Sebastian, Dokken and Poison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebastian, Dokken and Poison

I saw them tonight at The Mohegan Sun in CT.

A detailed review to follow but to start...

Dokken had John Levin on guitar. He sounds pretty much exactly like Lynch. Pretty much nailed everything. He was playing out of a combination of Marshall and Splawn heads and all Splawn cabs.
    His sound was very Lynch like but a little muddy except for the solo's which were very clear. Good sound. Solid.

CC Deville played out of all Crate gear. It looked like he had 2 Crate Blue Voodoo heads stage left and all Crate cabinets.
    His sound was absolutely fantastic. Clear and crisp. Of course.. we all know that he isn't the greatest soloist but he did play all the original solo's perfectly. His guitar solo was pretty crappy but I didn't expect much. What I was surprised with was how incredibly good his guitar tone was. Kodo's to Crate. Whatever he was using sounds REALLY good. BTW.. he absolutely was using the Crate heads that were on stage because he fiddled with them a few times and I could hear the change.

Regarding vocals...

Sebastian Bach sounds amazing. He is as good as he has ever been.

Don Dokken couldn't hit a single high note. Not even close. Many times he sang the lower backup parts. I don't think many people noticed. He seems like a pretty humble guy nowadays but his pipes are pretty much gone.

Brett Michaels sounded just as good as he did in the 80's. Actually... Poison sounds just as good as they ever did. They are a great live band.

Rock on - I've always hoped Sebastian would act normal long enough to sing on something else as good as Skid Row's debut. The guy is incredible, too bad he's such a maniac!

Comment

Any idea who was drumming for Dokken? Don just fired Jeff Martin a few days ago, who was filling in for Mick Brown (he's on tour with Ted Nugent). Curious who he got on such short notice.
      Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
      www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I'll be going tomorrow night at Jones Beach. I have floor seats. It should be a good show. I've seen them (Poison) for the past few years there and they always put on a good show.
        Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

I saw Seb when he came through on the "GNR" support slot. He was amazing.

Comment

We were the 6th row center stage. Picks were flying past us.

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
              Any idea who was drumming for Dokken? Don just fired Jeff Martin a few days ago, who was filling in for Mick Brown (he's on tour with Ted Nugent). Curious who he got on such short notice.
              Interesting - JM is one of the classic sit-in guys. Wonder what happened? He was probably out-singing Don.

Comment

Here is the encore from Atlanta on 7/27/2008.

Poison performance of "Talk Dirty To Me" in it's entirety at the Hi Fi Buys Ampthitheater (Lakewood Amphitheater) in Atlanta, GA on July 27, 2008. My 3rd yea...
                MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

SebastiAn with Dokken and Poison?

What an ecclectic tour!
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Great review...thanks! Heading out to see this bill on Sunday with the fiance. Last time I saw Sebastian he was opening for Axl.

Comment

The bass player for Dokken was Barry Sparks.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        The bass player for Dokken was Barry Sparks.
                        Barry Sparks rules! He's been in Dokken ever since Jeff left in 2000 or 2001. He was on Yngwie's The Seventh Sign and Magnum Opus albums and I saw him on those tours in '94 and '95. He's also toured with MSG, Ted Nugent, Uli Jon Roth, UFO and some others.

I was always a huge fan of Dokken more than any of the other '80s bands I grew up with. Too bad Don's voice isn't quite the same now.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Saw the Jones Beach show tonight from the floor. Had a great time with my teenage son, who, by the way, is a major 80's metal head! Bach was very good, enjoyed the set. He played about 5 Skidrow songs. They sounded good. His band could have been a little "tighter" but they didn't disappoint on the old songs!

Dokken was good too. One thing I also noticed, and it's been mentioned here already, Don Dokken can't hit all those high notes any more. The band members seemed to sing the higher notes while Don sung an octave lower. Still sounded good though. I have to say that the guitarist, Jon Levin sounded amazing! He seemed to NAIL the "Dokken" sound and did justice to Lynch's guitar parts.

Poison.....what can I say. I have to admit, I love them live! They get the place going, that's for sure. Brett's voice is still there and CC's playing was great. This is the 4th year in a row I've seen them at Jones Beach and I just keep coming back for more! I had a lot of fun, and at the end my son just described the whole show as "amazing!!" That's what mattered to me. We both had an awesome time. Quality time with my son made the price of the floor seats worth it. (not they were too expensive, because they weren't)
                          Guitars:
                          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                          1988 Model 2,
                          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                          RR3
                          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                          2005 SG Special

Comment

I just got back from the L.A. show i have seen them 5 times. I have taken my teenager 3 of the times. I think they are one of the best 80,s bands on tour .
                            CC is playing a egg shell color charvel .

Comment

We're seeing them on Sunday night and I can't wait!
                              Popular is not the same as good
                              Rare is not the same as valuable
                              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                              X