No announcement yet.

2009 Charvel So Cal or 1982 Strat head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Charvel So Cal or 1982 Strat head?

What a difference a week makes huh? Brand new 2009 Charvel polar white So Cal model last Thursday.

Sounds great, plays nice. Don't forget to keep scrollling down

Then I saw some pictures of the "tortured" series Custom Shop Charvels and started thinking. I had some beat up old gold Grovers. I know old Charvels didn't have Grovers but they almost all had gold tuners. I had some brass hardware. I had an old Floyd in chrome. So yeah, the hardware doesn't match. Just like it never did in 1982-1985. This is what all our Charvels looked like. The only Floyds we could get were chrome.

I also wanted to relic the body. A guy I know does cool, amateur relic jobs on strats. He had a new belt sander. What the heck? I explained that old Charvels did not wear like vintage Fenders and I didn't want the typical forearm wear like you see on all the relic strats. Well he grabbed my body and was going to take some paint off the edge on the forearm area. First thing he's ever done with the new belt sander. So he slowly brings it down toward the belt sander....... and then it touches the belt sander. ZING ZING ZING zing zing! The belt sander had grabbed the body and and took the paint down to the wood in three spots about an inch apart right on the forearm cut. Then it made two other weird scuffs above where the bridge pickup would be. OK then buddy..... THANKS.

So I took the guitar home and spent a ton of time trying to make it look passable and salvageable. So yeah, I ended up with the typical Fender relic style forearm wear but compared to what I started with it looks ok. I actually really dig it now. George Lynch style push pull pot to switch pickups. Duncan Custom/59 Alnico 5 hybrid I modded in the bridge and Duncan SSL-5 in the neck.

Last edited by Chubtone; 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM.

That's looks really cool! I was actuallly scared while reading your post before I saw the pics. Nice "relic" job!

Comment

Looks cool. Gotta dirty up that neck, though. :P

Comment

Man, you got balls letting a friend take his belt sander to a brand new So Cal but Charvel has always been about modding so WTF right? I'm not usually a fan of artificially reliced gtrs either but that looks pretty damn cool. The only thing I don't care for is the forearm 'wear' accident. Nice job overall and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks pretty cool. I love the chrome and brass - looks good. I'm not sold by the "wear & tear" but as long as you dig it!

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
          So yeah, the hardware doesn't match. Just like it never did in 1982-1985.
          I had the same idear:

-------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
            The only thing I don't care for is the forearm 'wear' accident.
            You know that feeling when you think something you have just got completely ruined? Then you work on it and work on it and work on it and get to the point that it isn't COMPLETELY ruined and is almost passable. That's where I got with this guitar.

It was like having big, long 80's hair and going in for a slight haircut. The stylist accidently slips with the clippers she was using on the guy in the next chair and shaves you down to the skin right down the middle of your head. At that point you have to shave the rest of your head right? :ROTF:

I always figured if I hated it I could sand it down to bare wood and oil finish it or just have it repainted.

Comment

It does look better in person too. The area's around where it's down to wood fade from wood to white primer to the cream color on the body. In person it's more convincing.

Comment

You're one crazy dude to let a someone take a sander to a new guitar. But it turned out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

I have seen yours and when I first saw it I thought, "now this guy gets it". I have looked at my black San Dimas 1 about 100 times since I saw yours and thought I needed to Grandturk it.

Comment

That is a nice looking black Charvel, dig the OP's white SoCal too.

I was going for an 80's kind of vibe myself when I put chrome on my single-hum... It is not really a Charvel-style guitar though (1/2" panel input jack, regular Strat corner radius) but yeah, the chrome Floyd is a must and it looks just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
                      I have seen yours and when I first saw it I thought, "now this guy gets it". I have looked at my black San Dimas 1 about 100 times since I saw yours and thought I needed to Grandturk it.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Has anyone on here converted one of these white So Cals into an Adrian Smith? They look pretty similar anyway but the Jackson Adrian Smith has the jack in the wrong place. I'm considering getting one and doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by iain_atkinson_1986 View Post
                          They look pretty similar anyway but the Jackson Adrian Smith has the jack in the wrong place.
                          You mean the Socal has the jack in the wrong place...
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            You mean the Socal has the jack in the wrong place...
                            That's the guitar I meant:

Comment

Nice pic - yeah, the new Adrian is a touch different than the original. Personally, I like the side jack better than the regular strat style.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X