No announcement yet.

Sweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow... I watched quite a few of their vids and you can hear a huge Sweet influence in early (RR era) Quiet Riot too. I swear I heard a cover of Quiet Riot doing Fox on the Run.

Comment

A lot of bands covered their music and may of had better success with the songs than sweet did.
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Sweet is defiantly worth checking out.
        My favorite and probably their biggest selling album in the U.S. was “Desolation Boulevard,” which contained the songs "Fox on the Run" and "Ballroom Blitz—both of which still get airplay.

Lot’s of bands recorded covers of Sweet material so you may hear songs that sound familiar. Two examples: Pat Benatar’s 1979 “In the heat of the Night” album contained the Sweet tune “No You Don’t.” (Pretty good cover) And Krokus, on their 1984 album “The Blitz,” did a cover of Sweet’s “Ballroom Blitz.” No offense to Krokus but I thought the original was better.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Biff Montana View Post
          Sweet is defiantly worth checking out.
          My favorite and probably their biggest selling album in the U.S. was “Desolation Boulevard,” which contained the songs "Fox on the Run" and "Ballroom Blitz—both of which still get airplay.
          WTF? The quote is wrong. Was supposed to be this:

"My favorite and probably their biggest selling album in the U.S. was “Desolation Boulevard,” which contained the songs "Fox on the Run" and "Ballroom Blitz—both of which still get airplay."

The US release of Desolation Boulevard was basically a mixture of two Sweet albums released in the UK: Desolation Boulevard, and Sweet Fanny Adams. Sweet Fanny Adams was a better album than the British Desolation Boulevard. The American mix of "Fox on the Run" was waaaaaaay different than the original British release; it definitely sounded like they went back and did some overdubs; it makes the British release sound like a demo.

The early Quiet Riot with Randy Rhoads was most definitely influenced by Sweet, as it said so in the "Quiet Riot - The Randy Rhoads Years" CD liner notes.

Great band. I listened to some on the way to work today, inspired by this thread.

- E.
          Last edited by AlexL; 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Oops, it should have been "definitely" and not "defiantly."
            My apologies to all, I was at work and distracted.

But yea, Sweet is definitely worth checking out.

Peace

Comment

I always thought Desolation Boulevard was a killer if unmentioned album...

Comment

Sweet are awesome. I got into them in the 70's and always loved that vocal harmony approach with the cool guitar.

Level Headed is a great album too, with Love is Like Oxygen, CA Nights, and Mother Earth.

Nikki Sixx was hugely influenced by Sweet in his youth.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                  I was gonna say Link Wray, but then I remember hearing some stuff by Charlie Christian that was produced in the mid 1940's.
                  Another player to experiment with distortion in the 1940s was Junior Barnard, who played with Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys: http://barndance.blogspot.com/2005/1...r-barnard.html

Their song "I'm Feeling Bad" has a really amazing distorted guitar solo.

Comment

Absofreakinlutely !!!! Sweet was one of the first bands I latched onto in my young kid days. Desolation Boulevard is one the THE classic heavy rock albums. I wore that record out as a kid. In fact, funny story, my mother confiscated that record because there was a line in one of the songs that said "if she don't spread I'm going to bust her head". Now how metal is that ?

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
                      Absofreakinlutely !!!! Sweet was one of the first bands I latched onto in my young kid days. Desolation Boulevard is one the THE classic heavy rock albums. I wore that record out as a kid. In fact, funny story, my mother confiscated that record because there was a line in one of the songs that said "if she don't spread I'm going to bust her head". Now how metal is that ?
                      reminds me of when I was 16 and my Mom took away all my Judas Priest tapes.

my parents were religious morons at that stage. they've mellowed a bit and I guess they figured out that my metal addiction has not fucked me up too much since I've been very successful in school and later in business.

but fuck if I didn't want to run away at that point.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                        reminds me of when I was 16 and my Mom took away all my Judas Priest tapes.

my parents were religious morons at that stage. they've mellowed a bit and I guess they figured out that my metal addiction has not fucked me up too much since I've been very successful in school and later in business.

but fuck if I didn't want to run away at that point.
                        Yep, same deal here. Mom was/is a total religious hipocrite. She took all my Kiss albums too which really sucked because I had every single one. She preached to me the BS that KISS stood for Kings(Knights) In Satan's Service.

True story. After Peter Criss left Kiss, the word around our church was that Kiss was some evil Satan worshiping cult and that Peter left because of it. This was part of what lead to the confiscation of my KISS albums. So anyway, word comes down that Peter Criss is going to be as some local church on a Sunday night telling his story. My church loaded up every single kid in the youth group and hauled us down to this church to hear Peter Criss. The whole time I was telling the youth minister and everyone involved they were crazy and no way was Peter Criss going to be there.

We arrive, get seated and sure enough, no Peter Criss. Instead we have some guy who was a studio musician and who had worked for a lot of big name rock bands, including Kiss. This guy was actually pretty cool and entertaining, told us about how messed up some of the bands were. There was no mention of Kiss in his speach. At the end he took questions. Guess who was the first to stand up and ask something ? Yep, me! I asked about Kiss and the BS crap about Knights In Satan's Service. This guy totally 100% vindicated me. He said it was BS, no such thing. He went on to say that Kiss were total professionals, expected a lot out of their band members and didn't do drugs. I don't think to this day I've ever felt so vindicated in front of 100 people who I all hated for being hipocrites. God that was great.

Comment

Working...
                        X