No announcement yet.

Why didn't Ediie go solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, Ed did the whole songs mostly and recorded everything to his tape machine.

Later they jammed with his stuff and added bits here and there... just like every other rock band in the world does... but the writer was Ed and his ideas were very Jam oriented to begin with.. and that made VH sound cool
    Last edited by Endrik; 08-15-2009, 04:35 AM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

This is off topic a bit, but i told my Brother in law...."Just wait, the latest
      incarnation of VH with Roth, will release a full Concert DVD of their best
      stuff from 08'...and that way you can own their concert for $40 or whatever"...
      Then they never released anything! Which tells me, they knew it
      was weak, and couldnt come up with 2 hours of any footage that wasnt
      crap!
      Better to just hang onto getting fans to shell out $180 a ticket next
      go around. That way all they can be is "Mad"... after the show.

I do think Eddie will become the next Mustaine tho...when he finally fires
      Alex!

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks this is a dumb question?

What is the name of the band? Isn't guitar and sometime keyboards the generally what the songs are written around and focal part of them? Who plays those instruments? Who writes and arranges 90% of the songs? Who do you recgonize the minute you hear a VH song (other than Alex's snare...lol). Whenever your havd total creative freedom, lead the band, write, be a dick whenever you please...its your thing so no need to do something else.

The band Van Halen IS Eddies solo gig, if it wasnt Dave would still be there When one member says jump and other members have to say how high to stay in the band that is a solo artist who rules with an iron fist. Where's MA, where's Sammy? ask yoself if you would hire an unknown chubby teen to tour as a basist in aworld famous band if it wasnt YOUR band

Every VH album is a VH solo album
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post

What is the name of the band? Isn't guitar and sometime keyboards the generally what the songs are written around and focal part of them? Who plays those instruments? Who writes and arranges 90% of the songs? Who do you recgonize the minute you hear a VH song (other than Alex's snare...lol). Whenever your havd total creative freedom, lead the band, write, be a dick whenever you please...its your thing so no need to do something else.

The band Van Halen IS Eddies solo gig, if it wasnt Dave would still be there When one member says jump and other members have to say how high to stay in the band that is a solo artist who rules with an iron fist. Where's MA, where's Sammy? ask yoself if you would hire an unknown chubby teen to tour as a basist in aworld famous band if it wasnt YOUR band

+1-stupid is as stupid is
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            That's bullcrap... Ed did write most of the stuff on his own by just messing around on the guitar.
            The difference between Van Halen and Van Hagar was that Ed could throw out every lick, riff or whatever to Dave and Dave would automatically sing over it. Ed said that Dave was the only person he knew who could do that over any of his crazy shit and Dave really enjoyed doing it.
            Sammy wasn't like that so Ed started to write more structured songs. Dave didn't need structure to sing over, Sammy did.

I said it was my opinion.. I wasn't stating fact. Jeez....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
              This is off topic a bit, but i told my Brother in law...."Just wait, the latest
              incarnation of VH with Roth, will release a full Concert DVD of their best
              stuff from 08'...and that way you can own their concert for $40 or whatever"...
              Then they never released anything! Which tells me, they knew it
              was weak, and couldnt come up with 2 hours of any footage that wasnt
              crap!
              Better to just hang onto getting fans to shell out $180 a ticket next
              go around. That way all they can be is "Mad"... after the show.

I do think Eddie will become the next Mustaine tho...when he finally fires
              Alex!
              These days I doubt any major act actually releases a true live recording (other than on youtube). Even the worst bands can clip together a couple hours of random stage shots and overdub the live tracks, tune the vocals, etc. etc. I saw the LA show and while it wasn't 1983, it was a good show.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                I said it was my opinion.. I wasn't stating fact. Jeez....
                hey, go ahead and state your opinion... and I'm gonna say why it's stupid
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I always assumed it had something to do with Ed's angelic singing voice.
                  The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbing Manor View Post
                    I always assumed it had something to do with Ed's angelic singing voice.
                    Your right just check out "How many say I":ROTF:
                    I dont get scared but i do get shocked!!

Comment

Ed probably has a fear of failure (see the Cherone era) or worse, a fear of being labled a copycat of someone else by stepping outside of VH and doing a solo or just a guitar album.

I agree with those that say VH is basically his solo project though. If the singers mouth off to him, they're gone. If Wolfie mouths off he goes to bed without dessert.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Not Technically VanHalen - the band, that is. Just Ed and Al from the Twister soundtrack.

Respect the Winds By Eddie & Alex Van Halen... Video by Misty B.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post

Well put, man. +1.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                            Well put, man. +1.
                            I concur.
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                            X