No announcement yet.

The Band Recommendation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i went to the local record store and to my surprise they had The Lost Horizon album Awakening the World and Bill, i owe you one, it's pure awesomeness. All the way down to the epic liner notes and I quote "First of all I thank Myself for ignoring all the wail from the Mob of Conformity and walking My own path in Life." This band is intense!!! Thanks Bill!!!
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Heathen

Metallica AJFA/MOP style riffing
      Metallica AJFA/MOP tone (Mark III)
      Anthrax style vocals
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
        i went to the local record store and to my surprise they had The Lost Horizon album Awakening the World and Bill, i owe you one, it's pure awesomeness. All the way down to the epic liner notes and I quote "First of all I thank Myself for ignoring all the wail from the Mob of Conformity and walking My own path in Life." This band is intense!!! Thanks Bill!!!
        I seem to remember one of the guys thanking Doom 1, 2, and 3 in the liner notes. And aren't they called like "Preternatural Antagonist" and such other epic things?

I disagree with Bill, though...Flame to the Ground Beneath sucks balls. It didn't have the fire of their debut.

Just went to their website and saw this:

Metal Against The Drugs
        b a n n e r

The author allows and exhorts You to use the picture below FOR FREE on Your future albums! It is to be put on the albums' back cover! Join Lost Horizons way of fuck-off showing to the drugs!

Last edited by Spivonious; 07-11-2008, 12:08 PM.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          I seem to remember one of the guys thanking Doom 1, 2, and 3 in the liner notes. And aren't they called like "Preternatural Antagonist" and such other epic things?

Yes they do have the hilarious names. Here I'll list them along with some other stuff:

Cosmic Antagonist(guitar)

Ethereal Magnaminus(vocals)

Preternatural Transmorgifyer(drums) (This guy thanks HIMSELF in the liner notes for not conforming, he also thanks Christopher Walken, Muhammed Ali,Mike Portnoy, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dog and the Wu-tang Clan)

Transcendental Protagonist(Guitar)( he hails to Doom 1,2,3 Wolfenstien 3D and Unreal games, Indians, H.P Lovecraft, food, ear stoppers, Egypt and John Williams)

****Please Note that I AM NOT KIDDING ON ANY OF THIS****

You know you have a truly amazing power metal band when you thank the Wu-Tang Clan
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

On another note, I've started compiling all the bands. I'm about half done and am at 2 and a bit pages so far
            "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

..I only mentioned Lost Horizon because Ben Mentioned Crystal Eyes..and they quickly came to mind. I really like Daniel Heiman..that dude has an incredible voice I actually like their 2nd more than their first..it just grew on me for some reason. He reminds me a little bit of Midnight of early Crimson Glory. Yes, the grease paint and silly names are a bit Spinal Tap/Manowar-ish..but good players none the less. I haven't been on their myspace..Its just like Black metal guys with their fuggin' names..what the hell??!!:ROTF:

Oh, get Heed, "The call"..they're heavier and little more straight forward without the greaspaint..I think. I haven't checked their myspace either..I could be wrong. :ROTF:

I would use the name Bill Z Bub on my cd..because well..that's gay! You gotta have a little gaynees in the metal. All Metal hath thy gaynees..gayness be thy name!!

Ben..Your welcome.

You guys have a great weekend. I'll be back with some more mentions..

Necro has to pick Voivodian shit..one of a kind monsters. Nothingface rules. I like stuff from that era but nothing really sounds like them. I was diggin' on some Anacrusis, Athesist, Znowhite, Heathen, Sabbat, Realm, Hexenhouse, Forbidden, Pestilence, and Last Crack last night...I like alot of metal that came out around '90.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dr. Sin, Awesome Brazillian band, most of it's pretty heavy and melodic.
                Cirith Ungol, Very old school shit out of the early 80's some of it's cool
                Last edited by jacksoncsplayer; 07-12-2008, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Necro has to pick Voivodian shit..one of a kind monsters. Nothingface rules. I like stuff from that era but nothing really sounds like them.
                  All I'm asking is... will I like the Voivod offshoots — Kosmos, E-Force, Project: Failing Flesh — or are they not worth buying? How about Martyr?
                  please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
                    All I'm asking is... will I like the Voivod offshoots — Kosmos, E-Force, Project: Failing Flesh — or are they not worth buying? How about Martyr?
                    I didn't care too much for E-force. Martyr is AWESOME..finally their last "Feeding the Abcess" is on its way..Century Media finally got it back in stock after a year of waiting. I had warp zone and their first. Very technical prog death stuff musch like Theory in Practice, Necrophagist, Symbyosis, Athiest, Capharnaum, Alarum, Cynic..just really crazy stuff. I think you'll love it!

Kosmos is OK ..I don't have Failing Flesh I have to look into that one.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

Oh, get Heed, "The call"..they're heavier and little more straight forward without the greaspaint..I think. I haven't checked their myspace either..I could be wrong. :ROTF:

Ben..Your welcome.
                      But the body oil/paint/cape thing is so awesome. The bigger the cape and the greasier your well-built body is, the more Power Metal you are!!

I will definitely check out Heed.

And, thanks again, I'm especially digging the song "World Through My Fateless Eyes".
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

They obviously don't take themselves too seriously which is a good thing IMO

Comment

Air
                          M83
                          JJ Cale
                          Omni
                          Ulver
                          Joakim's Edits
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Listening to Sleeping Stars right now. Cool stuff. Very reminiscent of Arcturus, but a bit more Viking.
                            Yeah that's a pretty good song. If you like that one you should check out Death and the Healing. It's that but with clean vocals and a really good solo.
                            Last edited by Ben...; 07-14-2008, 11:15 PM.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Listening to Sleeping Stars right now. Cool stuff. Very reminiscent of Arcturus, but a bit more Viking.
                              Arcturus is pretty awesome from what I've heard so far. The reason Wintersun may sound more "Viking" is partly because Jari Maenpaa's old band Ensiferum is a full-on Viking metal band. Lots of Scandinavian sounding chants and that sort of thing and lyrics about sailing, pillaging and the Gods.
                              "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                              X