My Son Meets His "Heros"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Son Meets His "Heros"

Ever since my 16 year old son started to dig his old man's music a few years back, Winger has become his favorite band and Reb Beach his favorite guitarist. Last night they played a show at Eck's Saloon near Denver but unfortunately it was a 21 and over show and he couldn't attend. Knowing how much it would mean for him to meet the whole band (he got to meet Reb last summer after a Night Ranger gig) I called the club (I have a little bit of clout being a local musician with a small bit of notoriety) and got permission to bring Kyle in for soundcheck in the afternoon.

They had the main room blocked off so we waited in an adjacent pool/darts room but still had a clear view of the soundcheck which was pretty cool. When they were done, Reb rolled over to Kyle and started talking to him...he remembered him from the Night Ranger gig a few months earlier. After talking for a bit, Kyle mentioned that he's like to meet Kip. Reb said he had just missed him as Kip leaves right after soundcheck and takes a nap back at the hotel. After saying that, he then said "come on, maybe we can catch him". Reb then proceeds to run across the club and out a fire door, setting all the alarms off. He sprints across the parking lot screaming at a white Mustang that was driving off. The car eventually stops and Reb apologizes to Kip but says he has to meet this kid who's such a big fan. Kip hops out of the car and talks to Kyle a bit, gives him abig hug and poses for a picture...very cool as at first he looked a bit put-out that he got flagged down. Kip and Reb then say that they will talk to the bar owner to try and get Kyle in for the gig. Reb tried hard but the guy said he couldn't do it.

Overall, it was a very cool day for my son and a cool day for me seeing him so happy. A couple of pics:

cool story...

btw. is it just me, but Reb looks like he's getting old?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

What do you mean getting, I think they both look like they are already there!

Cool that your kid got to meet them like that though.
      Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Do Winger fans really flash horns? Does not make sense to me. Nice story. Winger is the Elvis of Hair Metal. You pretended you liked them to get the girls that went to see them.

Comment

nice story ..

Comment

That was very cool of those guys.

Reb is a monster player too.
            Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
            Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              cool story...

btw. is it just me, but Reb looks like he's getting old?
              It's been that way for a while. Reb's put on so much weight. He needs to lose some. That's what makes him look old.
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Great story and a memory your son will have forever, thanks to Dad.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Nice story and pictures!
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Most excellent day... one he will remember forever I'm sure!
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Oh, the histroinics!
                      I can picture it.
                      Very cool.

Comment

Very cool! Your son couldn't get in because... he's only 17? :ROTF:
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Very cool! Your son couldn't get in because... he's only 17? :ROTF:

cool story, Rupe.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                            It's been that way for a while. Reb's put on so much weight. He needs to lose some. That's what makes him look old.
                            Hey, how many of us pushing 40 or more AREN'T overweight? I know I can be mistaken for the doughboy, these days! Time is a real bitch, ain't it?
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Great story!

Comment

Working...
                              X