Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I dont play anything like him...but i sure wish i did!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont play anything like him...but i sure wish i did!

Great inside look into why this guy is my favorite guitarist. I understand
    what he is saying..even though i will never be able to be anywhere near
    this smooth! Dammit! :-) Greg Howe lesson on "inside,outside playing..

http://www.greghowe.com/lessonsGreg Howe demonstrates the benefits of using contrast and polarity to help define ideas and phrases while improvising in this ...

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
    Great inside look into why this guy is my favorite guitarist. I understand
    what he is saying..even though i will never be able to be anywhere near
    this smooth! Dammit! :-) Greg Howe lesson on "inside,outside playing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcKlKyYz08
    Yea.. he is so great. I also like the sound of that Vetta

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      Yea.. he is so great. I also like the sound of that Vetta
      **** Dont tell me a Vetta has that tone and smoothness as a preset??
      I gotta have one! I would like to think that VHT has something to do
      with it? :-))

Comment

NOBODY plays/sounds like him..that's why he's Grege Howe.

I've been a fan since his '88 debut and talked with him back in the day. My buddy played bass for him for a while but got tired of the long commute.

Greg Howe sounds like Greg Howe no matter what gear he plays..period! Just like any good player with their own signature tone...their creativity and hands..."style".
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Greg is one of the most amazing guitarists ever but considering that he is from Philadelphia area his playing style makes a lot of sense... that kind of a fusion of different styles, elements and rhythms you can expect from a musician from that place
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Great player and a useful video. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Nice... a great player I never picked up on when he first came out.

On a side note, I love ESP's "strat" headstock - its one of the only (besides G&L's) that I like next to the true strat head.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I'm not so much into the instrumental "shred" stuff anymore, but Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen playing together on Tilt and Project is pretty awe inspiring, and something I listen to occasionally. Richie has some great lessons on Youtube as well.
                EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                  **** Dont tell me a Vetta has that tone and smoothness as a preset??
                  I gotta have one! I would like to think that VHT has something to do
                  with it? :-))

Absolutely does and I bet thats basically a stock preset.
                  The VHT isn't even on. Howe is playing through the Vetta.

Comment

Bobby, you MUST buy that Vetta..it's the only way to come close to playing like Greg Howe!!

:idea:I'm going to buy every piece of gear that my favorite guitar players use, so I can sound exactly like them..

I bought some Lebron James BB shoes for my son..now he will rule the NBA!!

I gotta bust da balls man!!

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Bobby, you MUST buy that Vetta..it's the only way to come close to playing like Greg Howe!!

:idea:I'm going to buy every piece of gear that my favorite guitar players use, so I can sound exactly like them..

I bought some Lebron James BB shoes for my son..now he will rule the NBA!!

I gotta bust da balls man!!

Bill, let me tell you something bro... ever since you got me that autographed pic of Uli Jon Roth I started sounding like him. The trick is to put the pic on the amp when I am playing it. The other thing I have found is that if you use a pick that actually came from the player you are trying to sound like it really makes a huge difference. No wonder dudes are always scrambling for picks at concerts.

Comment

Amazing! Now I need to find and study that "outside playing" video he mentions. Hopefully you can get it on DVD and not VHS?!? Argh, the eighties...

Comment

Greg Howe is great !! One of my favorites for sure !!! Classy guy too !!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Bill, let me tell you something bro... ever since you got me that autographed pic of Uli Jon Roth I started sounding like him. The trick is to put the pic on the amp when I am playing it. The other thing I have found is that if you use a pick that actually came from the player you are trying to sound like it really makes a huge difference. No wonder dudes are always scrambling for picks at concerts.
                            I got one of Reb Beach's picks but unfortunately it doesn't help me tap like he does

Comment

Interesting idea about fast playing not requiring absolutes as far as notes per beat/bar - considering it more of a textural style... "non-rhythmic fast lick".

Thanks for the link, RB!

Comment

Working...
                              X