Def Leppard - Its really called Sparkle Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
    FYI, High 'n Dry was Steve and Pete (Willis), not Phil. In fact, Pete took part in the beginning stages of Pyro before he was booted. I always thought that the true magic came when Steve and Pete collaborated. Nothing against Phil, he's a monster hisself, but I definitely prefer Pete to him. Since Pete has agreed that he was out of control with his drinking, I totally understand his sacking as he did that to himself, but I always wondered why Steve wasn't let go when he clearly had just as big a problem.

chuck
    Phil was involved in the High 'n Dry album just not named as a "band member".
    September 5, 2007
    PhilCollenAdrenalized.com

Comment

No. That's wrong. The first job Phil had with Def Leppard was laying down his solos during the Pyromania sessions. And, that was his only contribution to Pyromania. DL did do a remake of "Bringing on the Heartbreak" and Phil is on that recording, but that was after what I mentioned.

Comment

In an interesting interview with Talking Metal from a few weeks ago, Phil gives his story about getting involved with Def Lep. Although he's mainly talking about his current side-project with Paul Cook (the drummer from the Sex Pistols) and others:

(from 11:10 he says exactly what BTB007 above says re: solos and Pyromania).

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
        Tommy just left the band, but everyone else remains. Doug co-wrote and co-produced the record with Coverdale. So i'm thinkin' it's gonna fuckin' rock hard. No pussy shit like Leppard.
        There's also another great recent Talking Metal interview with Doug, where he gives a lot of info. about how they wrote and recorded the new album, etcetera.

Musically, I like neither Whitesnake nor Def Lep., but both Phil and Doug come across as sound, interesting guys in those interviews.

As an aside, for you Def Lep. fans, Joe Elliot was a team captain on a teenage post-school rock quiz here in Ireland that ran for years. He's a humorous guy and seemed to know a lot about music.
        Last edited by ken; 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BTB007 View Post
          No. That's wrong. The first job Phil had with Def Leppard was laying down his solos during the Pyromania sessions. And, that was his only contribution to Pyromania. DL did do a remake of "Bringing on the Heartbreak" and Phil is on that recording, but that was after what I mentioned.
          Didn't they actually re-mix the entire High 'N Dry album? I know they re-did "Bringing on the Heartbreak" and added at least one new song. (Me and My Wine)
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
            Didn't they actually re-mix the entire High 'N Dry album? I know they re-did "Bringing on the Heartbreak" and added at least one new song. (Me and My Wine)

They did remix parts of High n' Dry. But the original was Pete and Steve. Phil didn't come on board at all until the end of Pyromania's recording.

Sorry DS109, but Phil had zilch to do with High and Dry until later when they did a remix.

Again, nothing against Phil, but Def ended for me after Pete left.

chuck
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

the new songs sounded pretty good live
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                the new songs sounded pretty good live

I would have loved to see them live more than the one time I did as a teenager during the High n Dry tour.

Comment

In the same vein...does anyone know who was responsible for the solo in Stagefright off Pyromania? I always thought it sounded like Steve, but never knew for sure...

Comment

The solo for "Stagefright" is a single take from Phil Collen as his "audition" to the band. They liked it so much that it was kept for the song.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      The solo for "Stagefright" is a single take from Phil Collen as his "audition" to the band. They liked it so much that it was kept for the song.

Well it's flippin awesome. For me it's the best solo from Pyromania. So much pure hard rock goodness. Totally kicks ass.

Comment

I agree. Stagefright has a great solo. In fact, I think it's one of Phil's best even to this day.
                        Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                        www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by ds0918 View Post
                          Phil was involved in the High 'n Dry album just not named as a "band member".
                          You have him in your sig, so are clearly a big fan of Phil. So I'm interested to know what makes you think Phil had anything at all to do with HND? Everyone knows he only provided some solos for Pyro - Pete Willis being involved in the writing and rythm stuff - so where did you get the idea Phil was on HND?

And to the guy wanting to know who played the solo on Stagefright (the really fast picking should give it away!):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

From 2:20
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm not getting into the album are "great" deal but the boys are coming to my town along with Cheap Trick so I will definitely go see them, we don't get that many big shows, usually have to go to Sydney, which is fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X