Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't think Michael Rutherford has ever sounded more ferocious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think Michael Rutherford has ever sounded more ferocious...

Abacab from the disc with the same name.Lyrics:Look up on the wall, there on the floor, Under the pillow, behind the door. There's a crack in the mirror. Som...

"Abacap" live in 1987.

I don't know what pedal or amp he used in those days but I want them too, what a cool distortion he got going here...

well, he is playing with Daryl Stuermer's set-up, while Daryl is playing with Mike's bass. Mike and Daryl often changed their positions during concerts
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I don't think Michael Rutherford has ever sounded ferocious...
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Endy.."often changed their positions during concerts" me too, from missionary to doggy!

Gary..sounding "ferocious" = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd_P1...eature=related
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDPKKrvYU6w
          "Abacap" live in 1987.

I don't know what pedal or amp he used in those days but I want them too, what a cool distortion he got going here...

I clicked on the youtube link and was about to hit the "X" button, but decided to listen to it all. Man did hearing that make me nostalgic for that time period for some reason. Not that I liked the song, it just made me reminisce (sp?) about times back then. Probably because it was so overfuckinplayed on the radio at the time .

Honestly, it did bring me back to high school for a few minutes. Thanks for posting it.

But I have to agree with the above.......Rutherford has never sounded ferocious.
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I don't think he is ferocious either, he is more about melodies and chords on the guitar... never was a real lead player... out of pitch too much and whatnot

but he is one HELLUVA bass player!
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              I don't think Michael Rutherford has ever sounded ferocious...
              :ROTF:

Now excuse me. My dog has a ferocious bunny rabbit cornered in the backyard!
              "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                :ROTF:

Now excuse me. My dog has a ferocious bunny rabbit cornered in the backyard!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't call it ferocious. It sounds pretty mid 80's Rockman into mixing board to me. Not a bad thing necessarily, I used to love playing through a rockman back then. Couldn't believe the sound coming out of that little box.

But ferocious to me would be more of an "I'm going to rip your head off and shit down your neckhole, then tear off your nutsack, drape it across the neckhole and pee on it and then have a pee & testicle float."

I would call this a "Ferocious" guitar tone...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Endy.."often changed their positions during concerts" me too, from missionary to doggy!

Gary..sounding "ferocious" = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd_P1...eature=related
                    oh yea, that's what I'm talking about!
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Can't go wrong with these (RIP):
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by wetrx95 View Post
                        Can't go wrong with these (RIP):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj2xSwOY0xs
                        Again, that is clearly "ferocious"..

No matter how you feel about 80's pop Genesis. They're the antithesis of ferocious or agressive. Maybe Blazer simply used the wrong adjective trying to convey his intent..:think:

Even if the above posted tone was in a heavier context..It's not even a semi-aggressive, full-bodied Marshall sound. Someone compared it to a Rockman..exactly, but not in a good way!

Older generations still can't tolerate Hendrix, Zep, Purple, Sab, ect, but love classic mainstream pop artist. When senior citizens love the same music you do..it's prolly time to upgrade.

Comment

I guess I don't feel old enough to think this is ferocious.

Comment

Want to have a really ferocious Mike Rutherford?

Listen to THIS...

Genesis playing The Return of the Giant Hogweed in Belgium, 1972

Listen him ripping away on his Rickenbacker Bass

Anyway, what has been said before of Daryl Steurmer and Rutherford using each others backlines and instruments is not true. Because if you take other footage of the 1987 concert at Wembley, Rutherford is also seen playing a white Roland Synth guitar, a Steinberger L-series guitar and a Black Fender Jazz Bass. Steurmer plays the entire thing on either a Steinberger bass and a Steinberger guitar, in some songs (Most notably on "Los Endos") they both play steinberger guitars.

I also have a DVD from Genesis' 1978 tour and even back then Steurmer and Rutherford used different instruments: In Rutherford's case he used Fender Strats and Ibanez Artist guitars and a Shergold Double neck for bass duties. Steurmer played a Suntech Neck through body strat-ish guitar, a Gibson RD artist guitar and a Shergold four string bass.

When I saw Genesis live two years ago, Steurmer and Rutherford's backlines were seen on stage and they differed quite a lot. Rutherford used Fender Deville amps and used three Eric Clapton signature model stratocasters as his main guitars and his bass set up were Eden Stacks, a Yamaha TRB Four string and wierd Double neck twelve string guitar and four string bass. Steurmer used Mesa Boogie combo's and Godin guitars while employing an Eden stack and a Lakland bass.

They were never seen playing each others gear.
                            Last edited by Blazer; 05-23-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I don't think anyone is discounting his abilities, I just think we were all expecting aggression in the clip and we just got a clip of solid musicians all capable of playing in the pocket. But the 80's pop sound could never really be defined as 'ferocious'for me. I guess one of the dictionary definitions for ferocious is "extreme or intense" so if it satisfies thos emotions for you then you could consider it ferocious.

For me ferocious is someone just fucking RIPPING with emotion. The tone itself doesn't even have to me hyper distorted or crushing. The playing itself can convey the ferocity.

Something like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY3lsfxGAaU

(I'll admit to finding the tone crushing on this example though.. )
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X