Charvel article from Guitar World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel article from Guitar World

This was posted on Charvel's Facebook page so I'm going to assume it's ok to post here.

This is an article from Guitar World that covers the history of Charvel. Please note that you will need a PDF reader installed (e.g. Adobe Acrobat) to open this file.

Built For Speed

Excellent read, thanks for posting!
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Nice to see Charvel (and Jackson) finally getting their due in one of the major guitar mags.

Wish they had done a more in-depth profile on the custom shop itself, too, though. Less history, and more "here's all the cool s**t we can do" kind of thing. ...Maybe they could do that with some future profile of the Jackson brand, though.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the post. Excellent read, especially for those of us who were still in kindergarden in the early eighties.

Comment

That was a great read for the uninitiated. My hat is off to Fender for allowing the brands to succeed by going back to their roots and realizing that the people that built them were what made these guitars special. Many companies and many industries could learn from this example.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Cool, although it jumped around in time some (I did see a couple minor errors. ie: IIRC the original plant was on the north side of the street so it should now be a strip mall parking lot, not where the Costco is - told ya it was minor!)
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey Matt...you beat me to it bro. I got my issue of Guitar World tonight and figured I'd scan the article. I can't tell you how happy I was to see this piece..seeing that I just bought a brand new San Dimas 2 last weekend. It's quickly become my favorite - in a short list of very good company. Anyway, I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules...but seeing that I spent the time scanning them, I figured that I'd post the images (for anyone left in the world who doesn't have a .pdf viewer) I do apologize for cutting off the edges of a couple scans...it's not exactly my strong suit.

Regarding the article...I thought it was great. I've always been partial to Charvel guitars...even over Jackson (not to knock Jackson)...I've owned a few...and I just always liked the brand. Recently I just joined the club again, and it's like vistiting an old friend. I agree with the post that said they (GW) should do a follow-up with Jackson...and perhaps more custom shop guitars. But either way, this article really brought me back and I got a nice little history lesson in the process.
                Enjoy.

Todd

Todd M

Comment

I preferred the PDF version without the advertising myself...
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    I preferred the PDF version without the advertising myself...
                    So did I
                    Todd M

Comment

Great read!

Comment

Nice article, although they didn't go into the details of the great new production guitars Charvel / Fender is making now. Awesome to see that Fender hired a lot of the original Charvel/Jackson builders to work on these guitars again. I remember talking to Tim Wilson back when I had a problem with my '85 Charvel superstrat. Great guy!
                        '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                        '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                        '98 PRS Custom 22
                        '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          That was a great read for the uninitiated. My hat is off to Fender for allowing the brands to succeed by going back to their roots and realizing that the people that built them were what made these guitars special. Many companies and many industries could learn from this example.
                          yes

i am glad FMIC were smart enough to keep as many of the old school guys still working there, instead of just firing everyone and starting over.

i have played a few of the new ones that i like. my local dealer only has a few in stock, and hasn't ordered any of the new custom shop stuff, i wish they WOULD so i could play them.

it's great to see Jackson/Charvel still alive and cranking out cool guitars. I have been really interested in those Pablo Santana "Pablo cut" Soloists....

wish the custom shop prices weren't so high, but it IS the FMIC, where $6000 reliced strats are the norm

Comment

Cool article. I wish they would have made it twice as long and included the Jackson story.

Comment

nice article and not cheesy thank god, enjoyed reading it.
                              DK2 EERIE DESS
                              KE3 CUSTOM
                              KELLY PROFESSIONAL
                              KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
                              RR3 PRO
                              BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
                              KRAMER VOYAGER
                              LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
                              TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

Working...
                              X