No announcement yet.

New Marty Friedman album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the belt around the knees for on those pants?

Has to be functional...no way someone would add them cause they looked cool.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

You all seem to be forgetting Marty is in Japan now. They're into all sorts of weird shit.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
        You all seem to be forgetting Marty is in Japan now. They're into all sorts of weird shit.
        That is true. He's a god in Japan. But they will eat up anything he does..especially a full throttle effort. I think everyone is thirsty for that. he should have followed his buddy Jeff's lead..I think. I mean everything Marty played on this is flawless, but the direction is just goofy.

Jeff put out the best intrumental shred guitar album since the late 80's Shrapnel days..hands down. He loved Jason/Marty and that's exactly what he was going for..

I can't discount Uli Roth's efforts, especially Vivaldi's four seasons. That's absolutely mindblowing.

Mustaine mentioned that Marty wanted to go more pop..he was tellin' the truth.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
          What is the belt around the knees for on those pants?

Has to be functional...no way someone would add them cause they looked cool.
          They hold the kneedpads in place when he is exercising his "gay intentions" so he doesn't get sore knees.

:ROTF:
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Listened to the clips, good stuff. As long as the results are good, I personally don't care how "gay" the source material is. I don't understand why that's even relevant.

Just like when CoB covers some poppish songs... but CoB makes them sound so cool, so .... good is good

- Leo.

Comment

Leo, before I looked at your comment, I KNEW it would be positive. Nothing wrong with that..you're cool. Like many, we have different preferences. But that's cool.

Ex: I cringe at those COB pop covers. I've enjoyed Alexi's stuff since Something Wild, and him in Thy Serpent, Impaled Nazerine, and Sinergy. It's like watching one of your faves (insert name) go techno, rap or pop..and that's happened alot. Even Randy wanted to leave Ozzy and do more pop oriented stuff and I had his "Load Up" bootleg that showed that.

I'm very predictable as well. I think I'm established as the old, disgruntled metal guy. Lke all communities we get to know people's likes and dislikes.

I LOVE Marty's playing. I was just hoping for something a little more ummmm..I don't know.."sincere" I guess. Some of it is, so I'll still grab it. I'm always turned off by drum machines and techno beats..That instantly kills it for me. But that's me..
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hi Bill: Thanks, I do my best to be a positive presence, whether online or offline

Yeah, different preferences... and that's always a given whenever people are involved You are a cool guy, have always enjoyed your posts, and have learned quite a bit from them. I wasn't directing my comment at anyone in particular... just thought that the thread could use a different perspective.

CoB: I can see how that type of covers would make hardcore metal-heads cringe in disgust, and I have no issues with that. The idea I wanted to convey was simply that... I always find it refreshing for an artist who is already well established in one style to show off other aspects of his/her musical personality. To me, that is much more interesting than have him/her release the same stuff over and over.

Off on a tangent now, but sort of related: Another reason I like this sort of Metal / Pop hybridization is that you are almost always guaranteed to have a very memorable and catchy melody (otherwise they wouldn't have chosen to cover it) combined with great guitar-centric playing. And that addresses one big issue I have with a lot of modern Metal bands... not enough melody. (of course, purely subjective opinion of mine)

Anyway. . . The really short samples in the original poster's link don't really do the songs justice. There is a few 2 minute long sample on YouTube, and Marty's interview where he talks about the concept underlying the album.

Marty Interview:
                Marty Friedman released an album in Japan in May of this year. I thrust the new album "TOKYO JUKEBOX", and Marty oneself talks.http://martyfan.com/

Clearly, he realizes that a lot of people won't like it because it's not what they want to hear from him, but he is releasing it anyway, because he feels it's a true representation of what he wants to do musically. So props to him for that

2 minute sample for "Ashita e no Sanka" off the new album:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- Song title roughly means "Hymn for Tomorrow"
                - I think it gets pretty passionate / epic towards the end, YMMV

"Amagi Goe" from the new album, live May 23rd, 2009:

2009.5.23?D1?????????????????????????????#MartyFriedman #????

- song title roughly means "crossing over the sky castle"

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  They hold the kneedpads in place when he is exercising his "gay intentions"
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Marty still is top of his game, no matter if it's "gay" japanese pop. The cover of polyrythm is orgasm-inducing.
                    Originally posted by Hellbat
                    Hey this is METAL. You don't need to roll with your homies and G's in a fkn Bentley while sippin' Cristal. You want to eat food that makes you want to curb stomp people. McDonalds delivers that. At least they weren't throwing back flapjacks at the Denny's across the street.

Comment

i wanna see megadeath with marty agian

Comment

I just listened to a song off this album, the sheer cheerfulness is creepy but the guitar stuff is great. The song "Tsume Tsume Tsume" is all instrumental and he shreds it up a bit. Reminded me of "Dragon Mistress". A lot.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Okay, I got nothing on this...

Marty's version of the song "Polyrhythm"
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Original song by a band called Perfume (Warning: You WILL be scarred for life.)
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

There is no doubt that Marty is a badass player and there are a lot of players who just cannot hold a candle or begin to grasp what is going on in his head while he is playing. My feeling of what I just heard was that he is shreadding over some really lame ass backtracks. I loved his previous solo stuff also... Really eastern and moody.
                            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              Well, Vinnie Moore has a new one out..I'll see what's that's like.
                              I got the new Vinnie Moore. I love everything Vinnie has done - even with UFO. But, this one is not for me. I can't really find his typical catchy melodies, no neoclassical shred, and his guitar sound is different. I loved his guitar sound. I don't know why he changed it. I will have to give it some more time. I have never had to FORCE myself to listen to a Vinnie Moore album.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                                I got the new Vinnie Moore. I love everything Vinnie has done - even with UFO. But, this one is not for me. I can't really find his typical catchy melodies, no neoclassical shred, and his guitar sound is different. I loved his guitar sound. I don't know why he changed it. I will have to give it some more time. I have never had to FORCE myself to listen to a Vinnie Moore album.
                                Well screw that album. I'll just listen to the Maze again.

Yes the backing track on the Marty album is subpar. I just tabbed out a bit of Polyrhythm out of sheer boredom. The melody and intro are actually kinda fun. I've tabbed the lead part up to about a minute and a half in. My Labrador is looking kinda annoyed because she trying to sleep so I'll take a break. Plus all the Marty vibrato kills your fingertips after not doing it for a while. The last Marty song I did was Valley of Eternity a few years back, right after I started.
                                "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                                X