Smashing Guitars - Why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smashing Guitars - Why ?

I recently watched the G3 - Live in Denver DVD and watching Malmsteen smashing his guitar made me think: Why ?

Because Ritchie Blackmore did it ? Or Hendrix ?

I always considered my guitar(s) being the tool to express myself, deliver emotions. Smashing/destroying a guitar wouldn't be a part of that !

And the fact, that (of course) he (Malmsteen) smashes a cheapo, doesn't make it more plausible to me !

Any opinions ?
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

I thought it was a Pete Townshend thing

Comment

breaking shit is an expression of emotion too... and it's cool in a rock concert

guitar is just a piece of wood, metal and plastic... it's not like you are beating a baby seal
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

A) Because he can afford it
        B) Because it's like, a high, so to speak
        C) It's fucking cool to see IRL

Stage presence = Everything.
        Originally posted by horns666
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

i played in school band, and we were due to play a gig at school. so we purchased an axe just for me to smash up.
          no sig.....

Comment

Because Yngwie's a complete and utter buffoon.

Actually preparing and thinking out smashing your guitar before a gig is completely stupid. It's the kind of thing I only think is cool if it's completely on the spur of the moment and you can see them thinking "Fuck yeah, that was cool" or "Oh shit, what have I done?".

When it gets gimmicky, it's time to stop. From wikipedia:

Kurt Cobain would frequently smash guitars at the end of Nirvana shows, but they were often Mexican Stratocasters that were brought on stage simply for the purpose of destruction.[citation needed] Cobain and his band mainly shocked people with instrument destruction in their early career, as they came from poor town Aberdeen, Washington and could barely afford to replace them.
            Paul Stanley, the rhythm guitarist from KISS, would frequently smash his signature Ibanez Iceman guitars, at the end throwing the halves into the crowd. These were specially prepared guitars, modified so as to be easy to smash, and to destruct in a consistent and controlled manner.[
            Why so serious?

Comment

Lots of bands/artists have ended their sets by smashing their gear onstage. The Who, Deap purple, Vinnie Vincent. Hendrix would set his on fire, Ace Frehley Blew his up, Ted Nugent shot an arrow through his guitar with the volume still cranked. The list goes on and on and on.

I suppose this turns the kiddies on. I never really got into it much because, even though it's a cheapo, it was at least still good enough to play whatever song the ended the set with and I just thought is was wasteful. I remember being a young, broke, wannabe guitarist (kinda like now) wishing I could afford a decent guitar let alone one I could just smash for effect sake.
              Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Because Yngwie's a complete and utter buffoon...
                I had to look up the word "buffoon", although I could have guessed it...
                Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                ... I remember being a young, broke, wannabe guitarist (kinda like now) wishing I could afford a decent guitar let alone one I could just smash for effect sake.
                +1 !
                uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Always bothered me. I get so attached to my guitars. I know they're cheapos they're doing it with often enough, brought in for the effect, but to me it's like kicking your dog. A betrayal almost? Yes, plastic, wood & metal. But they do gain something totemic once you play em a few times don't they?

Vass

Comment

The only time I found it "believable" was when I saw Pete Townsend or Hendrix do it in the early years.

The Who - although I didn't get into them much - showed that youthful punkishness and disaffected youth syndrome that the punk folks would later have. They were legit in their attitude.

Hendrix was genuinely off the wall, so his was "artistic" and believable.

KISS was part of a bigger than life show, so it didn't bother me. Part of the energy.

Everyone else it seems frivolous and contrived/pointless.
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

It was stupid then, it's stupid now.
                      "POOP"

Comment

Well, I'll never forget the first time I saw this!!! I recorded this on our first 70's VCR and watched this about 200 fuggin' times when I was 13. I still love it!!!http://youtube.com/watch?v=hfPgj4bviKY

Frank Zappa had this guitar ..now Dweezil has it!!!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The story I read was that Hendrix was trying to top Pete Townshend, so he set his Strat on fire. It was also reported that Hendrix cried over the loss of the guitar after he left the stage.

I agree. It was stupid then, and it's still stupid. It's one of those things that can never look or be cool, no matter who does it or how.

Yes, breaking stuff is a form of emotional expression, but we as humans should try to have a little more self-control than the Samsonite gorillas.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            The story I read was that Hendrix was trying to top Pete Townshend, so he set his Strat on fire. It was also reported that Hendrix cried over the loss of the guitar after he left the stage.

I agree. It was stupid then, and it's still stupid. It's one of those things that can never look or be cool, no matter who does it or how.

Yes, breaking stuff is a form of emotional expression, but we as humans should try to have a little more self-control than the Samsonite gorillas.

Yes..Jimi wanted to top Pete. Somehow things got fucked up and Jimi had to follow the Who. Jimi told his manger Chas not to worry about it tho..he knew what he was doing. I assumed by that paint job..it wasn't just a stage prop to be sacrificed. Oh well, its famous..worth alot of money and..Dweezil has it! Why?..because it's fuggin' cool as hell..that's why!

I have to admit it never had the same impact after the days of Jimi and Pete. I thought it was really dumb when Kurt Cobaine did it. Yeah, it was cool back in the days of Jimi and the Who..its cliche and Spinal Tap actually. Well, think about Yngwie..he is very Spinal Tap in every way..that's his lifestyle..that's his problem.
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've never been stingy with my guitars and several local artists have used them to play "live" and for recording purposes. I have a dear friend that played a gig about a month ago in which he got "totally baked." He got pissed in the middle of a song and proceeded to trash his Strat against a brick wall. As the other musicians stopped playing, I casually walked to the side of the stage and I quietly cased my Les Paul and my Gibson Doubleneck. My buddy watched without saying a word as I carried my stuff out to the car.

He called me a couple of days later to apologize for his behavior, but he has yet made any attempt at borrowing any of my gear. Good thing.
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X