Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We argue a lot about shredders around here...but

Certainly one of the fastest ever, shows us just how heartfelt, and
    soulful a shredder can be... R.I.P. Shawn... this one gives me "Chills".....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Good post, that was very nice to listen to.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

You know, I have seen the name on here a few times, but I have no idea who he is. Was he in a band or always a solo act? He's pretty good, I wouldn't mind a schooling on him
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
        You know, I have seen the name on here a few times, but I have no idea who he is. Was he in a band or always a solo act? He's pretty good, I wouldn't mind a schooling on him
        Shawn Lane is really famous for his solo stuff, especially his album "Powers of 10"

I believe he was also in another band when he was like, 16.

This song is great, it's truly emotional and that's all I can really say about it.
        Originally posted by horns666
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Very moving piece. Vocal quality to his playing. Guy can rip too. Best of both worlds.
          G.

Comment

At 16 he got the gig in "Black Oak Arkansas"... with Jim Dandy on vocals..
            there are vids of him doing insane lead work at 17 ! He could play the
            keyboards like he played guitar too... a world class musician.

Comment

This is the some thing i put on to shut one guy up that said
              "shawn is just about technique/ speed and nothing else"
              needless to say he is NOT saying that any longer!
              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Very cool stuff, thanks for the post!

Comment

Nice stuff...he was a monster player

Comment

I liked this piece, and the playing was great. When Shawn starts ripping though, I get kinda bored. Are there any videos of him that have a balance of insanity and the emotional playing you see here? Everything else I've seen from him has been purely technical wanking.

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
                      This is the some thing i put on to shut one guy up that said
                      "shawn is just about technique/ speed and nothing else"
                      needless to say he is NOT saying that any longer!
                      *** Back in 95' i think? My wife found "Powers of 10"...and brought it
                      home... i came home a few hours later and found it on the stereo...she said "I love this album"! Well..thats usually the kiss of death, and so i
                      listened to 2 songs, and decided i was dissapointed in it...as it was too
                      musical, and to smooth and well written for me! Classy in other words...:ROTF: I wanted a Paul Gilbert shred fest dammit! But after about a month or two..i listened to it a few more times...and kept going back to it..(one of the main reasons "Epilogue for Lisa" (his sister) And "Grey Piano's flying"... funny that a year later, it was one of my favorites!
                      The shred is there...it's just underneath great writing, and done tastefully! Way too much quality, for this superficial wannabee!

Grey Piano's flying...and his fingers too!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by Robert Burns; 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I like how Shawn Lane seems to be getting more well known, recently. I am a major fan...

For me, he was the total package, as that "Epilogue" shows. He wrote it for his sister as Robert said, or about her. She died in a car crash.

For similar levels of awesome I like this song:

Then you have the performances of "Death Theme" and so on, similar levels of emotional intensity. Then he could obviously just switch and go off on crazy crazy insane guitar. Like I said, total package.

If you listen to his live stuff, it's basically apparent that, in range, skill, ability and emotional intensity and phrasing etc, he was probably one of the best, if not the best electric guitar player of all time. But you have to listen to quite a few things to realise that, not all of them freely available.

IMO.
                        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Damn, that was soo emotional.Can't get more feeling than that.God bless.
                          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                            If you listen to his live stuff, it's basically apparent that, in range, skill, ability and emotional intensity and phrasing etc, he was probably one of the best, if not the best electric guitar player of all time. But you have to listen to quite a few things to realise that, not all of them freely available.

IMO.
                            +1, and he couldn't have been a nicer or more generous guy... ...total package indeed.

Comment

Lane was obviously a monster player and a gigantically good musician, but this piece does little for me. It doesn't "move", it sounds boxed off or static or something to me.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X