Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats all this talk about "George Lynch".. losing his chops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, appears George is back on his game. One of my fave lynch solos is in LM's cover of "Tie Your Mother down"..tasty. I listened to ALOT of Lynch and have everything he put out. He should go back to using old Parks, Marshalls and Soldano..and he sounds good with the Uber too. I always thought he's make a great Ozzy guitarist. Other than just taking over students of Randy when he died. That would have been interesting.

I met Barry Sparks in '89 when he toured with Greg Howe and his brother on vocals. He had a major tantrum behind the stage because he was F'n up on his solo ( I think). My old bud played with Greg, but quit after a month of commuting back and forth to PA...Mike Varney got him that gig.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
      I like this! good new tune!

I've never heard Levin before, but he does have a GL style of attack. matches the band well. nice tone too.

and Barry Sparks is a great bassist, I've seen him rip with Yngwie and he did all those tours with Schenker too.
      Levin is great! He was in Warlock back in the '80s, then he went to law school and became an attorney. He's actually Dokken's attorney as well as their guitar player. And I've seen Barry with Yngwie a couple times as well... just amazing!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe, that's Levin in Warlock..I did not know that!!

I have all the Warlock stuff..I must check!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Go listen to Dokken's last album, Hell To Pay. The guitar solos on there are smokin' hot. Levin is awesome.
          Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
          www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Lynch was probably my single biggest influence next to Randy. When I walked out on his set two years ago, I was majorly bummed out but what I had just witnessed. Super sloppy, "outside" playing that really didn't go anywhere and a thin, shrill tone that was painful to listen to.
            I'm glad to hear he's back on his game as he was one of the few players who truly moved me back in the 80's. I'll give him another try if he comes around again.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              Joe, that's Levin in Warlock..I did not know that!!

I have all the Warlock stuff..I must check!
              I'm not sure if he was always in the band or just towards the end, but I remember reading about it awhile ago. I never did get any of their albums.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I'm not sure if he was always in the band or just towards the end, but I remember reading about it awhile ago. I never did get any of their albums.

Joe, like I mentioned in the Doro thread. The still in print "Earthshaker Rock" is a very good (best of) compilation. It actually covers alot of her good early material.

Waniac mentioned that Ollie went to Kamelot..I didn't know that either.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                  For years now Lynch has been known to be inconsistent. When he's "on", he's great. When he's "off" it can be pretty bad. He just gets up and does what he can do that day. As many people who have seen him play great, just as many have seen an off night. Whatever you see is going to be the impression you get.
                  For what it's worth, this is coming from a big Lynch fan. Someone who has followed him over the years, and been both amazed by and disappointed in his performances.

I'm not making excuses for Lynch, but this quote hits what I think is the heart of the matter. Great players are often inconsistent- when they are on, they are amazing, and when they're not, it's disappointing. But it's part of what made/makes him great.
                  GM,
                  www.aftershok.com

Comment

Levin played with doro, but not warlock. he was only on DORO's force majuere album and tour, and fwiw i think he's an ace guitarist and i really like levin era dokken

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                      Levin played with doro, but not warlock. he was only on DORO's force majuere album and tour, and fwiw i think he's an ace guitarist and i really like levin era dokken
                      Really? According to the bio I read of Jon awhile ago, it said Warlock. I just checked Dokken's myspace page, and this is what's there...

"In 2003, ex-Warlock guitarist John Levin and ex-Ted Nugent and Yngwie Malmsteen bassist Barry Sparks joined the group, resulting in the release of Hell to Pay the following year."

Discover, share and connect with culture, creativity, sound, images and people.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Joe, like I mentioned in the Doro thread. The still in print "Earthshaker Rock" is a very good (best of) compilation. It actually covers alot of her good early material.

Waniac mentioned that Ollie went to Kamelot..I didn't know that either.
                        Thanks, Bill. Next time I'm in my local metal record store, I'll have see if they have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          1/2 the forum members say they have "walked out" of Lynch's clinics,
                          and concerts? Doesnt look that way to me! Sure...more restrained...
                          but he is "Mature" now! This is from what? a year ago? The MAN!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

He is SMOKING on this clip- sounds as good as ever.
                          GM,
                          www.aftershok.com

Comment

pretty boring, but he obv has chops..

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Really? According to the bio I read of Jon awhile ago, it said Warlock. I just checked Dokken's myspace page, and this is what's there...

"In 2003, ex-Warlock guitarist John Levin and ex-Ted Nugent and Yngwie Malmsteen bassist Barry Sparks joined the group, resulting in the release of Hell to Pay the following year."

http://www.myspace.com/dokken1

i guess the two are interchangeable but he was in with her early 90s i think and it was definately force majeure - i may have actually read that on his personal site/myspace page - that musta been her first album as just doro? perhaps hey have warlock down on the dokken site maybe ppl don't recognise doro as much outside of warlock or maybe a lot of people still refer to her band as warlock? *ponders*
                              Last edited by sonicsamurai; 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

correction - force majeure was '89, so pobably quite understandable that people still call it a warlock album

Comment

Working...
                                X