No announcement yet.

The Band Recommendation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno..I started this around 2002...right G?

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ight=bill+home

The first few pages then I quit. It's been MUCH revised since. I just orderd a boatload of stuff from Century Media. That had a 4th of July sale that ended yesterday..I dropped over 2 bills. I had to catch up..and I'm far from catching up. Still alot more bands I really want..as I'm "weeding" or just enkoying my faves at the moment!

I'll grab some samples off youtube or something for you guys..when I get the chance.

I far exceeded over 5K metal cds in my collection and that me weeding thru them almost daily. So, I still like everything I have..and yes, I do listen to all of them!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
      So what's Bill Z's take on Haggard? And do you know of anyone else doing anything similar?
      Cool...But I'm partial to Therion ..for that kinda style.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        Cool ..a metal band recommendation thread..how cute!

I'm not playin..but I did order a big old batch of awesomeness, but I'm not disclosing who/what..its all mine!!!

BTW..there is nothing in this thread thus far that I don't have!

So there...
        so you have Anarion & Eyefear now?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
          That dude is I believe Christopher Lee from that Star Wars Episode 2 movie. That narrating was so awesome.

Also, good work getting this off to a start guys. If it gets a bit bigger I'll see if I can create an alphabetized list of bands or something of that nature. I definitely have to check out some of these bands.
          Yeah, I know it's Christopher Lee (a.k.a. Saruman) and think it's hilarious that he was a fan of the band before doing the narrating, but the other guy just fit the band better. Plus it seems that the guitars are more in the background on the last two albums.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            so you have Anarion & Eyefear now?

Yes, and yes..with your recommendation.

BTW..Rhapsody..You mean Rhapsody of Fire. I saw Luca Turelli and his merry men open for Manowar. Well, they were certainly better than Manowar..very good muscians. Unfortuantely their style didn't go over very well in Cleveland withn the small crowd. They's prolly have a much better chance nowadays..kids dig powermetal via Dragonforce.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
              *** Shit... Texas Hippie Coalition " !! Game over !
              Holy Murphy! I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of that singer. Looks like he could snap my neck with one finger.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Hey Bill, do you remember why they changed their name to Rhapsody of Fire? Wasn't it some type of copyright thing on the name or something? And yes, from the videos I've seen of them they play everything flawlessly. I still find it hilarious how the one singer pronounces stuff. He pronounces the "w" in sword in the song Emerald Sword or he sings what sounds to be the word "swirled". amazing singer either way, that Fabio Lione guy.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's an example of their playing and Fabio's hilarious pronunciations.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

SAVAFUCKINTAGE!

also
                  MERCIFUL FATE( and KING DIAMONDS SOLO STUFF like ABIGAIL) or this
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

ARCH ENEMY
                  OLD VANHALEN
                  OLD JUDAS PRIEST
                  OLD IRON MAIDEN
                  the list goes on and on!
                  Last edited by savage; 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM.
                  If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
                    SAVAFUCKINTAGE!

also
                    MERCIFUL FATE( and KING DIAMONDS SOLO STUFF like ABIGAIL) or this

ARCH ENEMY
                    OLD VANHALEN
                    OLD JUDAS PRIEST
                    OLD IRON MAIDEN
                    the list goes on and on!
                    GRAANDMAAAAA!!!!
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Winterhawk - late 70's guitar rock

Hellfueld - sounds just like Ozzy on cocaine

Wolf - the Swedish Iron Maiden

Cauldron - heavy metal power trio from Toronto

Twisted Tower Dire - power metal from NC

Widow - shameless self promotion

Viper - thrashy melodic metal from NC

Leadfoot - kick ass southern rock from NC

Dreamscapes of the Perverse - NC blackmetal aka "the sons of southern darkness"

Here Lies... - NC's answer to Arch Enemy

Blatant Dissaray - Testament meets Metallica from NC

The Beeding Hearts - Cheep Trick meets power pop from NC

Lunger - hard rock with a wild west theme from NC
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                        Hey Bill, do you remember why they changed their name to Rhapsody of Fire? Wasn't it some type of copyright thing on the name or something? And yes, from the videos I've seen of them they play everything flawlessly. I still find it hilarious how the one singer pronounces stuff. He pronounces the "w" in sword in the song Emerald Sword or he sings what sounds to be the word "swirled". amazing singer either way, that Fabio Lione guy.

Here's an example of their playing and Fabio's hilarious pronunciations.
                        I'm pretty sure the name change was just to make them easier to find in searches. Though it might also have something to do with the "Rhapsody" online music service.

The live clips I've seen really show off how good their singer can be, he's way better than the record from what I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                          I'm pretty sure the name change was just to make them easier to find in searches. Though it might also have something to do with the "Rhapsody" online music service.

The live clips I've seen really show off how good their singer can be, he's way better than the record from what I've heard.
                          Yeah, the Rhapsody music service thing is what I thought it might be. I'll look into it.

On a different subject, "Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter" just started playing on my iTunes shuffle list. Great Song
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Here's some to start. I'll give u in-dire-need-of-some-musical-schooling motherfuckers a shitload more later.

Neal Morse [HIS SOLO STUFF. GET SOLA SCRIPTURA NOW: PAUL GILBERT ON GUITARS]

Maximum The Hormone [REALLY LIKE THESE GUYS / DRUMMER = FEMALE]

Daft Punk [LEGENDS, Nuff Said]

Ulver [OWNS YOUR SOUL]

Ozric Tentacles [DOPE UP, KICK BACK, CHILL OUT]
                            fractal anims from (Jock Cooper, www.fractal-recursions.com)with Ozrics tune

Gojira [HEAVIEST FUCKING PIECE OF MUSIC I HAVE EVER HEARD]

The Red Shore (R.I.P. ... ) [This is the best fucking band in a LONG time]

The Devil Wears Prada

August Burns Red

Carnifex
                            That was her first timeThat was her last timeCut at your face Blood in the sinkYou'll hate yourself Till the day you dieTill the day you dieBlood on your han...

Suicide Silence
                            SUICIDE SILENCE - Bludgeoned To Death . Taken from the album, 'The Cleansing', Century Media Records 2007.

Heaven Shall Burn [pretty generic/commercial]

And last, but not least, my favs:

Between The Buried And Me

[CHECK OUT THAT FUCKING SICK BREAKDOWN AT THE END!]

(If you don't like it, keep your 80's glam metal listening pussified ass QUIET and move the fuck on. )
                            Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 07-09-2008, 08:49 AM.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post

Gojira [HEAVIEST FUCKING PIECE OF MUSIC I HAVE EVER HEARD]

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!
                              MUTHA FUKER they are heavy!
                              now that is metal!
                              Last edited by savage; 07-09-2008, 09:44 AM.
                              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

got anything else that heavy?
                                Last edited by savage; 07-09-2008, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X