Review of "megadave" "blood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of "megadave" "blood"

I love Megadeth, but didn't recognize one player other than Dave...So let's just call them "Megadave" (heard it here...somewhere) and get it over with. Great show, great playing...no Jacksons to be seen. The new guitar player was pretty fuckin good!
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Megadeth has always been Dave's band. I interviewed Chris Poland and Dave Ellefson and they both said the same thing. It think it's one of the few bands that can survive without the original members. Well, with Megadeth, are there really original members? There's guys who were on the records for a number of years. But before Poland there were at least 2 other guitarists.

Broderick was pretty good in that concert. I'd like to hear him playing new solos on new Megadeth. Right now he's just shredding note for note (in a good way!) but I want to hear his personality.

Comment

Isn't it pretty common in most bands that 1 guy is the driving force?
      Iced Earth-Jon Shaffer
      Metallica-James Hetfield
      Iron Maiden-Steve Harris
      Black Sabbath-Tony Iommi
      Van Halen-Eddie Van Halen

I think Dave is just more obnoxious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
        Iced Earth-Jon Shaffer
        Metallica-James Hetfield
        Iron Maiden-Steve Harris
        Black Sabbath-Tony Iommi

Amen to that...Megadave, Egodeth, Still fuggin' awesome though. His dean sounded like shit
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Somebody needs to get Chris Broderick on a fuckin' Jackson. Never really payed much attention to him until he joined Megadeth but the dude is a fuckin monster. Been watching some of his shit on youtube and damn! That shit is impressive. Dude can play a lot of different styles of music including classical and jazz... which to me says something towards how well rounded of a player they are. That 8 finger tapping also adds so badass-ness to him. Now he just needs to burn those Ibenhads and get himself a Soloist. Although Dave probably wouldn't let him :ROTF:

Comment

"Now he just needs to burn those Ibenhads and get himself a Soloist. Although Dave probably wouldn't let him "

You know what would be funny?

Jackson contacts Broderick, offers him a contract and supplies him with two (as opposed to the offer of ONE to Dave) free custom shops via their contract.

Keep this contract completely under wraps until the delivery of the guitars to Chris.

Arrange delivery of guitars to Chris' tech while on tour and have the axes waiting for him on stands onstage all tuned and ready to go.

Ensure that the tech understands that there are to be NO other guitars available for Chris to play.

THAT would burn Mustaine. He would see the guitars. Wonder "huh? What the fuck?" Continue with the show because I highly doubt that his ego would alow him to compromise the integrity of his band's performace live because his guitarist purchased a guitar from a company that he dislikes.

Dave gets with Chris after the show to explain to him his own dislikes of the Jackson company and how cheap, underhanded, and petty they are, and would he please get rid of the guitars and use his others.

Chris responds telling him that he cannot go back to the other guitars as he is now under contract with Jackson and that they sealed the deal by giving him TWO free guitars per year.

LOL how much pouting would commence at that point?

I reference "That 70's Show" for the next comment.

BURN!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by bombtek; 03-24-2009, 12:19 PM.
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

:ROTF:

I saw them two weeks ago. Chris nailed all the solos.
              Missed the Jacksons tho.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                Iced Earth-Jon Shaffer
                Metallica-James Hetfield
                Iron Maiden-Steve Harris
                Black Sabbath-Tony Iommi

I respectfully disagree here- Yes, there's a "glue" guy for any band, but if Dickenson left Maiden it would be a different band (and we got to see that- Bailey). If Ozzy left the band, Sabbath is a different band (we saw that- Dio). If Roth leaves VH, different band (saw that- Hagar).

Metallica has only one voice, and that voice is Hetfield, but I do think you'd feel a much larger change if Lars or Kirk left than you'd feel if Mustaine swapped in a new guitarist. Hell, look how much the band changed after Cliff died.

Some groups are truly ensemble. The sum is greater than the parts. One example? I know alot of guys aren't fans of the Hamster. By himself maybe nothing outstanding. In Metallica, he's something much more.

Megadeth has always been somewhat of an exception to the general rule- They've been Dave & the Mega's since the beginning.

Vass
                Last edited by Vass; 03-24-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Mustaine said on the deth.com forums that he hoped Broderick signed with Dean or Jackson, so I don't think that's an issue here.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                    Mustaine said on the deth.com forums that he hoped Broderick signed with Dean or Jackson, so I don't think that's an issue here.
                    Dammit if that's the case my scenario wouldn't ever come to pass.....shit I was actually looking forward to something like that happening.....dammit!
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Ellefson was as much a part of Megadeth's signature tone as Dave's voice, IMO. To boot him is like kicking Jones out of Zeppelin.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post

True? When?

Comment

Broderick was playing Ibanez back when I saw him with Jag Panzer in 2001. I doubt he'll switch any time soon.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Ellefson was as much a part of Megadeth's signature tone as Dave's voice, IMO. To boot him is like kicking Jones out of Zeppelin.
                            Technically he wasn't "booted". He was asked to come back when Mustaine was reforming the band prior to the recording of The System Has Failed. Ellefson declined.

I think the current Megadeth line-up is great with the exception of Shawn Drover. Something about his drumming just feels loose and sluggish. Lacks that tightness Menza brought to the table which I thought really complimented Mustaines guitar playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                              I respectfully disagree here- Yes, there's a "glue" guy for any band, but if Dickenson left Maiden it would be a different band (and we got to see that- Bailey). If Ozzy left the band, Sabbath is a different band (we saw that- Dio). If Roth leaves VH, different band (saw that- Hagar).

Metallica has only one voice, and that voice is Hetfield, but I do think you'd feel a much larger change if Lars or Kirk left than you'd feel if Mustaine swapped in a new guitarist. Hell, look how much the band changed after Cliff died.

Some groups are truly ensemble. The sum is greater than the parts. One example? I know alot of guys aren't fans of the Hamster. By himself maybe nothing outstanding. In Metallica, he's something much more.

Megadeth has always been somewhat of an exception to the general rule- They've been Dave & the Mega's since the beginning.

Vass
                              I'm sure there are true ensemble bands out there. Just listing a few that weren't.
                              Also, I don't dispute that other members of the bands listed are significant to the sound. I was only pointing out that Dave catches a bad rap about Megadeth being "HIS" band, whereas in reality many bands really belong to one guy. When other members of the band leave and the sound changes, sometimes the "owner" wanted it to change. For example, Van Halen was driving toward more keyboards even before Roth left.
                              To be fair, with Metallica I'm sorta under the impression that Lars may be just as big a player as Hetfield, but in some of their recent video footage Hetfield said he did all of the writing until St. Anger. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and credited him as the leader. Either way, keeping in mind I'm an outsider with no firsthand knowledge of the inner workings of Metallica, I don't think Kirk wields the same power as James or Lars. That's not saying he's not as significant in the band's sound. He's just not the one who calls the shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X