Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic songs by legendary bands performed by the "wrong" line up of that band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic songs by legendary bands performed by the "wrong" line up of that band.

I guess all classic bands have gone through line up changes in their career and several of their songs have become eternaly linked with a particullar line up or a particullar member of that band. And it seems rather unsettling and strange to see another person perform it.

Such was the case with Fleetwood Mac in 1987. After the release of their hugely succesful album "Tango in the night" Guitarist/ Lead vocalist Lindsey Buckingham departed and the Band started the "Tango" tour by drafting in Rick Vito and Billy Burnette (Yes, he's the son of...) With Vito and Burnette in the folds, a lot of pre-Buckingham material re-appeared in the set list including Peter Green's master piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23kiv4f0_s
    "Oh well"
    It's so strange to see Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks performing this song, not to mention Burnette's American accent with which he sings this song. But it's still cool though.

Blaze Bailey in Iron Maiden. I can tolerate hearing Bruce sing Wrathchild and other Dianno tracks, but Bailey's voice did not fit Maiden IMO, even on the stuff written just for him.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I saw Kiss last year and it was actually pretty awesome... but without Ace and Peter it's definitely a wrong line-up
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

With Kiss it's a different story for me. The best songs featured Paul or Gene on vocals IMO, and Beth could be sung by anyone as long as they're close to Peter's vocal style. I definitely don't think Paul or Gene would make it sound right, but if Garth Brooks could pull off Hard Luck Woman...

I wasn't as enamored with Ace as most folks were, so the vocals on Rocket Ride and Shock Me could be done by anyone as far as I'm concerned.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

but Ace is God and the other's are just mortals
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Sakk Mylde butchering Crazy Train is the one that kils me. The guy can't even play the classic main easy riff correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
              Sakk Mylde butchering Crazy Train is the one that kils me. The guy can't even play the classic main easy riff correctly.
              I also have a real problem with the way he played Bark at the Moon.

Comment

as much as i like mathias jabs in the scorpions, i hate the way he plays the uli roth-era stuff. the tone and stuff is just wrong....

i also hate the way blaze bailey sings bruce dickinson's songs, though i HATE the way bruce dickinson sings paul dianno's songs...

actually i was jamming out to iron maiden's version of "doctor, doctor" today, and that has blaze on vocals, and it is killer!!!

oh, and i pretty much hate any solo janick gers takes in iron maiden, adrian's or his own - either way he sucks in maiden. that always confused me though, because janick's playing with ian gillan was great and his playing on bruce's "tattooed millionaire" was FABULOUS.....i wonder why he turned into a spasmodic-weedler once he joined maiden....he can't even bend in tune with maiden, but he could with his other bands....
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Old G'nR vs. new G'nr...which line up do you like best?
                  Horrible - Gary Cherone as lead singer for VH
                  or when Halford left Priest and was replaced by...hmm, I don't even know his name.
                  Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    but Ace is God and the other's are just mortals
                    Hardly. IMO kiss was at its finest in the 80's after peter and ace had left.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarbumb View Post
                      Hardly. IMO kiss was at its finest in the 80's after peter and ace had left.
                      that wasn't Kiss, that was a joke

Comment

I've no problem with this, but many people seem to dislike the way that any subsequent guitarist in Megadeth would play the solos of any of the previous players in the band.
                        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Journey without Steve Perry just ain't right
                          Jackson KV2
                          Jackson KE1T
                          Jackson KE1F
                          Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                            Journey without Steve Perry just ain't right
                            It takes quite a confident man to bring that one up.

Therefore, I'll have to say:

Queen songs with Paul Rodgers just ain't right.

Comment

ZW came to mind first. He's a very good player, but all the repetitive "pings" he throws into the classics grate on me.

I bet some here will disagree with me on this one, but I'll bring up Dio. He's always had top-notch players, but I prefer Viv's playing on the early stuff, even though some of the later guys may have been technically "better". Lots of clips to compare on youtube, especially Viv vs. Goldy. Goldy is excellent and some prefer him, but Viv had the fire that fit the songs best, imo. It's probably just that I'm old and don't like change.

Comment

Working...
                              X