Creaky trem springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creaky trem springs

The springs (I think) on my USA Pro San Dimas 1 have just started to make a pretty bad creaking noise when I depress the trem heavily. I've had the guitar for about 6 months but I don't usually use the trem that much or that aggressively. I know it's not the 'true' OFR but I don't really expect to hear creaking on a relatively expensive guitar such as this.

Is there an quick and easy cure or will I need to replace the springs?

N.B. The base of the trem isn't quite parallel to the guitar body - the fine tuners are just a touch higher than they should be. I suppose I could tighten the retaining screws to pull the trem backwards a bit but I'm not sure whether this would stop the creaking. Also the guitar still stays in tune after heavy depressing so I suppose that the springs aren't weak in any way.

Any advice from the trem experts out there would be gratefully received.

Actually, I've just noticed that the middle spring is catching against the wood and I think this is what is making the noise. Can I adjust the retaining screws while the guitar is tuned up as I've not done FR set ups before?

Comment

Originally posted by alanhindle View Post
      Actually, I've just noticed that the middle spring is catching against the wood and I think this is what is making the noise. Can I adjust the retaining screws while the guitar is tuned up as I've not done FR set ups before?
      My Polar White does the same thing, I just never usually dive that far down.

Comment

Yes, you could adjust the springs.
        Just be prepared to adjust the rest of the setup to maintain a level balance.

If just the center is catching I would have to say that the block is off center from where it should be.
        Or perhaps the spring set is weak, causing the whole block to be off balance.
        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 11-13-2009, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Depending on the setup the 37 mm Floyd block is not really ideal for the steep angled neck pocket on the Charvels.

A 42 mm tremolo block will fit, and will get the springs farther away from the bottom of the cavity. You can get a big brass one from floydupgrades.com for about $35 IIRC; I had one on my Pro Mod mutt.

Unfortunately you're not going to get much pull-back with one of these installed.

Or, you could just file down the edge of the cavity.

Comment

Originally posted by alanhindle View Post
            N.B. The base of the trem isn't quite parallel to the guitar body - the fine tuners are just a touch higher than they should be. I suppose I could tighten the retaining screws to pull the trem backwards a bit but I'm not sure whether this would stop the creaking. Also the guitar still stays in tune after heavy depressing so I suppose that the springs aren't weak in any way.
            The trem base isn't supposed to be parallel with the body, it's supposed to be parallel with the neck. The neck pocket on the promods are angled specifically so the Floyd can be setup properly to have a bit of pull-up room even though there's no recess route.

Comment

I found some fender springs I've picked up from my local shop had the part that goes into the block vary in length from one to another. Actually I clipped some because they sat up a little. You may want to try a different spring and see if you can find one that sits up a little. Another option, is you can simply sand down the wood a little under the spring.
              Last edited by vondran; 11-14-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Regular 42mm block for $20:

I'm not sure why they put 37mm blocks on these, unless they're trying to make a compromise so it's easier for people who want to lower the trem flush to the body.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  Regular 42mm block for $20:

I'm not sure why they put 37mm blocks on these, unless they're trying to make a compromise so it's easier for people who want to lower the trem flush to the body.
                  Nice, on the stock Floyd blocks. The brass 42 really impedes the ability of the tremolo to go sharp in the Pro Mod cavity.

I thought the standard block was 37mm... I figured they just left it alone because it was "good enough."

Comment

It's weird. All of my '80s non-recessed floyds had 42mm blocks. My '05 pointy has a 42, but some folks say theirs had a 37. My '06 strathead came with a 37 and was set up with less neck tilt & pullup range than my pointy. I always thought the 37mm block was made especially for guitars like the Wolfgang, where the trem sits on the body and is set for dive-only, but now we're seeing them on all of these guitars with non-recessed floating trems. The problem for me is that I prefer the old-school feel of a non-recessed trem sitting high off the guitar with a decent amount of pullup range. It seems like these have a bit less neck tilt and hardly have any pullup range. I get more than a full step of pullup on my '05 pointy and on my old Charvels, but quite a bit less on my strathead and on the Pro-Mods I've tried. Some prefer it this way, but not me.

Comment

I always replace trem springs when they get to creaking. I mean, they are like a buck and a half!

Comment

I checked my Slime Green and it has it also. But like I said, no biggie for me, I don't drop it that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                          It's weird. All of my '80s non-recessed floyds had 42mm blocks. My '05 pointy has a 42, but some folks say theirs had a 37. My '06 strathead came with a 37 and was set up with less neck tilt & pullup range than my pointy. I always thought the 37mm block was made especially for guitars like the Wolfgang, where the trem sits on the body and is set for dive-only, but now we're seeing them on all of these guitars with non-recessed floating trems. The problem for me is that I prefer the old-school feel of a non-recessed trem sitting high off the guitar with a decent amount of pullup range. It seems like these have a bit less neck tilt and hardly have any pullup range. I get more than a full step of pullup on my '05 pointy and on my old Charvels, but quite a bit less on my strathead and on the Pro-Mods I've tried. Some prefer it this way, but not me.
                          My '05 Star had the 37mm block, and the trem was only floating like 1/4" above the body. Though, I decided the drop it onto the body and shim the saddles up because I wanted it to dive only.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Warmoth offers a "flush mount" Floyd option, which I hoped was angled about like the Pro Mod.

Nope.

The action is super low and the tremolo is right on the body (with the saddles shimmed to a 20" radius) and I could not lower the bridge any more without it smashing into the face of the guitar in a full dive.

The Pro Mods don't have pull-up like a recessed Floyd but they DO have a lot more neck angle than what Warmoth does for a non-recessed Floyd. But the Warmoth angle seems perfect for a 37 mm block.

Comment

I've had the same problem before and just put some tissue paper between the springs and the body to mute them. It works, seriously :O) That's what a local tech told me to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X