san dimas back of neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• san dimas back of neck

does the neck any finish at all like a satin?

also will the neck darken with age or sun exposure?

Comment

The necks are oiled. They feel like raw wood. It will darken with dirt.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

And if you keep your axes in sunlight I'd be more worried than just the neck having a darker appearance...
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

so finish at all? just wondering cause my fingerboard is dirtier than the back of the neck.

Comment

How old is the guitar neck you are asking about? While the majority of the San Dimas necks are just oil finished, especially the newer ones like the production models, there are some original necks that were laquer finished. It's probably still a custom shop option. Chances are the neck that you have is just oil finished. The fingerboard gets dirtier than the back of the neck because you have 4 fingers touching it as opposed to 1 touching the back. You should be able to tell if the neck you have has a finish on it. If the dirty fingerboard bothers you, just use some 0000 steel wool. It will clean up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by jbob View Post
              so finish at all? just wondering cause my fingerboard is dirtier than the back of the neck.
              That would be normal. The tips of your fingers on the strings are going to generate a lot more gunk than your thumb on the back of the neck.
              Blank yo!

Comment

cool, I like the worn look, just was looking at the headstock looked finished and thought maybe the back of the neck had some sort of finish as well since it hasn't gotten dirty at all like my Custom Shop Fenders,

the neck is a newer production San Dimas, which has become my #1 love the tele body with a floyd and a maple neck with big frets, its my dream guitar. I have other nice guitars but this one is my fave now.

Comment

The face of the headstock has a thin satin coat to protect the decal, and the rest of the neck is finished with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, which is a product made for gun stocks. It's more than just an oil. It has solids in it that can build up like a varnish with multiple coats, but they keep it pretty light for these necks.

Comment

Called Charvel they told me they do put a thin finish on the back of the necks and headstock, the fingerboard is bare, but the back of the neck will never get dirty, that gun stock oil thing is pure BS

Comment

I don't know who you talked to, but they were wrong.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

the 3 promod necks that I have had have felt so raw that I had to sand them down more and reapply some tung oil. How could anyone think they have a satin finish.

Comment

:idea: talked to the shop manager. Its not like Charvel is huge, well Fender is but he told me it was to make the back of the neck satin like and smooth, the skunk stripe isnt smooth without this finish.:idea:

Comment

There is no hard finish on the back of the neck. Only oil. On the headstock there is a hard satin finish. You are misinformed unless they very recently started spraying the backs of the necks.

Comment

i asked , just reporting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X