Sweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet

What does anyone know about these guys? Seems like they were playing distorted guitar in the 60's. One review stated that they didn't get the credit they deserved, they were "Queen" before queen was queen. Looks like they went through one hell of a lineup change to where that every original member of the band was replaced at one time.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The oldest CD I have is "inagadadavida" and I have listened to steppenwolf but I wonder how far back guitar distortion goes.

I think I heard / read that Iron Maiden were influenced by them. Maybe it should have been Def Leppard?

Comment

Haha, that band's on Rock Band. It's probably got the greatest vocals for that game but you look like the biggest moron ever.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Dave Davies of The Kinks is usually credited with being the first to use distortion on songs like You Really Got Me and All Day & All of the Night. '63 or '64. Like almost every other innovation in music, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody less famous came up with it first. I was listening to a radio show a few years ago featuring obscure Seattle bands from the early '60s, and there was some pretty heavy stuff that was at least 5 years ahead of its time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
          Haha, that band's on Rock Band. It's probably got the greatest vocals for that game but you look like the biggest moron ever.
          Aah that's nice Bennie, you're an angry little tyke arent you

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            Dave Davies of The Kinks is usually credited with being the first to use distortion on songs like You Really Got Me and All Day & All of the Night. '63 or '64. Like almost every other innovation in music, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody less famous came up with it first. I was listening to a radio show a few years ago featuring obscure Seattle bands from the early '60s, and there was some pretty heavy stuff that was at least 5 years ahead of its time.
            From 1958. A pioneer rock instrumental in my mind. RIP. Also in "BLOW"

Link Wray in 1958.
            Why so serious?

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
              Aah that's nice Bennie, you're an angry little tyke arent you
              I'm a "little tyke"? and no, don't worry, I've heard that song many times before Rockband was even out. It was on Wayne's World and I've watched that movie about 50 times.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Thanks Tim for posting that, I have never even heard of link wray The 50's was way the hell heavy on the 1,4,5 chord progression

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  My best guess is Link Wray(and his raymen) overdriven guitar on 'rumble' 1958

Whoops - Tim , I just noticed your post.Anyone know of earlier distortion ?
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I was gonna say Link Wray, but then I remember hearing some stuff by Charlie Christian that was produced in the mid 1940's.
                    "POOP"

Comment

another one I haven't heard of http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mkyIqYYBX-4

Comment

Sweet is in my opinion the best glam rock band ever.... huge fan
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Sweet rocks. I'm a huge fan. Their best album is probably "Give us a Wink". Saw them in the early 90s, with only the original guitarist (Andy Scott) and drummer (Mick Tucker) in the band. Great vocals. They were a bit on the effeminate side, but back in the 70s, that was kinda cool.

Check out their song "Lies in Your Eyes". It's one of my favorites.

- E.
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

The Sweet was my favourite band when I was a kid in the early '70s. They wore makeup but weren't as "pantomime" as Slade or Gary Glitter (He was cool once, regardless how things have turned out...). Some of their stuff was pretty rockin' and has been covered by such luminaries as Def Leppard and The Scorpions.
                            Andy Scott ended up marrying my buddy's sister, so I got to have a beer with him.

Comment

I just watched "Lies in Your Eyes" http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7bCb3GUHRd8 on youtube and it is still up to date even today. For a moment I thought of King Diamond singing that song.

I'm thinking I may be a Moron now for not knowing more about this band. There is a plethora of cover songs to be explored here! :idea:

Comment

Working...
                              X