Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats why the board gets dirty but not the back of the neck

Comment

Back of the neck does get dirty, just not as quickly as the front because you have 4 fingers touching the front and only one touching the back. There is no finish other than oil on any part of these Charvel necks except the front of the headstock as has been stated in this thread already.

Comment

Call Charvel tomorrow 480-596-9690
        and ask for yourself. I am not making this up. I wanted to know cause the back of the neck had the same satin finish as the headstock, but I noticed the fretboard did have the same texture, well sure enough it has a "light coat" of whatever they use on the headstock and it aint gunstock oil, soooooooo call and find out to varify, maybe I am wrong and I talked to the moron that runs the shop. I would think he would know what the hell the necks have on them. Not trying to argue just clarify the fact that the back of the neck has a finish and its not gun oil. simple. Prove me wrong call the guy. Long distance is cheap now a days and even free on a cell phone. take ya 5 min like it did for me.

Comment

Jbob is right. I had a small neck-repair done on a ProMod at a local luthier, because a piece of the skunk stripe broke and fell out (some people here might remember it). I told him that the neck is raw, but then he noticed and showed to me that there is a very thin satin finish on the back.

Comment

go compare a MIJ jackson to one of these. The jacksons have a satin finish. That finish you see is the gunstock oil. Do you think just because it's an oil that it can't be seen and like magic it dries clear and is undetectible? It's used to seal the wood, what it be worth to not have any trace of it?

Comment

This threads a joke.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by jbob View Post
                thats why the board gets dirty but not the back of the neck
                No, the board primarily gets dirty because of scummy guitarists who often don't clean their hands before playing and/or the faint wear of the metal strings impregnating the fretboard wood (maple) with microscopic metal shavings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  go compare a MIJ jackson to one of these. The jacksons have a satin finish. That finish you see is the gunstock oil. Do you think just because it's an oil that it can't be seen and like magic it dries clear and is undetectible? It's used to seal the wood, what it be worth to not have any trace of it?
                  It's not that I don't know the difference. I own several C/J guitars with oiled necks and a few Musicman guitars with oiled necks. But somehow my ProMod neck is different. I would have sworn it's a different finish, but they probably only drowned my neck in gunstock oil

Comment

Originally posted by jbob View Post
                    Called Charvel they told me they do put a thin finish on the back of the necks and headstock, the fingerboard is bare, but the back of the neck will never get dirty, that gun stock oil thing is pure BS
                    Absolutely not. There is no finish on the back or front of the neck unless it's requested. There is a thin satin clear on the headstock...The person you talked to was mistaken. I'll swing by Customer Service and let them know...

Comment

Thanks Bionic!

This thread is akin to heading over to the Les Paul Forum's Historic section and posting, "I just talked to Henry over at Gibson, and he said all the '59 RI's are sprayed with Poly, not Nitro."
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                        No, the board primarily gets dirty because of scummy guitarists who often don't clean their hands before playing and/or the faint wear of the metal strings impregnating the fretboard wood (maple) with microscopic metal shavings.
                        Now hold on a second!

My fingertips create an incredible amount of black funk when I play - so hand washing doesn't prevent. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the the strings as well - how much gunk comes off of them.

Also - the front and back of my ProMod's neck are both black and gunky - the back moreso around the shoulders where my hand wraps... and it took the better part of a year of playing it for the back to really show gunk.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

"No finish" or Tru Oil?

The spec sheets say the necks are Gunstock Oil.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            "No finish" or Tru Oil?

The spec sheets say the necks are Gunstock Oil.
                            Yes... sorry... to be clear... the necks are oiled.

Comment

Again not trying to stir up anything, I was just wondering cause on my fender guitars where the neck has nitro and has worn off the neck gets dirty on the back. Also the Ibanez guitars with maple necks from the 80s did the same thing. Different but "wear" marks. more in some areas than others. I like to play in the key of A and D, and of course E so those are my 3 "wear" spots. the front of the maple board of this socal S1 board is getting those "wear" marks, but the back of the neck was like new. I noticed when I took the neck apart that the back of the neck and finger board were different in terms of having a sheen. and it was soft. I took some 0000 steel wool, and sure enough a powdery substance came off that smelled like poly came off, and boom bare neck! and now its getting the "wear marks" I like it better this way. It was explained to me they do it so that the back of the neck is smooth. I can understand this cause when I took the back of the finish off the stripe of the back isn't smooth at all. Personally I like bare wood, it wears in better, gunk or not, if there is a poly fin it will never wear, the old poly did back in the 70s but nowadays the stuff is like steel. I could also understand it for warranty reasons as well.

Hey I might be wrong and maybe I did talk to a person who has no idea, but to me it looks like it, it smelled like it, and was told it was, so I can only go by what I have seen. I work on guitars all day in a shop so I have seen many many guitars and the back of these remind me of the same stuff they use on USA Fender maple strats. So I just wanted to let you guys know this since it was a question I had, and I went to the source. PLEASE someone else call and see what they tell you. That would be super awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic View Post
                                Absolutely not. There is no finish on the back or front of the neck unless it's requested. There is a thin satin clear on the headstock...The person you talked to was mistaken. I'll swing by Customer Service and let them know...
                                they told me the finish on the headstock is the same on the back, no different cause I brought that up as well. it matches the back for the same reason and its not gun oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X