No announcement yet.

Picked up a San Dimas Style 2 today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a San Dimas Style 2 today...

and I'm loving it. Very, very playable. I was choosing between the SD2 and a Jackson DKMG - no contest. The Charvel felt 100x better.

Only played it through my Mesa Single Recto so far, but will also be running it through a Peavey Tube Vypyr 60. Very crunchy/punchy sound out of the Mesa.

Plays and sounds much different than my 95 SG Standard (which I love to death).

I look forward to hanging out in the forums!

I went with the Pagan Gold color, but in these pictures it looks orange-ish yellow. I'll have to snap some in the day time.

nice grab.....cool guitars fer sure
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Congrats! Glad you ended up getting one. How are you finding the pull back on the trem?
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        Congrats! Glad you ended up getting one. How are you finding the pull back on the trem?
        Seems good enough. Since this is my first Floyd Rose equipped guitar, I can't say it will always give me all that I need, but right now it seems just fine. Probably as good as the Jackson in that regard.

The factory setup seems just about perfect. The only thing I plan on changing is putting some 10-46 strings on.

Comment

Any San Dimas Style 2 owners also pick up a hard case? Seems like a Fender tele case would work as would the SKB or Gator universal cases. Just wondering if anyone had a favorite.

Comment

I have the same guitar in the same color. I can't put it down. Might be the best $699 I ever spent. Thinking about getting Grover mini locking tuners just to make string changes easier/faster.

Comment

Originally posted by the_wallcrawler View Post
              Any San Dimas Style 2 owners also pick up a hard case? Seems like a Fender tele case would work as would the SKB or Gator universal cases. Just wondering if anyone had a favorite.
              I have mine in a Gator universal case. Fits fine.

Comment

I had one of those in the same color but had to sell it because of a move. I miss it! Nice guitar!

Comment

I got mine last weekend..in white. It's quickly become my favorite guitar (and it's in very good company...2006 PRS CE 22, 2007 IBZ RGT320Z Team J Custom, 2008 LP Standard, and a 2009 Fender American Deluxe)

When I saw that Charvel stopped production of the Style 2, I kinda figured they'd drop the price...but I never would've imagined it would've gone from 1100 to 700. That's a steel as far as I'm concerned.

So I do have a couple questions to the Charvel faithful. First, why did they stop production???was it because of sales numbers? Also, what do you owners think of the floyd? I really like it...it's the same trem that was on an old Kramer that I had. I read a million articles and reviews that claim the IBZ edge zero bridge is the best in the business....to be honest, I like the one on the San Dimas better...even if it is Korean made. This friggin IBZ is impossible to change tuning...once it's locked in, it's there until the next setup. Not the case with this Charvel Tele.

One small problem I had out of the box was the screw that holds the volume knob in place was loose. So I'd turn it, and it kept going...I finally figured out that it just needed tightening, and then it was fine....but it did give me a little scare when I first brought her home.

I guess my last question is how do these guitars compare to Jacksons (or style 1 charvels for that matter). I have this Ibanez, and to be honest, as beautiful as it is, and as many bells and whistles that it has, it's not nearly as nice to play as this Charvel...at least for me. I'm seriously considering selling it and buying another Charvel (So Cal or San Dimas 1), or maybe even a American made Jackson.

So strange that they stopped making these Tele style Charvels...but I aint gonna complain...especially when I see some sites still selling them for 1100 bucks.

Here's mine...lovin it!!!

Todd M

Comment

I just bought a Candy Purple one as well and I'm loving it- it's the best playing guitar I have aside from my Jackson SL-1, but they're 2 entirely different animals.

IMO Charvel discontinued it just to streamline production. Most people buying Charvels are doing it out of nostalgia and want the strat shaped ones they remember from the 80's- so the tele shaped ones were probably the lowest selling towards that market.

I'm happy someone though ill of the model or I would've never been able to get a Charvel for $699!

Comment

I really dig the white style 2. I'd love to add one but can't justify it right now. Hopefully not too far down the road.

Only issue I've noticed with my guitar in the 2 months or so since I got it is with the pickup selector switch. It's a little noisy.

Comment

Originally posted by the_wallcrawler View Post
                        I really dig the white style 2. I'd love to add one but can't justify it right now. Hopefully not too far down the road.

Only issue I've noticed with my guitar in the 2 months or so since I got it is with the pickup selector switch. It's a little noisy.
                        I almost got the same one as you bro....but the white just popped....I never thought I'd like a white guitar...but with the maple fretboard and the black hardware, it really looks nice...much nicer in person than in pics. Believe me though...I'd certainly be just as happy if I picked up the gold piece.

I agree about the selector switch...but I actually prefer it to a blade selector...or the god-awful selector on the Les Pauls...so I deal with the little extra noise.

I'm seriously considering selling some electronics/computers to pick up a style 1 now...Anybody looking to buy a Macbook Air (with the 128 SSD drive)...it's only 8 months old, and it's a great computer...I'd just rather have another guitar now

I'd sure love a side by side comparison of a style 1 vs style 2...anyone have both?

Todd
                        Todd M

Comment

Working...
                        X