Viv Campbell slams Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viv Campbell slams Gibson

Was laughing at this quote from Vivian Campbell in the new Hendrix GW issue when asked what gear he is currently using...

"I've been playing Les Pauls, but I hate to give any press to the fucking Gibson fucking guitar company because they're a pain. Gibson as a guitar company is just really on the slide. They're not really supportive of their artists, but I just happen to really love playing Les Pauls."

Sounds like Viv wasn't on the artist distribution list for a complimentary Slash model.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Originally posted by Larz View Post
    W
    Sounds like Viv wasn't on the artist distribution list for a complimentary Slash model.
    :ROTF:
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

When iy comes to VC...DIO says it best!..http://youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I love Viv's Dio era stuff, but it seems like all he does now is bitch & moan. He needs to take a fucking step back & realize one important thing: he gets to make a great living playing the guitar. Millions of people would trade places in a second & be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          When iy comes to VC...DIO says it best!..http://youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo
          :ROTF: the EVIL ELF STRIKES BACK!
          give em HELL ronnie!
          what a wanker VC must be to make RJD talk about him like that?
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            I love Viv's Dio era stuff, but it seems like all he does now is bitch & moan. He needs to take a fucking step back & realize one important thing: he gets to make a great living playing the guitar. Millions of people would trade places in a second & be happy.
            yeah i agree it is like when allan holdsworth says " i cant stand anything i played last year it was pure rubbish!"
            I will take some of that rubbish playing please

Comment

All I've read on guitar forums for the past year or more is how Gibson's current quality is shockingly bad. Yet Viv says it and people say he should shut up?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of VC at all, I think his work in Def Leppard has been tiresome.
              But come on, he's saying publicly what a LOT of people have been saying on internet forums.
              If it was someone "cool" saying it everyone would be saying he's right!
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

News Flash: Gibson IS NOT the only brand with quality control issues. I just read a thread about a custom shop limited run Jackson with a crooked truss rod. Quite frequently I see where people are bitching about Fenders with poorly crowned frets.

Personally, I think piss poor quality runs rampant throughout the industry.
                "POOP"

Comment

Maybe so, but I've read quite a few threads on forums recently where guys have been to shops looking to buy an SG or Les Paul and they try loads of Gibsons and Epiphones then claim the Epi's are at least as good or even better.
                  I have never owned a Gibson, as I don't have the cash. But from what I've gathered from people who HAVE owned and played them, their standards have dropped to rock bottom in recent years, Viv is just telling it like he sees it.

Although if they're so bad, I don't know why he doesn't just buy a different brand Les Paul. Like an Epiphone!
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                    All I've read on guitar forums for the past year or more is how Gibson's current quality is shockingly bad. Yet Viv says it and people say he should shut up?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of VC at all, I think his work in Def Leppard has been tiresome.
                    But come on, he's saying publicly what a LOT of people have been saying on internet forums.
                    If it was someone "cool" saying it everyone would be saying he's right!

We're assuming he's talking about quality issues because those are the issues we have, or, more precisely, the issue that the "average" non-famous Gibson customer has, but his issue appears to be related to "artist support", whatever the hell that is. Viv is living in a different world than we are. I highly doubt his Les Pauls show up with sharp frets.

Having said that, I got no problem with him slagging a company if he's not happy. Better than being a phony.

But what a great commercial for Gibson! "Vivian Campbell thinks we are a horrible, rude, unsupportive company. He hates us. Maybe hate is too weak a word. Nevertheless, he can't quit us. Why? "Because (he) really loves playing Les Pauls".

"You can hate us, but we both know you're going to play us."

Vass
                    Last edited by Vass; 07-01-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                      Was laughing at this quote from Vivian Campbell in the new Hendrix GW issue when asked what gear he is currently using...

"I've been playing Les Pauls, but I hate to give any press to the fucking Gibson fucking guitar company because they're a pain. Gibson as a guitar company is just really on the slide. They're not really supportive of their artists, but I just happen to really love playing Les Pauls."

Viv isn't saying anything about quality control, he is saying that he doesn't appreciate the way they treat their artists.

The only time I ever hear him speak or read articles about him he's complaining about something. He's a baby...

Comment

My comments were in response to another poster.
                        "POOP"

Comment

By the way, Phil said the PC1s he's playing are "awesome guitars"
                          Jackson KV2
                          Jackson KE1T
                          Jackson KE1F
                          Jackson SL1

Comment

When Viv puts electrical tape over the Gibson logo, I'll believe he doesn't want to give them publicity. Until he does that, he's giving them free publicity every time he walks onstage with one.

I bet he's pissed at Gibson because they didn't fall over backwards for him. Let's face it, he's never been a superstar. Never. He quit Dio when they were getting popular. He was a "hired gun" for one Whitesnake tour. And he joined Def Lep after their popularity. So he shouldn't be too surprised when the artist rep says, "Vivian who?".
                            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Dio's best stuff was with Vivian, and as much as he's been a tool since, he was a monster player with Dio.

Vivian is by far Dio's most recognizable guitarist.

Comment

Working...
                              X