No announcement yet.

Def Leppard - Its really called Sparkle Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't heard the song in decent quality yet, but what I have heard sounds good to me. Yeah it's still gay compared to Pyro or even Hysteria, but shit, that's a good song. It has a good riff, Joe Elliot sounds classic and there's even a little solo from (I think) Phil. It sounds pretty rocking to me compared to the shit on X.
    I'm looking forward to seeing them play this at high volume in Glasgow soon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      OMG that sounds like ass.
      WTF is with the twangy tele's... it sound like shit.
      Twangy tele's? I don't hear that at all. Is it maybe your speakers? Try listening to it with earphones on - I'm doing it now and it sounds like humbucker equipped guitars to me.
      I would love Joe to still do the Brian Johnson screaming vocals, but we know he can't - he still sounds good though. And that country guy just makes Joe sound even better.

This is a fucking good rock single, give the guys a break.
      If the rest of the album isn't any heavier than this I won't be happy, I admit it. But as a taster, this is pretty good to my ears.

Comment

I definitely hear a pop-country influence there.

Despite that, it does sound decent.

Comment

It rocks. I love it, but I am biased. Stuck my neck out, here. Don't chop it off.
          September 5, 2007
          PhilCollenAdrenalized.com

Comment

I dig these guys, but Jesus f'n Christ!!!
            Sad... really sad.
            This was supposed to be the original cover btw...

The one posted is the legit album cover.
            You can pre-order the CD on Amazon UK right now.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=1000145273

probably because it's hard to break into the market now unless you;re playing all that new crap. By going into the country market they somewhat retain their style and are able to get airplay to sell records..
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

FWIW when my wife heard it she came hope and durected me to itunes to buy it for her.. the first song really isn't that bad..
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Overall, I think it's a pretty decent album. You got to expect a little slow down from these guys. Geezzz, their approaching their 50's! (just like me!) Just considering that they are one of the few bands who have been CONTINUOUSLY together since their inception, give them some props will ya.

As for live, I saw them last summer and they still ROCKED HARD! Not seeing them for many years, I expected a little let down, but I was blown away by their show, still rocked like it was the 80's. Overall, not bad from a band where the members are going gray!

Even if they went in another direction musically altogether (which is not the case here), just the fact they have survived this far has to get a lot of respect. BTW...the song with Tim McGraw is great. Has a lot of old vibe but sounds fresh. I have played it many times over and have not gotten tired of it yet!
                Guitars:
                Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                1988 Model 2,
                Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                RR3
                Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                2005 SG Special

Comment

I liked the CD too. I've always been a fan of theirs (well maybe not so much in the Slang era) but this CD sounds more like their pop-metal stuff to me. I would put it down as a good summer CD that will support a summer tour jus fine when combined with their brilliant back catalog.

BTW, they were my first concert. Hysteria tour. Blew my mind. Also got to see them two years ago. Very, very different experience but still a solid concert. Better than amny of the new acts out now.

Comment

I bought the CD... mainly because I do want to have a complete collection, but I still can't get into it.
                    It's definitely not what they were pushing it as. Heavier... no. Like the old days... no.
                    It might grow on me some day like a fungus or mold, but so far it hasn't.
                    -Rick

Comment

It's definitely not what they were pushing it as. Heavier... no. Like the old days... no.
                      Heavier?

Not to me. If anything the guitar tones are slightly harsher, not heavier. I'm actually a fan of Phil's real "thick" tones. A joy to listen to.

Like the old days?

Perhaps the Hysteria - Adrenalize - Euphoria days. But certainly not the Pyromania High and Dry days.

Comment

You have to remember, though, that in the Pyro and High 'n Dry era's that Steve Clark (RIP), had a major influence in the guitar parts of the albums. Steve and Phil just had this connection that produced a kick-ass sound. Not to say anything bad about Viv, but it's different. Won't be the same. Viv wrote two of the songs on this album and they are actually very good. Vivian said that he rarely changes a note of what Steve played because it was so good, it didn't need changing. You've got to give them a little respect if nothing more than being together for 30 years and not having a 4th frontman. Won't mention any names.
                        September 5, 2007
                        PhilCollenAdrenalized.com

Comment

Originally posted by ds0918 View Post
                          You have to remember, though, that in the Pyro and High 'n Dry era's that Steve Clark (RIP), had a major influence in the guitar parts of the albums. Steve and Phil just had this connection that produced a kick-ass sound.
                          FYI, High 'n Dry was Steve and Pete (Willis), not Phil. In fact, Pete took part in the beginning stages of Pyro before he was booted. I always thought that the true magic came when Steve and Pete collaborated. Nothing against Phil, he's a monster hisself, but I definitely prefer Pete to him. Since Pete has agreed that he was out of control with his drinking, I totally understand his sacking as he did that to himself, but I always wondered why Steve wasn't let go when he clearly had just as big a problem.

chuck
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
                            FYI, High 'n Dry was Steve and Pete (Willis), not Phil. In fact, Pete took part in the beginning stages of Pyro before he was booted. I always thought that the true magic came when Steve and Pete collaborated. Nothing against Phil, he's a monster hisself, but I definitely prefer Pete to him. Since Pete has agreed that he was out of control with his drinking, I totally understand his sacking as he did that to himself, but I always wondered why Steve wasn't let go when he clearly had just as big a problem.

chuck
                            Because Pete was an arsehole.
                            Steve was just a nice guy with a problem.

I believe Pete got in a fist fight with Joe, hence his departure. Considering Joe is about 6 foot 3 and Pete is about the same size as Dan Spitz or an oompa loompa, it was probably a stupid thing to do.

But yeah, Steve and Pete were the guitarists who created Pyro. All Phil did was play some solos over what was already down as far as I know.
                            Which is a real fucking shame.
                            I wish they'd have got Pete back in the band when Steve died, instead of the metal hating, non shredding, "nice guy" Viv.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                              Because Pete was an arsehole.
                              Steve was just a nice guy with a problem.

I believe Pete got in a fist fight with Joe, hence his departure. Considering Joe is about 6 foot 3 and Pete is about the same size as Dan Spitz or an oompa loompa, it was probably a stupid thing to do.

But yeah, Steve and Pete were the guitarists who created Pyro. All Phil did was play some solos over what was already down as far as I know.
                              Which is a real fucking shame.
                              I wish they'd have got Pete back in the band when Steve died, instead of the metal hating, non shredding, "nice guy" Viv.
                              LOL, I have this image of Pete trying to take Joe on while drunk. I never heard that one ("Yar! I'll bite yer kneecaps off!"), but then Pete always owned up to his problems at least. I think that he would have made a much better replacement over Viv, but then again, almost anyone would at that. Def ended for me after Pyro and i am not at all impressed with this latest offering, but then that's just my preferences.
                              "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

It sounds so meh.
                                Almost every cut sounds like something off of Pyromania or Hysteria.

So, It's not bad, but has been done before.
                                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                                X