No announcement yet.

The Band Recommendation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a suggestion, could everyone bold the band names? It makes it easier to pick them out from the text.
    Scott

Comment

For more "cookie monster" stuff that I actually like (very melodic despite the vocals), there's:

Dark Tranquility - "Damage Done" is a great album

Carcass - "Heartwork" and "Swansong" are good

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
        I guess I'll start off with Wintersun. They're one of those Melo-death bands but with something different about them. Not my usual cup of tea but good non-the-less for people who like that stuff. Some suggested listening would include "Winter Madness", "Beyond the Dark Sun", and "Sleeping Stars". They currently only have one album out but a new one is coming later this year apparently.
        Listening to Sleeping Stars right now. Cool stuff. Very reminiscent of Arcturus, but a bit more Viking.
        Scott

Comment

Cool ..a metal band recommendation thread..how cute!

Don't ask me, I know NOTHING about metal!!

I'm not playin..but I did order a big old batch of awesomeness!!!

Nope, I'm not disclosing who or what..they are all mine!!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm not playin..but I did order a big old batch of awesomeness, but I'm not disclosing who/what..its all mine!!!

BTW..there is nothing in this thread thus far that I don't have!

So there...

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

So what's Bill Z's take on Haggard? And do you know of anyone else doing anything similar?

Comment

Martyr a technical metal band out of Quebec insanely good, solos are Allan Holdsworth'esque if you like that, the first album Hopeless Hopes seems like old thrash with technical and progressive elements, the second Warp Zone sounds like Death(Human and Individual Thought Patterns era style) and Meshuggah, once again with that little push of technicality, and the third album Feeding The Abscess IS REALLY REALLY TECHNICAL and hard to get into if you haven't heard the first 2 albums or are used to heavily technical metal

Personally for starting off with them Hopeless Hopes and/or Warp Zone are really good starts, personally I find Warp Zone to be their best work.
                Last edited by jesude22; 07-08-2008, 01:40 AM.
                Jackson SL-2H Soloist (Ferrari Red)
                Jackson Stars RR-J2 Rhoads (Black)
                Jackson KVX10 w/EMG 81 bridge, EMG 60 neck (Black)
                Ibanez RG470 w/OFR, Seymour Duncan SH-5 neck and bridge (Titanium Ice)
                Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus (Vintage Sunburst)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Actually, Into the Pit is from Rob's first band after JP called Fight.
                  Yes I realize that. I was more just saying his non-Priest work in general but thanks for the info anyways.
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,
                  I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    Rhapsody - again, already mentioned, but over-the-top epic symphonic metal doesn't get much better than their Dawn of Victory. Don't care too much for the last two albums though. I miss the cheesy narrator.
                    That dude is I believe Christopher Lee from that Star Wars Episode 2 movie. That narrating was so awesome.

Also, good work getting this off to a start guys. If it gets a bit bigger I'll see if I can create an alphabetized list of bands or something of that nature. I definitely have to check out some of these bands.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      Just a suggestion, could everyone bold the band names? It makes it easier to pick them out from the text.
                      Good idea. Could you guys possibly start doing that?
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

More on the rock side: AlterBridge, The Answer, Airbourne, Black Stone Cherry, Stone Gods
                        Blues: Joe Bonamassa, John Mayer

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          Where did he say it was just metal bands? Almost all the metal recommendations I've gotten here have been pretty much unlistenable noise.

But to understand where I'm coming from, you must realize that my favorite new-to-me band in the last year or so is Blue Man Group...
                          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

The Cinematic Orchstra - Something ambient and a bit jazzy at time.

The Cinematic Orchestra's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.
                            If a fat girl falls in the forest, and no one is there to see it, do the trees still laugh??

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
                              Where did he say it was just metal bands? Almost all the metal recommendations I've gotten here have been pretty much unlistenable noise.

But to understand where I'm coming from, you must realize that my favorite new-to-me band in the last year or so is Blue Man Group...
                              Ahhh..I don't know. I just glanced at the thread and saw a bunch of metal picks starting with Ben. So I assumed that's his intent..and well..mine..of course.

I have an idea..wait!!:ROTF:

Man, I'm baked..I double posted sorta..this new format is fucking me up.

Comment

The Beatles - a very good band

Led Zeppelin - also a very good band
                                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X