Bands that record with scooped mids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bands that record with scooped mids

can you guys think of bands that scoop their mids on an album or track?

I understand how it works, but I want to get a better understanding of how it sounds.

thanks
    Sam

Anything numetal:
    Slipknot
    System of a Down
    Disturbed
    Mudvayne

I'm pretty sure John 5, Post-Justice Metallica, Godsmack, Seether, Hellyeah, among others, scoop mids as well.

Comment

Look no further than Metallica's And Justice For All. That album could have been great if it had mids.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Look no further than Metallica's And Justice For All. That album could have been great if it had mids.
        Personally, I don't think they had cut them out totally guitar wise in Justice. I think it was just scaled back from Puppets, but the production on And Justice for All makes it seem like there were less mids then there were.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
          Personally, I don't think they had cut them out totally guitar wise in Justice. I think it was just scaled back from Puppets, but the production on And Justice for All makes it seem like there were less mids then there were.
          James has even said they were pretty much totally scooped and his low end ate up Jason's bass frequencies. If Jason had turned up the mids on his bass and had been louder in the mix, it would have worked out.

Comment

James has even said they were pretty much totally scooped and his low end ate up Jason's bass frequencies. If Jason had turned up the mids on his bass and had been louder in the mix, it would have worked out.
            I completely agree with this. The production values on Justice were a big step down from Puppets, and you cannot hear the bass. At least they were telling us, however subtly, that bad things were to come
            "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Well then...imo everyone should record without mids! I love all of these
              bands..

Comment

Scooped mids sounds okay when you're playing by yourself, but when you mix it together with a band, it sucks.

Comment

Yeah, i read some article where James said that the MOP tone was obtained by lowering the mids.

However, I've been told that the justice album was recorded without Jason's bass parts. The bass parts were added later.
                  Sam

Comment

They always used to record every instrument separate anyway. Jason's bass was in there, but Lars wanted the drums louder, James wanted his guitars louder. Everything just kinda took away from Jason's bass. Not to mention Jason just doubled everything the rhythm guitar played and didn't play normal bass lines, so that didn't help either.

Comment

Scooped mids sounds okay when you're playing by yourself, but when you mix it together with a band, it sucks.
                      Exactly, you just end up fighting the bass parts
                      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

They always used to record every instrument separate anyway. Jason's bass was in there, but Lars wanted the drums louder, James wanted his guitars louder. Everything just kinda took away from Jason's bass. Not to mention Jason just doubled everything the rhythm guitar played and didn't play normal bass lines, so that didn't help either.
                        Wow Joe, there's no limit to your knowledge about Metallica.
                        Sam

Comment

LOL Thanks. I used to worship them from about '84 and read just about everything I could on them. After like '97 or so, I stopped caring as much. Then in 2003 when St. Anger came out, I really stopped giving a shit. :ROTF:
                          I'm still fascinated by them and hope their work with Trujillo will turn them around, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Joe, I know you have the answer to this one. Master of Puppets they used a Mark IIC+? What did they use on Justice?

Comment

Metallicas problem back then was that Lars and James mixed it.

That album is why bands need to get over themselves and hire a good mix engineer... Engineers dont listen for guitars or bass or drums they listen to the whole recording and mix it like it should be. Musicians need to just PLAY and then shut up and let the pros mix it. Goes for live too.

Comment

Working...
                              X