Megadeth - Head Crusher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
    You guys that are still all up Marty and Nick's asses need to step back and give this an honest chance. I love them both and Junior too, but move on already. This lineup wants to create new great metal, not follow trends or sell out or play Jap pop to be popular.
    +1

I don't see the reason for this Marty/Menza glorification. Far too many MF/NM zealots, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, those guys are good, and yes, they did bring a lot to the table, but I mean come on... Marty's playing is fucking awesome, no doubt. It's Marty's playing that really made me listen to guitar, but it's only Marty's playing, not some MONUMENTAL OPUS OF GODLIKE SIGNIFICANCE!

In all seriousness, Marty's playing makes me cream, but by all means, there's better in other bands and projects. As far as him being the absolute best Deth had, well, there's no empirical evidence of that, only opinion. And a long established opinion by the grey masses doesn't cut it for me. Same goes for Nick Menza.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I also agree with Bill on the JayLo statement. Junior is put to his place when that man is playing the mighty four string.

I also wanted to say something else, cant remember what though. Fugg. :think:
      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Everyone jerks off to the Marty/Menza era Megadeth because, well, plain and simple, they put out the best albums they had when Jr, Marty, and Menza were all in the band. No one said Dave had picked worse musicians, but just as Bill said, you could be the best noodler and still not write for shit!

They had chemistry, and it really has shown in the records, and even in their post records after leaving Deth that the same chemistry just wasn't there.
        Originally posted by horns666
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

menza, ellefeson, friedman, and mustaine ever get together again it will be truly amazing day for metal, until then.........

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
            Everyone jerks off to the Marty/Menza era Megadeth because, well, plain and simple, they put out the best albums they had when Jr, Marty, and Menza were all in the band. No one said Dave had picked worse musicians, but just as Bill said, you could be the best noodler and still not write for shit!

They had chemistry, and it really has shown in the records, and even in their post records after leaving Deth that the same chemistry just wasn't there.
            Whole heartedly agreed. Still love RIP to this day. Never said nothin' bout Mustaine picking bad musicians. As you and others said, it's all in the chemistry. but I simply don't feel this singling out Marty and Menza as musical genii. The whole band should get credit for the records they did, not one single person. It's the albums that count. I just don't feel this need to compare everyone to Marty all the time. Taste is subjective, and each player's skill is debatable. The music from that era was absolutely mindblowing, and still is. It's just the pissing contest on others' behalf that has lately been getting to me, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
              Whole heartedly agreed. Still love RIP to this day. Never said nothin' bout Mustaine picking bad musicians. As you and others said, it's all in the chemistry. but I simply don't feel this singling out Marty and Menza as musical genii. The whole band should get credit for the records they did, not one single person. It's the albums that count. I just don't feel this need to compare everyone to Marty all the time. Taste is subjective, and each player's skill is debatable. The music from that era was absolutely mindblowing, and still is. It's just the pissing contest on others' behalf that has lately been getting to me, that's all.
              For sure. I for one, say the Marty/Menza era, because that's the era I liked and it's a lot more descriptive then saying "The Mustaine and Ellifson era". I guess you could say the RIP line up instead..
              The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

For sure. I for one, say the Marty/Menza era, because that's the era I liked and it's a lot more descriptive then saying "The Mustaine and Ellifson era". I guess you could say the RIP line up instead..
                To clear things up, I meant RIP as the album. I'm sure you picked that up, but others may be a little confused to pick up,from where we left off.

Comment

You know no one has mentioned thi but dave is amazing too. He can play complex riffs and sing over them. He's also a great songwriter. The main writer in megadeth. Is soloings not amazing but it is still good.
                  "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                  Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
                    You know no one has mentioned thi but dave is amazing too. He can play complex riffs and sing over them. He's also a great songwriter. The main writer in megadeth. Is soloings not amazing but it is still good.
                    Dave has great rhythms and is a great songwritter. His abilities are usually over looked by his attitude, though. But he's great.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      I'm a MUCH better bassist than I'll ever be a guitarist even if I praction 24/7 for the next two decades. With that said I would take James MacDonough over Dave Ellefson anyday. Overall, He's by far a MUCH better bassist. Bass players don't impress me, especially in mteal. James always impressed me live..Ellefson NEVER did.
                      James McDonough was very cool, but he was only a touring bassist. James Lomenzo kicks ass and fits in the band much better, IMO.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dave has great rhythms and is a great songwritter. His abilities are usually over looked by his attitude, though. But he's great.
                        i actually like daves attitude he doesnt bs
                        "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                        Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          James McDonough was very cool, but he was only a touring bassist. James Lomenzo kicks ass and fits in the band much better, IMO.
                          wasn't james lomenzo in white lion?
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                            wasn't james lomenzo in white lion?
                            Yes, he was. He was in Zakk Wylde's band for awhile, too.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm diggin the tune! Can't wait to hear the rest.

Comment

I really don't see it as being "up Menza/Friedman ass" so much as it is just preferring how the band sounded and performed during that era and using that as the point these new line-ups need to try and measure up to.

The magic (chemistry, whatever you want to call it) is gone. That's the issue for me anyway. I have a hard time believing that a guy like James Lomenzo is anything more than a hired gun. Simply having hired hands, regardless of how much "better" they may be than the people they have replaced, doesn't really produce that musical chemistry.

Menzas drumming IMO compliments Mustaines brand of guitar playing better than any drummer that has ever been in Megadeth. Mustaine has had guys more creative than Menza and guys that are all around better technical players but they all lack that feel that Menza brought to the music. Even the material from KIMB/PSBWB/ and SFSGSW sounded much tighter and precise with Menza than it did with Samuelson or Behler.

I have always referred Shawn as "Yawn Drover" for that reason. His drumming has always felt too "loose" and laid back for Mustaines guitar playing for my taste.

Seems most Megadeth fans are looking for that old magic and chemistry that Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza had. Unfortunately, that is just setting yourself up for disappointment because it will never be that way again.

Comment

Working...
                                X