Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JacksonVHT View Post
    Wat?

Mustaine doesn't open with a solo on holy wars or five magicks.

Marty plays the only lead in poison was the cure.
    Think all leads, not just main solos.

The holy wars lead refers to the part played at 0:45 in G iirc, not the main solos in "the punishment due".

"five magics" opens with a lead over the bass riff (0:36) played by Dave. I think the verse breaks are all Marty but I could be full of shit

edit: I checked a live vid and Marty plays all of the leads in the verse.

In "poison was the cure" check 2:06. As Spiny said, I think that's the lick referred to.
    Last edited by levantin; 11-19-2008, 04:51 PM.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      3:28 in Holy Wars is definitely Dave.

Five Magics, I think they're referring to the breaks in the first verse.

Maybe the Poison lead they're referring to is the part from 2:06 until the actual solo?
      Mustaine only plays the last solo in Holy Wars.

As far as poison was the cure goes, that's just the main riff in another octave. It's not a lead, well to most guitar players it's as hard as one but as far as a Megadeth song goes, it's just Mustaine's brilliant riffing.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post

"five magics" opens with a lead over the bass riff (0:36) played by Dave. I think the verse breaks are all Marty but I could be full of shit
        It's just one of Dave's rhythms. I wouldn't call it a lead either.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
          As Spiny said, I think that's the lick referred to.
          Who's Spiny?

And just going by my ears, that first solo in Holy Wars totally sounds like Dave's style. I guess not!
          Scott

Comment

Who's Spiny?
            That would be you buddy
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadeth79 View Post
              Nothing compares to Dave-Marty duo imho.You have the melody-technique of Marty, the great riffs and agressive solos of Mustaine. Hope the new Dave-Chris duo will at least be ok. Glen Drover might be a talented dude but surely he did not fit to Megadeth.
              Huge Megadeth fan here, too. And for my money, the Mustaine/Friedman/Ellefson/Menza line-up was the best Megadeth.

However, for the best guitar-duo, I am going to have to politely disagree with you and say I like Sweet/Fox better. But then again, that is just my biased opinion

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                Huge Megadeth fan here, too. And for my money, the Mustaine/Friedman/Ellefson/Menza line-up was the best Megadeth.
                Menza didn't have anything on Gar Samuelson.

Switch those two drummers and I'll agree.

Comment

Menza didn't have anything on Gar Samuelson.

Switch those two drummers and I'll agree.
                  Gar was cool, but all of the material prior to Menza joining the band always sounded better when Menza was playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                    Gar was cool, but all of the material prior to Menza joining the band always sounded better when Menza was playing it.
                    Gar was only around for so long and by the time most people were into Megadeth we were already a few years into Menza. I think we've just gotten accustomed to Menza's sound, but without a doubt Menza couldn't write drum beats like Gar did.

Comment

I hear ya on Gar. But being a drummer, I still vote for the Menza/Friedman era...Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings are my favs. The older stuff just isn't as much my style.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                        I hear ya on Gar. But being a drummer, I still vote for the Menza/Friedman era...Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings are my favs. The older stuff just isn't as much my style.

Comment

Gar was only around for so long and by the time most people were into Megadeth we were already a few years into Menza. I think we've just gotten accustomed to Menza's sound, but without a doubt Menza couldn't write drum beats like Gar did.
                          It's easy to get accustomed to what sounds better to the ear. I'm not trying to take away anything from Gars playing or creativity. Menza was just a better fit for Mustaines style of guitar playing across the board. He's a hard hitter and extremely precise which gave all the old material a much tighter feel and sound. That's why I always preferred his playing on all the old stuff.

Comment

Who's Spiny?

And just going by my ears, that first solo in Holy Wars totally sounds like Dave's style. I guess not!
                            Well, the accoustic run in the middle may sound a little like Dave with the chromatic feel it has, but it is Marty.

The first lead on Punishment, in G maj, is Marty all the way, if you break it down, Dave simply does not play like that. Second solo, in G min, its the same thing. Much more flowing and thought out than Dave's stuff.

Then comes the Dave stuff (I have not listened to that song in a while and do not recall what else, if anything, there is, but I can play the first 3 mentioned above and I did some digging at the time I learned them as to what was what).
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                            X