Clear All

I meant from Jackson Shred...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
      I meant from Jackson Shred...
      Oh...sorry broseppi Ralph..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sorry everyone, I've been gone, but I guess I'll whip one up right now.

Alright, I'm pretty sure everyone here knows I'm pretty butt crazy for shredding and a lot of shredders *cough jason becker*.

I went into the Yngwie show with really really high expectations, I was convinced I was going to be blown away and that I would feel miserable about my guitar playing.

Yngwie was very good that night, but I must say, I got really fucking bored really fast! He's a monster player, and definitely one of my favorites, but I felt like I had seen his shit a million times before, and that after 20 minutes, he was just repeating the same thing over and over. He did a few songs off the new album which were alright, and a never heard song before (He busted out a pink guitar for it).

He has really good stage presence, but a lot of the times he'd just stop playing and throw his guitar around a million times and you wouldn't even hear a lot of the song. He'd start the beginning of a riff off then just whip that bastard around like it was a donut till the solo came in.

He noodled a fucking lot, which at first I ate up, then I got bored with. His set list was pretty cool, and I personally think that Ripper did really really well. I think a lot of people just get pissy at the fact that he "ruined priest", and ignore his singing abilities. I thought Ripper did a good job.

I was kinda bummed that he noodled away on a lot of the songs I wanted to hear, such as Trilogy Suite Op. 5. I understand that's a noodling song, but he played the main riff once, hell, not even once, he did it half way then noodled around till the song was over.

I knew Far Beyond The Sun was going to be a wank fest, which I thought was cool, but once again, even some of the phrases that he always does (at least from what I've seen on youtube) he noodled away at.

So, as you can clearly see I was a little bummed that he just wanked on pretty much all of his songs and didn't really stay true to ANY solo's or anything.

I would advise people to see him because he was really on fire that night with his guitar playing (although his first acoustic solo did suck imo, but his second one was great). He put's on a great show and he is really sick with that strat, great guitarist for sure.

I'm not trying to sound like I wasn't impressed with his playing, because I was. I just didn't feel like I was so pumped up and full of energy from seeing his guitar playing, it just got waaaaaaaay too repetitive.

Yngwie is amazing though.
        Originally posted by horns666
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

That's how I feel when I see some performances of him. I think when I saw him though, I was feeling more like "omg there's yngwie!!!" because it was my first time seeing him, I wasn't fussed too much about what he was playing, I just wanted to watch and take pics and whatnot.

Although, I downloaded his new album yesterday and everything you described, I felt within the FIRST SONG! I was hoping to be blown away by the composition or some really creative thing for the first song on his first album in 3 years, but no, just boring widdle licks with some panned delay stuff and a typically boring Yngwie riff.

Track 3 has a cool riff and I think I only got to about track 5, I wasn't even bothered about hearing it all after that but I wanna finish it, at least.

But I've also had that feeling when watching him on YouTube. If he's doing a live clinic or demonstration thing at a Fender booth or whatever, he'll shred constantly over his songs instead of playing the written melodies, which is really annoying.

I'm interested in seeing this pink strat!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
            Sorry everyone, I've been gone, but I guess I'll whip one up right now.

Alright, I'm pretty sure everyone here knows I'm pretty butt crazy for shredding and a lot of shredders *cough jason becker*.

I went into the Yngwie show with really really high expectations, I was convinced I was going to be blown away and that I would feel miserable about my guitar playing.

Yngwie was very good that night, but I must say, I got really fucking bored really fast! He's a monster player, and definitely one of my favorites, but I felt like I had seen his shit a million times before, and that after 20 minutes, he was just repeating the same thing over and over. He did a few songs off the new album which were alright, and a never heard song before (He busted out a pink guitar for it).

He has really good stage presence, but a lot of the times he'd just stop playing and throw his guitar around a million times and you wouldn't even hear a lot of the song. He'd start the beginning of a riff off then just whip that bastard around like it was a donut till the solo came in.

He noodled a fucking lot, which at first I ate up, then I got bored with. His set list was pretty cool, and I personally think that Ripper did really really well. I think a lot of people just get pissy at the fact that he "ruined priest", and ignore his singing abilities. I thought Ripper did a good job.

I was kinda bummed that he noodled away on a lot of the songs I wanted to hear, such as Trilogy Suite Op. 5. I understand that's a noodling song, but he played the main riff once, hell, not even once, he did it half way then noodled around till the song was over.

I knew Far Beyond The Sun was going to be a wank fest, which I thought was cool, but once again, even some of the phrases that he always does (at least from what I've seen on youtube) he noodled away at.

So, as you can clearly see I was a little bummed that he just wanked on pretty much all of his songs and didn't really stay true to ANY solo's or anything.

I would advise people to see him because he was really on fire that night with his guitar playing (although his first acoustic solo did suck imo, but his second one was great). He put's on a great show and he is really sick with that strat, great guitarist for sure.

I'm not trying to sound like I wasn't impressed with his playing, because I was. I just didn't feel like I was so pumped up and full of energy from seeing his guitar playing, it just got waaaaaaaay too repetitive.

Yngwie is amazing though.
            That's exactly how I feel. I saw him three years ago and got bored fast because as you say, he just noodled the whole time. I love Yngwie's playing, but I wish he would actually play the songs and stop showing off. Not only that, the guy has a ton of weapons in his arsenal, but only shows the fast harmonic minor runs/sweeping picking stuff he's most famous for. I don't think I made it halfway through the show... I left early. The horrible FOH sound didn't help.

I think he was a better player when he was younger. Look on youtube for the Alcatrazz/first solo tour vids. He was on fire back then BUT played with more structure and a better feel IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
              That's exactly how I feel. I saw him three years ago and got bored fast because as you say, he just noodled the whole time. I love Yngwie's playing, but I wish he would actually play the songs and stop showing off. Not only that, the guy has a ton of weapons in his arsenal, but only shows the fast harmonic minor runs/sweeping picking stuff he's most famous for. I don't think I made it halfway through the show... I left early. The horrible FOH sound didn't help.

I think he was a better player when he was younger. Look on youtube for the Alcatrazz/first solo tour vids. He was on fire back then BUT played with more structure and a better feel IMO.
              100% agreed. That vid of him playing Evil Eye with Alcatrazz in about '84 is one of my fave Yngwie vids ever.

Comment

Yngwie's older video's definitely show him as more universal and interesting.

For a long time I liked yngwie's concept of don't necessarily listen to other players, because you'll just be rehashing some licks over and over. Now it seems like Yngwie has only limited himself to what he listens to though, and cannot/won't venture out of what he knows.
                Originally posted by horns666
                The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Well I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Yngwie is playing here in Ft. Lauderdale, 2morow nite. Yngwie is kind of a ferrari fan, and my friend happens to work there. They(ripper as well) have become friends and have granted him and friend(me) all access, so there may be some fat old banged-up groupie overflow headed this way. WOOHOO!!!
                  Do not meddle in things you do not understand!!!

Comment

Interesting thing is that my friend, who is an Yngwie devotee and knowshow to play the stuff quite well, said that he was surprised taht YJM was playing some different patterns, scales and lead stuff. I ummm, couldn't quite tell, haha, but he said there was definitely some new things going on.

I think his style is of the ilk that whatever he plays will sound like him... Regardless of Mode, scale and pattern. Just all sounds the same sorta... But, Mark heard it pretty blatently since he's a devotee to the style.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                      Maybe. But it's NOT stacks in those pics - it's just the heads. There's like fifteen fuckin' Marshall heads there. WTF would he need all them for?

he had 25 in nyc. I realized that I am just not a fan anymore. I left early. He spent more time kicking flips into the audience and flipping his guitar around than playing it. It just wasn't for me. I've seen him a bunch of times, this was just my last.

Comment

Working...
                      X