Japanese Virtuosos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Virtuosos

Just wanted to share Since these guys don't get mentioned much on JCF, and some of you may not be as familiar with them as you are with North American / European virtuosos.

Gentaro Satomura: (Band: Storm Rider)
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Syu: (Band: Galneryus)
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There are a few more players in Japan that are considered to be at the same level... but these two are my favorites from the current crop of Japanese virtuosos.

Only one link each, 'cause you can easily find other clips on YouTube

Enjoy,

- Leo.

Lots and lots and lots of Jap virtuosos... Some of those cats are great.. My only problem with some of them, is they just try to do the Yngwie thing to death, not all, but quite a bit.
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ4AsE0jjeg

Lots and lots and lots of Jap virtuosos... Some of those cats are great.. My only problem with some of them, is they just try to do the Yngwie thing to death, not all, but quite a bit.
      I guess you have seen the Norifumi Shima clips then

Great player, but is a carbon copy of Malmsteen + Joe Stump.

That's why I like Gentaro and Syu, because even though they have incorporated some neoclassical elements in their playing, they have put their own spin to it... and both sound very "Japanese Metal" if you know what I mean... as opposed to just sounding like Malmsteen or anyone else.

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
        I guess you have seen the Norifumi Shima clips then

Great player, but is a carbon copy of Malmsteen + Joe Stump.

That's why I like Gentaro and Syu, because even though they have incorporated some neoclassical elements in their playing, they have put their own spin to it... and both sound very "Japanese Metal" if you know what I mean... as opposed to just sounding like Malmsteen or anyone else.

- Leo.
        No, I haven't seen the Norifumi Shima clips, please share, I like checking out all players!

Those guys were good, for sure, and not pure rip offs, which is cool. It's pretty hard not to "copy" Malmsteen, because he pretty much patented the "neo classical" sound, any diminished and phrygian run he associated his name with, so even if someone wasn't influenced by him, they're still very Yngwie sounding. I find that most of the neo-classical players, such as George Bellas, try to out Yngwie, Yngwie. By being more "neo classical", so to say, and that just makes it boring for me.. Yngwie added his classical influences in with some pretty cool riffs and that's what made him unique.
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I've seen these guys. TBH, I find them to be quite boring players.

I've grown to like this clip. Jani kicked Syu's ass. Bad.
          Guitars:
          Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
          Ibanez S520EX
          Jackson DK2M

Comment

Hmmm OK..I don't know their names but I do have their stuff ..check into Concerto Moon, Double Dealer, Arkstorm, Saber Tiger, and Vigilante!!!

That is off the top of my head..but very good stuff!!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

This guy = win!
              Guitars:
              Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
              Ibanez S520EX
              Jackson DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by Advv View Post

He's good, his tone is terrible!

Sounds like he likes his Kotzen.

Comment

He's good, his tone is terrible!

Sounds like he likes his Kotzen.
                  Fuck if I didn't know..I'd thought it was Kotzen.

That Concerto Moon dude is Japan's YJM..basically. Vigilante was very Proggy..ala Dream Thater-ish. But I think they streme lined a bit. Ark Storm is neo-classical..and I think the CM dude is the Saber Tiger and Double Dealer guy..but I could be wrong. I have too much to remember all this shit.

Well even if someone is very influenced by a particular player (who isn't), if they're good..they'll always have something good of their own to offer.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

No, I haven't seen the Norifumi Shima clips, please share, I like checking out all players!
                    Norifumi Shima is the guitar player of Concerto Moon

I personally find him way too similar to Malmsteen and especially Joe Stump, and can't listen to his stuff all the way through... so can't really recommend any specific clips for you. But just do a YouTube search for either "Norifumi Shima" or "Concerto Moon". Tons of clips.

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Advv View Post
                      I've seen these guys. TBH, I find them to be quite boring players.

I've grown to like this clip. Jani kicked Syu's ass. Bad.
                      I've seen that clip a few times, but Jani's playing in that never did much for me. Obviously a great player though.

Just curious, what are the aspects of Jani's playing in that clip that appeals to you the most?

- Leo.

Comment

His technique (loved that string skipping lick) and his licks being way more interesting than Syu's won it for me. At first I thought they were both quite boring though. Had to watch it a few times. Syu's seemed like he was playing the same stuff over and over.
                        Guitars:
                        Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
                        Ibanez S520EX
                        Jackson DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
                          Norifumi Shima is the guitar player of Concerto Moon

I personally find him way too similar to Malmsteen and especially Joe Stump, and can't listen to his stuff all the way through... so can't really recommend any specific clips for you. But just do a YouTube search for either "Norifumi Shima" or "Concerto Moon". Tons of clips.

- Leo.
                          Oh I bought all the CM CDs as they came out..love 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            Oh I bought all the CM CDs as they came out..love 'em!
                            I over-saturated myself with Neoclassical stuff a while ago, so in a different "phase" right now. I am sure I'll love them too when I hit another Neoclassical phase

- Leo.

Comment

Let us not forget the godfather...

Thats from 1982. Two years before Rising Force was released. While not neo-classical per se, he did do a lot of sweeps and used a lot of the neo-classical modes. It's really what seperated him as an Ed clone in my mind. People never seemed to get past that label for him though even though every single guitar player in the world taps now.

Man I wish I still had my tape of this whole album. Some of the music was really out there but a couple of the tunes are super solid.

Here's newer. Sounds almost Holdsworth in some spots...

Last edited by Hellbat; 05-30-2009, 12:13 PM. Reason: more betterer
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X