We argue a lot about shredders around here...but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
    Lane was obviously a monster player and a gigantically good musician, but this piece does little for me. It doesn't "move", it sounds boxed off or static or something to me.
    ** Being live'...in this seminar take, it's about 1/2 of what it is, on the
    album. The studio take of this song..is sparkling, and very moving.
    I think the poor audio quality of this being a live take took some of
    the emotional aura from it. Damn, im waxing poetic!
    He certainly lacks the poise and beauty of Necrophizzzle~

Last edited by Robert Burns; 07-21-2008, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
      ** Being live'...in this seminar take, it's about 1/2 of what it is, on the
      album. The studio take of this song..is sparkling, and very moving.
      I think the poor audio quality of this being a live take took some of
      the emotional aura from it. Damn, im waxing poetic!
      Yes, the album version is like a tiny glimpse of Heaven.

And songs do not ever move me, or make me wax poetic.

Anyway, re: my comment about him ebing "Teh best" mainly I am thinking of The Willies stuff, where he takes cover songs and just blasts them intot he stratosphere. The version the Willys did of "Axis: Bold As Love" at Mud Island is probably "exhibit a"/sine qua non of my assertion. Acres fo feel, tone and passion. Basically kickass.

Then you get the different Shawn of Good People IN Times of Evil, and the Paris DVD, playing beautiful songs like Aga of the Ladies.
      http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Here is the video of Bold as Love BTW:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Lane playing with Indian dudes in a small group

Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane, Selvaganesh and Umamahesh Vinayakaram: Paris, New Morning 2001I'm not actually sure if that's V Selvaganesh or V Umashankar

Later Lane style solo from the same gig as above.

Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane, V Selvaganesh and the Vinayakram Brothers - Live in Paris (DVD)
        Last edited by wanthairspray; 07-22-2008, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
          At 16 he got the gig in "Black Oak Arkansas"... with Jim Dandy on vocals..
          there are vids of him doing insane lead work at 17 ! He could play the
          keyboards like he played guitar too... a world class musician.
          Seems like I read somewhere that he was actually 14 or 15 when he got that gig!
          I've got a killer video of him live in Poland at the Warsaw Jazz fest. Man he rips on it! He's playing a goldtop Les Paul thru a Soldano head and two Marshall slant 4x12's.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
            Seems like I read somewhere that he was actually 14 or 15 when he got that gig!
            I've got a killer video of him live in Poland at the Warsaw Jazz fest. Man he rips on it! He's playing a goldtop Les Paul thru a Soldano head and two Marshall slant 4x12's.
            Among Lane fans, that Summer Days festival ain't considered his best moment...but it sure is different! He does rip, but at about 3/5ths the normal Lane awesomeness.

I advise everyone to buy the album "Temporal Analogues of Paradise" it is worth the full price just for about 5 minutes of super super badass soloing on the 2nd track.

Comment

We argue a lot about shredders around here...but

> Back in the day,he played in a cover band called The Willys. They played the local college bar one time and blew the roof off the place. Tommy D.
              "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

One great story is when Lynch and Kirk Hammet were in the south, doing
                some tour in 92' and late one night, heard this amazing shredding...and
                both of them met up in the elevator...and Kirk said to George..."i thought
                that was you?"...and George said..."Shit, i cant play that great"! They
                both went down to check out the local band playing, and it was their first
                time seeing Shawn Lane in person! Lynch could not contain himself in
                the article i read, on how he had witnessed the greatest guitar work he
                had ever seen.

Comment

Then there was the time Ted Nugent called him up on stage hoping to pwn his 16 year old ass, but Lane instead pwned Nugent...

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                    Then there was the time Ted Nugent called him up on stage hoping to pwn his 16 year old ass, but Lane instead pwned Nugent...
                    I heard about the Nugent thing! I heard Lane ripped him a new one! LOL!!

Comment

Gah! How has no one posted Gray Pianos flying yet! It's so amazing!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Watch it and be awed!
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Working...
                      X