Kataklysm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kataklysm

My son and I went to the Shadows Fall show last night and these guys were one of the opening bands.

Run, don't walk, to find out what that guitarist is using. And make sure you don't buy that gear. The guitar player had possibly the worst sounding tone in metal history. Yep, even worse than the dudes in Slayer.

Before I go search myself I'm going to speculate: EMG pickups running with 4 batteries for 36 volts, a Boss Metal Zone, another Boss Metal Zone, Triple Rectifier, Vintage 30 speakers.

And their sound man needed a kick in the jimmies, the kick drums were mixed so loud you couldn't hardly hear anything else. And the kick drums sounded like shit. And he was the weakest drummer of the night.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
    Run, don't walk, to find out what that guitarist is using. And make sure you don't buy that gear.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

triggered loud kicks.... that's the typical way to hide how much the drummer really sucks
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

We opened for those guys a while back...Never cared for his recorded tone either...Have to look and see what he uses...I thought it was a Randall...probably a Warhead, by your description...lol...

Triggers just insure you get your kicks in the mix...I have heard Nick Barker sound checking without them and he was just as solid...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

.. @ Tim

5150 / old beat up Hamer..last time I saw them.

but that was several year ago..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

He does use a Randall, a T2 I think. Use to use a 5150, but switched to Randall a couple of years ago.

Comment

wow. that's EXACTLY the opposite of my experience with kataklysm.
              first off, i LOVE anything from shadows and dust onwards, especially their latest one. the new song that's available through their myspace player sounds great to me, too, and franky i expect nothing but another kickass album.
              and while i do somewhat agree with sevser - their recorded tone, aside from in the arms of devastation which sounds GREAT to my ears, has never blown me away either - i thought their live sound was one of the very best i've ever experienced when i saw them in 2006. it sounded exactly like the devastation record....
              ...which brings me to the initial "question". JF is kinda known for using 5150s in the studio (although their upcoming release is said to feature a randall of some sort), but live he's been using line 6 gear for quite some time, namely flextone II heads until 2004/5 or something, and a pod xt pro through whatever poweramp is available after that - open air shows like the party.san 2006 (the dvd show) may be an exception though.
              and once again, as far as i am concerned his pod xt pro -> tube poweramp rig sounded nothing but awesome.

of course, seeing how he (apparently) switched to randall for the upcoming record, he might be using different livegear nowadays....which could explain your bad experience.

Comment

J-F is still using the Randall, but his new axes are Washburns. He scored an endorsement deal with them to produce a sig model, but so far there's only the ones they built for him. Not sure when it'll be a production model. I liked his tone the 3 or 4 times I've seen them. Like his recorded tone too.
                THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Fragle,
                  that is exactly how I feel about them. I listened to a couple of songs on pandora and I had to have their album. The tone just blows me away! Even though i have about 2500+ songs and probably close to 100 bands on my Ipod, I can instantly recognize that its Kataklysm that's playing. Something's very unique about the tone.

I love 'in the arms of devastation'. Which others do you personally recommend? especially with the ITAOD type tone?
                  Sam

Comment

Working...
                  X