No announcement yet.

The return of the guitarsolo in the charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason why metal/guitar is cool again is because the mainstream (MTV, BET, VH-1, radio and ect) isn't the only source spoonfeeding people now. Thanks to myspace and youtube ect. People FINALLY know what they've been missing and can't get enough..they were deprived!!

Access to all forms of rock/metal is putting a hurtin on alot of promoters/bands. People know the difference between real metal and well..Disturbed for example. Bands like that will try either to catch up or fade away because they sound completely weak in comparison.

IMO it's phony and pathetic for a metal band to change to be popular (metallica, queensryche ect). Metal bands stay true disregaurding popularity. You NEVER play metal/solos to be popular..they do it because they love it. THAT'S genuine and most people can see that! That's why there' is alot of animosity for those bands..even within they're own camps!!

BTW I have a gripe with bands like Machine Head. Yeah, "Burn my Eyes" was cool in '94. But they are trendhoppers and put out 3-4 NU metal releases. Now they are a "metal" band again.."the new black"..which to me sounds like glorified Emo-"metal" with the standard, happy sing a long chorus..another trend...just like Trivium, KSE and ect. Sure they could play, they sound pretty good now that its SAFE to do so..oh, that is soooooooo metal...NOT! Yes, I know the difference!

Like I've always said, to judge the "greats" one must know ALL the players. I know all the players in the mainstrean..take my word for it, they're not that good. Nothing many of us couldn't do better if given the chance.

BUT BUT BUT..I would take all these "cute" rock stars and wannabe guitar heros over what we had to endure for 15 years.."in the charts" that is. At least I hear guitars these days, instead of DJ's scratching a fuggin' record , which was enjoyable as a hot poker up my ass. So kudos to the bands givin' a shit about guitars again. I'd take any of 'em over the likes Limp fuggin' Bizkit or KOrn anyday!!!

If Limp Bizkit decides they wanna be a METAL band now..I'm actually going to kill Fred Durst. I'll pudslap him to death, then put his red baseball cap on my pud..backwards! Then my pud will front Limp Bizkit and nobody would know the fuggin' difference!

BTW..No apologies for my rant. Thou are BLESSED to have my presence bestowed upon thee!!!

FUGGUMS!
    Last edited by horns666; 06-26-2008, 03:52 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think its probably only the metal solo that slipped out of fashion. E.g. Didnt Santana have a bit of a revival during the quiet period of metal in the charts. In terms of "mega shred soloing", I think Id have to hand that to Dragonforce.. Havent heard so much "widling / noodling/ w*&%()/ since 80s.
      Will big hair / poodle hair cuts and stripey spandex also come back in fashion.. lol.. I think there was recent fashion attempt at reviving the mullet not so long ago.

Comment

Oh Yes, the godforsaken Mullet. I think I'm gonna put down the dispoable Bic razors and let my sack grow out. I want a Mullet on my balls..a Ballet!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Nevermind ..the title of this thread says it all... "In the charts"..the mainstream.
          that's where my confusion lies. The title says "in the charts" and then the opening paragraph refers to Dragonforce, COB & KsE. Maybe the pop charts over there are different, but I haven't heard any of these bands in the Top 40 or on TRL over here
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            that's where my confusion lies. The title says "in the charts" and then the opening paragraph refers to Dragonforce, COB & KsE. Maybe the pop charts over there are different, but I haven't heard any of these bands in the Top 40 or on TRL over here
            Me neither G..but you can buy those at Hot Topic along with pentagram underwear. But that's not the radio!!!

Who'd thunk Satan would go commercial???

Comment

It wasn't just that the guitar solo died, it was a complete lack of musical expression across the board from any instrument. A lot of songs would start out with 5 layers of acoustic BS so you really couldn't hear any real structure. Then it was layered with 8 layers of guitars beating the crap out of the same 4 fuckin cords. There would be a section in the middle with mo singing where a guitar solo COULD be, but god forbid anyone actually put any kind of expression in there, that might actually be considered music.

Matt

Comment

Airbourne has solos, and use ac/dc as a huge influence. Aand they get quite a bit of air play here. As well as a band called The Answer. Some good guitar work there too. Both are more mainstream radio. And get played on a variety of stations. From classic rock to metal stations. At least here in Chicago.
                Gil

Comment

I'm still waiting for the return of GOOD guitar solos
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The last GOOD guitar solo that got major radio time was probably from Skid Row or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                      The last GOOD guitar solo that got major radio time was probably from Skid Row or something like that.
                      "I Remember You" has an absolutely badass solo for such a girly song

Vito Bratta always put out great shit too
                      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Sum 41. Guitar solos.
                        Chops?

No.

Ha.
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The "solo" lasts from about 1:55 to 2:05.
                          Solo? I mean, some very, very poor little melody line which has been recorded a million times by some guy until it's PERFECT.

You call that a fucking guitar solo?

Pfft.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GryphonGuitar View Post
                            I remember watching Some Kind of Monster and the solo discussion there...

Lars said something to the likes of "We've decided not to put any solos on the record because that's kind of dated"

Kirk: "Can I just say that's bullshit? Because if we don't play solos that's really going to date the record to this specific period, and besides it's being trendy"

Go Kirk.
                            And they didn't let him put any solos on that album anyway. :ROTF:
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

IMO it's phony and pathetic for a metal band to change to be popular (metallica, queensryche ect). Metal bands stay true disregaurding popularity. You NEVER play metal/solos to be popular..they do it because they love it. THAT'S genuine and most people can see that! That's why there' is alot of animosity for those bands..even within they're own camps!!
                              Nah.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I remember first hearing Avenged Sevenfold and being really surprised to hear guitar solos on radio again. It started to renew (a little tiny bit of) my faith in young musicians again. Synister Gates is really goddamn good.

The 90's were just depressing for radio. Everybody going "unplugged" and playing in coffee houses and such. Folk music blew in the 60's, and blew some more in the 90's. I'm thrilled to death to hear guitar solos (even bad ones) on the radio again!

Nobody makes a pointy-enough acoustic, anyway!
                                The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X