barely). Anyway, Bruce is friggin' awesome and a heck of a nice guy.
        +1 for Bruce.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sammy Hagar when he plays

Comment

Dave Mustaine comes to mind. A very capable lead guitarist in his own right, but with guys like Chris Poland and Marty Friedman in the band Mustaine would have to be considered the "2nd best guitarist".

Comment

I think both Bruce and Dave are so good and did so many leads, calling them supporting is a bit of stretch. To me they fall under the guitar duo category. Amir and Chris were another of my favorite duo's.

I'd say the little Italian virtuoso who did strat abuse for Frank Zappa. Schon is certainly very high on my list.

Comment

I've always thought James Hetfield is a far better guitarist than he gets credit for.

Comment

Paul Chapman from UFO was pretty solid w/Mikey.
                  Not a shredder by any means but Malcom young is one of the best rythm guitarists to date IMO. Angus wouldn't have a chance being what he is without Malcom.

Comment

All the name I've been thinking of have already been mentioned.

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                    KK Downing, he always seemed to take a backseat in Priest, but he is a badass guitarist himself,

same with Snake Sabo
                    KK Downing is an incredible guitarist imo. Besides his great playing he can write some wicked stuff!

Originally posted by Gartron View Post
                    I've always thought James Hetfield is a far better guitarist than he gets credit for.
                    To me he's clearly better than Kirk. His riffing is awesome and his solos although not as technical as Kirk's (if Kirk's are any ) are always better sounding. The middle solo of Master of Puppets, the guitar solo in Nothing else matters are first to come to my mind, both of which are great great guitar solos..

And of course Dave Mustaine, Marty and him were the best guitar duo of all times
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Turns out I like a lot of 1 guitar bands, but after some thought about the best shows I'd seen over the last several years, I came up with a few. These 2nd players were all perfect when I saw them play. All play unique music with monster drummers, all good in their own way.

Jeff Schroeder of Smashing Pumpkins
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Marten Hagström of Meshuggah
                      Meshuggah performing the song "Pulling Straws at Random" from their re-issued album "Nothing." This video can be found on the DVD portion of the re-release o...

Bret Silverberg of Irepress
                      4th Annual Last night on Earth show w/Junius, Constants, Caspian, Carrigan

Comment

yes, jeff schroeder and james iha!

Comment

I always liked Eric peterson. His rythm work have always impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
                            Dave Mustaine comes to mind. A very capable lead guitarist in his own right, but with guys like Chris Poland and Marty Friedman in the band Mustaine would have to be considered the "2nd best guitarist".
                            I think Mustaine is a horrible lead player!

Comment

Tony Macalpine on tour with Steve Vai.

Comment

Working...
                              X