the snakeskin cometh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
    yep. in my eyes a snakeskin graphic does not justify more the double the price. now look at the recent graphics in the pro mods. the blue flame is only $150 more than the regular pro mods and thats a graphic paint. now that is what I call a good deal. but no way is the snake worth $2500. no way. its just a paint job. I would rather grab a new pro mod, and send the body to GMW or Mike Learn to be refinished in snake and still be way ahead on cash.
    His signature axes are a bit different than the pro mods. The neck feels fatter. There's a German made floyd and a Duncan custom shop RTM pickup. Then there's the paint (if only it was real snakeskin like his performance). so a basic retail price on those is-

German Floyd = $250
    Paint = $400
    Duncan RTM pickup = $160
    Fatter Neck (USA Built) $400

Paying American workers to build the guitar $$$-???

I don't think the price increase is that far off.

Comment

is 1/16 that big of a deal???
      Yes. Could live with it, but yeah, can tell the difference. If you could see the size of my hands you'd understand why.

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
        Yes. Could live with it, but yeah, can tell the difference. If you could see the size of my hands you'd understand why.
        are you trying to get me to go out with you?
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

are you trying to get me to go out with you?
          Whoa, nellie! It ain't that kinda party... Just sayin' I have BIG HANDS, and feel most comfortable on 1 3/4"/R5 necks. It's just a comfort thing.

Comment

good thing. Homey dont swing that way.

now, back to guitars. anyone ever put actual snake skin on a guitar like Warrren's original snakey???

Comment

Now that THAT's settled...lol

Cool, so we're in agreement on that.

No, haven't ever done one, but looking for python skin suppliers and considering it...

Appears as though it would take a someone fairly skilled to sew/adhere it properly so it would look essentially seamless...

Comment

If I did it, I would just use a black guitar and do the front only. no sense in doing the rear and sides to me.

Comment

Hmmm...

If I did it, I would just use a black guitar and do the front only. no sense in doing the rear and sides to me.
                  That got me thinking: wouldn't a top-only covering start to peel on the edge fairly quickly, especialy on the forearm contour? I can see why it's not a problem on headstocks, but might not work too well on a body?

Comment

These are MAP at $2699.00 ouch!!
                    Last edited by Predator1; 01-28-2010, 01:39 AM.

Comment

The hard part is finding skins 12 in wide. There are a bunch of faux skins out there that are very reasonable for covering a guitar. This is why I spend the time researching and developing the technique shown here. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102772
                      I have priced the skins myself. When lucky enough to find them big enough, it was several hundred dollars just for the skin.
                      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

yea, I found that as well. its upwards of $200 for a decent skin. I looked at some snakeskins on the warren dimartini fansite..... it looks to me like doing on in real snake skin would be a chore. as cool as it looks, it looks like it would be painstakingly difficult.

Comment

Working...
                        X