No announcement yet.

anyone heard Mogg/Way "Chocolate Box"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone heard Mogg/Way "Chocolate Box"?

UFO fans? you might know this one?

this is kind of an obsure cd but I figured I'd check in here to see just how obscure. it's from 1999 during one of the many periods when Schenker was on the outs with the reformed UFO, and they got Jeff Kollman to play guitar and called it Mogg/Way since at that time MS still was able to keep them from using the UFO name if he wasn't in. all classic UFO lineup except Kollman and Simon Wright on drums.

really a killer album. very UFOish writing of course, but Jeff Kollman just lights shit up, I had never heard of him before but dayum what an talented and tasty player. he is just all over it, in the best way possible. makes you almost not miss Schenker (he's that good). I heard people saying when I got the cd back then, that he is kind of an "over-player" but they felt he really scaled things back and blended in with the Mogg songwriting really well. they're correct.

check it if you haven't yet.

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Bought it when it came out..very good disc!

Weird, I actually found another used copy for a buck not that long ago..traded it off to my brother in law for the last Mors Principium Est.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Excellent disc all around!
      GM,
      www.aftershok.com

Comment

Awesome info, I will check it out!

Comment

Got it when it first came out and Jeff is an awesome player! Last man in space just cops the Schenker feel or what?

Comment

I like about every tune on the cd. Last Man in Space definitely has the MS vibe going on. I love his slide play on Living and Dying.

Kollman is just amazing, he commands all different styles and has feel out the ass.

talk about a player to emulate, jeez.

Comment

I was lucky enough to take lessons from Jeff back in the day here in Toledo. If it werent for him, I would still probably be slacking on my picking technique. He was the guy that told me straight up, "start picking your notes, man". Of course, that was 15 years ago, but he was still damn good back then. Used to play in a local band here called "Edwin Dare". Very good for the late 80's-early 90's era. Then one day, they just vanished...
              www.myspace.com/madeaband
              www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Man, that's been on the "I really should pick that up"-list since it came out...but the album art scared me... :ROTF: I keep thinking there's a pic of Forrest Gump on the gatefold sleeve explaining that "life is like a box of chocolates...."
                Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by tseegert View Post
                  ...Used to play in a local band here called "Edwin Dare". Very good for the late 80's-early 90's era...
                  If you can find the Edwin Dare stuff, it's very cool. They had three discs, as far as I can tell. Definitely worth buying.

tseegert - that's really cool that you got to study with him. I would think that anyone could learn quite a bit from Jeff.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
                    If you can find the Edwin Dare stuff, it's very cool.
                    +1,000,000
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Comment

Guitarist Jeff Kollman is a master of tone, riffs, and chord voicings - Jeff has performed with Glenn Hughes, Cosmosquad and many others

Comment

holy smoke, thanks for posting that video.
                          I knew there was something going on with his unique tone but didn't think of that drop tuning. it's very cool.

he's making up chords in his own drop tuning. zoiks.

Comment

Working...
                          X