The Band Recommendation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
    (If you don't like it, keep your 80's glam metal listening pussified ass QUIET and move the fuck on. )
    okay... *moves on, goes and listens to Round and Round...again*
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

(If you don't like it, keep your 80's glam metal listening pussified ass QUIET and move the fuck on. )[/quote]

ok moving on myself......

back to the new Satriani album

Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

may I recommend New Orleans Valume Nob, SINERGY the new TESTAMENT

& if you missed it the first time around go back & grab VINNIE MOORE'S MIND's EYE

I Killed Cookie Monster!!!
      “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Disincarnate - "Dreams of the Carrion Kind" was one off album in 1993 from James Murphy and three supremely talented unknowns. Old-school death metal (in the vein of Death) with seriously clever guitar hooks, melodies and playing. Available on re-release.

Originally posted by thetroy View Post

Carcass - "Heartwork" and "Swansong" are good
        "Necroticism - descanting the insalubrious" is my favourite Carcass album.

Firebird - Super-ghey stoner rock of the '60s Cream vareity... but it's Bill Steer from Carcass's band and the guitar playing rocks. This is the man that Michael Amott said was his favorite guitar player and one of his biggest influences. Check out "No 3.".

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.C View Post
          I Killed Cookie Monster!!!
          Yay!!! Take that Cookie Monster!
          On a different topic... SLICK BLACK CADILLAC!! God I love Quiet Riot.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post

Gojira [HEAVIEST FUCKING PIECE OF MUSIC I HAVE EVER HEARD]
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Fucking hell. That's brilliant. And they play Jacksons. I nearly bought a Gojira on spec. while in Paris a couple of weeks ago. Now if you'll excuse me...

...Ken goes straight to amazon to order Gojira's back-catalogue

Here's that song live with a Jackson SLS and RR1:

Last edited by ken; 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Nightwish
              Nightwish "Amaranth" official music video.Order at: http://smarturl.it/NW-DPP-NBSubscribe to Nuclear Blast: http://bit.ly/subs-nb-ytSubscribe to Nightwish: h...

Nightwish "Bye Bye Beautiful" official music video.Order at: http://smarturl.it/NW-DPP-NBSubscribe to Nuclear Blast: http://bit.ly/subs-nb-ytSubscribe to Nig...

Firewind
              FIREWIND - Falling To Pieces (Official Video). Taken from the album "Allegiance". SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/firetvDirected by Patric Ullaeus.Lyrics:...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Just one more guitar!

Comment

ok --

lillian axe -- 80's pop metal , great guitar player Stevie Blaze (check out (all's fair in love and war))

Ratt -- who here doesn't know of Warren D
                Savatage ,Megadeth ,Iron Maiden , and the heaviest of all Jim Croce
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I'm waiting to unleash the fuggin' fury..too busy at home tho.

I'm going to appproach this differntly, because I did this so many times before. I want someone to shout out the bands/genre they like and I'll go from there.

There's is just way too many bands to list. So I guess that would be more accurate and easier.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                    Firebird - Super-ghey stoner rock of the '60s Cream vareity... but it's Bill Steer from Carcass's band and the guitar playing rocks. This is the man that Michael Amott said was his favorite guitar player and one of his biggest influences. Check out "No 3.".
                    sounds intriguing. Are they anything like Spiritual Beggars?

oh, and Gojira are brilliant!

Daath - Can't recall if they've been mentioned but check them out for some wicked riffage & great all round playing. Jeri recommended them and while it took a little while for me to warm to them, now I think they are awesome. I find the really lasting stuff takes a little while to get into anyway.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Daath is great!! one of better new metal bands on the roadrunner roster.

The Absence "riders of the plague"is essential for any AE fan..its what Arch Enemy should have sounded like on their last two releases.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ok then, Bill do you know good power metal bands similar to Crystal Eyes? I really dig that kind of stuff. I believe I originally got the recommendation to check out Crystal Eyes from one of your old threads and I'm quite sure there are more like them that you would probably know about. Any help finding bands would be greatly appreciated.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Stone-Good old Finnish thrash,Emotional Playground is the best album.
                          Airdash-A bit stranger finnish thrash(check their myspace in my sig)
                          Kreator-German Thrash,New stuff is best.

They all use Jackson!
                          http://www.myspace.com/bothendsofthepath
                          Anyone have a je-1000 or je-1200 availible?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                            Ok then, Bill do you know good power metal bands similar to Crystal Eyes? I really dig that kind of stuff. I believe I originally got the recommendation to check out Crystal Eyes from one of your old threads and I'm quite sure there are more like them that you would probably know about. Any help finding bands would be greatly appreciated.
                            This is EXACTLY what I mean..a band/genre reference is the perfect way to start.

Okay, Now its time I get serious . I've been a fan of Crystal Eyes since their first "world of black and silver" that was released 10 years ago..then onto "in silence they march". Those two are still my faves because they have a certain spark that rarely stands out in the infinite sea that is Power Metal. Michael Dahl has a style all his own much like the original singer in Falconer. Not an awesome singers, but they gave those bands their identity! Unfornately, Dahl left after "Vengeance decending". Then comes Lost Horizon's MONSTER singer Daniel Heiman. Even tho He has a superior voice it didn't mesh that well with CE on 'Confession of the maker". They got got some of their magic back with new singer Nico Adamsen on "Dead city dreaming"..but it's not the same as they were with Dahl IMO. So, the first two CE are still their absolute best and never seemed to capture that magic since. Now, as far as one of the best unknown singers in power metal.. Daniel's Heiman's band Lost Horizon is fucking incredible and catchy as hell..with vocal performance that still gives me shivers. The two LH releases are absolutely must haves for any fan into bands such as CE. Both "Awakening the world" and "A flame to the ground below" fucking rule! But I had these since they were new so we've grown together over the years. After Daneil left Crystal Eyes he went onto another killer and tad heavier band Heed.."The call"..again another must have!! Please by all means there's samples posted all over the net on this stuff...or just buy it if you into this style..you'll love 'em.

This is just one of hundreds or thousands of examples within incredible music circlers that must be heard IMO. Many people only like certian generes of metal/music. Rarely does fans of death/black metal embrace power/prog metal, especially when it comes to vocals. I embrace ANYTHING that has any musical value. Stuff that actually inpires me to keep playing myself. I appreciate talent, song craft, and skilled musicianship convey in a very well produced product to indulge in. Many bands and memebers crossed over and blurred the lines of genres taking the best elements of thrash or even death/black metal and injected that formula into power and prog styles which can make for one hell of a dynamic listen..many popular power and prog bands done that already.

Don't consume whatever is thrown at you..most often than not its complete gabage. Do your own research and discover all the great music that is out there..you'll be amazed. If I could point anyone in the right direction I will be happy to do so.
                            Last edited by horns666; 07-10-2008, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Okay, so I love Voivod. Nothingface forward, mind you, the early stuff I listen to only as a curiosity. Will I enjoy Kosmos, E-Force and Project: Failing Flesh? I think there was another project in there called "Les Skorches" or something.

Looks like Voivod are doing a few new dates with Dan Mongrain from Martyr on guitar. And *YVES THERIAULT* on bass again! Wow, that is just too much.
                              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                                sounds intriguing. Are they anything like Spiritual Beggars?
                                Firebird are normally called a "'70s rock" band. I think the riffs are more intricate than the Spiritual Beggars, without taking away from the driving rock tempo. I would describe it as sounding like Cocaine era Cream, but with more notes per bar without taking away from the groove. Bill Steer's tone even sounds Clapton-ish, IMO. However, like Amott, I'm biased as I always loved Steer's playing.

There's some live stuff on youtube:

Comment

Working...
                                X