Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lion ("Dangerous Attraction" and "Trouble In Angel City" albums)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lion ("Dangerous Attraction" and "Trouble In Angel City" albums)

Amazing band. Shame they only made two full-length albums... I'm trying to locate some Bad Moon Rising material that features both Doug Aldrich and Kal Swan but it's a little difficult as their stuff seems to be rather obscure as well as naming themselves after a CCR song... same goes for the bandname "Lion" making it hard to find information on these guys beyond Wikipedia and a couple Google links.

Over the past couple weeks, I've seen more Lion mp3s uploaded to Youtube as videos... but I think Lion only had one official video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5fbV-_PYQ

The production on "Dangerous Attraction" sounds worlds better than "...Angel City" to me. It's virtually a perfect album... timeless guitar tone that works well beyond the 1980s sound, some of the clearest powerful drums ever, and Kal Swan's vocals are uniquely suited for the band's style. Not to mention killer riffs and every song is memorable.

LOVE this band!!!

That video is why I will ALWAYS want a white Soloist. I've got their stuff too, as well as the BMR stuff. I like the Lion stuff better.

Comment

I've been saying it since 1987, Doug Aldrich is fucking incredible. My favorite player hands down, although i'm not as thrilled with his stuff in Whitesnake.

The Burning Rain cd's are brilliant. Keith St. John sang on those and he is awesome.

Here's a link to Doug's site and discography.

Just go to ebay and type in "Aldrich Bad Moon Rising" (make sure to check the "search title and description" box) and you'll find all the cd's.

Comment

Isn't this the same Lion that did the Transformer's theme from the '86 movie? I loved that song
        Last edited by CharvelRocker; 08-04-2008, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Really love this one too! Gotta find this BadMoonRising album!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
            I've been saying it since 1987, Doug Aldrich is fucking incredible. My favorite player hands down, although i'm not as thrilled with his stuff in Whitesnake.

The Burning Rain cd's are brilliant. Keith St. John sang on those and he is awesome.

Here's a link to Doug's site and discography.

Just go to ebay and type in "Aldrich Bad Moon Rising" (make sure to check the "search title and description" box) and you'll find all the cd's.
            Oh!! Yeah - I forgot about Burning Rain... More good stuff. His solo records kick MUCH ASS as well. His guitar work on the Hurricane cd just smoked Rob Sarzo's playing. Hurricane was a great bad - Kelly's singing always really impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
              Isn't this the same Lion that did the Transformer's theme from the '86 movie? I loved that song
              Yes, indeed.

NOTP - just check some of the online specialty CD shops. I've picked up all of the BMR and Burning Rain discs online. The Lion stuff, particularly "Trouble in Angel City", was a little harder to find but do-able. That said, you can download the "Transformers" theme from iTunes. Doug's solo stuff is also tricky to find though "Alter Ego" is somewhat available at the smaller specialty places.

Doug's also played on several of those all-star tribute discs, such as the ones to Ozzy, VH, and Queen.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

If you're a Kal Swan fan, check out his previous band Tytan - only one album out there, but it's worth checking out, has a "post-NWOBHM" sound to it, if that can be called a genre...
                Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                  Really love this one too! Gotta find this BadMoonRising album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZi3...eature=related
                  I don't like that one for some reason. I remember it from when it was posted on the JCF long ago. Who's the singer?

I will definitely be trying to hunt down Tytan although it's not showing up on my usual downloading spots where I got the two Lion albums... hehe...

Yes, the Transformers theme kicks serious ass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xmso3rnZVc

Comment

Bad Moon Rising is essentially Lion.

Kal Swan sings on all the BMR stuff.

Comment

Wow, that's quite the evolution in sound and look... I didn't even recognize Kal Swan in that video. I honestly thought it was a different singer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ralph E.;1132557]I've been saying it since 1987, Doug Aldrich is fucking incredible. My favorite player hands down, although i'm not as thrilled with his stuff in Whitesnake. [QUOTE]

Listen to Ralph!

Doug Aldrich is a KILLER player. One of the last great guitarists to come out of the 80s generation!

"Fatal Attraction" is a true unsung classic- songs, playing, vocals, production- it's all there.

The Bad Moon Rising stuff is great as well, and is esentially a more modern, bluesier, hard-rock version of Lion, with Kal Swan on vocals. Their discography is available in one 3-CD digi. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

I really liked him with Dio as well- the best fit since Vivian. Sadly, along with Ralph, I'm not as excited about his work with Whitesnake, but it's still worth a listen.
                        Last edited by HiOctane; 08-07-2008, 08:35 PM.
                        GM,
                        www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          I will definitely be trying to hunt down Tytan although it's not showing up on my usual downloading spots where I got the two Lion albums... hehe...
                          They had an EP "Blind Men and Fools" (1982), as well as an album "Rough Justice" (1985). There's a re-issue of Rough Justice out there with a bonus DVD of some concert footage out there. Well worth it, the only reason I bought it way back in the day was the band was formed by the old Angel Witch drummer and bassist, whose band I was (and still am!) crazy about...

Here's a link to the album if you want a look-see: http://cgi.ebay.com/TYTAN-ROUGH-JUST...3286.m63.l1177
                          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

i've got dangerous attraction on vinyl. Gets a regular spin. His tone and playing on that album and also sahara by house of lords is dougs best work i think. I never really cared for angel city, but its a shame the band never took off coz of the record deal problems that essentially prevented them from touring america.

Comment

Anyone else think "Powerlove" sounds like Def Leppard's "Photograph"? And for some reason, "Armed And Dangerous" reminds me of RATT's "The Morning After".

Comment

Working...
                              X