No announcement yet.

The great floyd rose debate continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really can't say, but I do know that the 42mm equipped guitar was a huge favorite for tone. And, if the big block does anything, the 42mm does more of it.

It's just a few bucks more... Might as well go for the 42!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post

It's just a few bucks more... Might as well go for the 42!
      funny, i was thinking the same thing.

I've found the tungsten blocks now, smaller AND heavier... and only a few bucks more

Comment

Beyond 11 is the original heavy metal guitar shop that sells all major brands of heavy metal guitar equipment.

done

debate ova

LOL
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          OK - first - the MIK Floyds are "original" Floyds. They are produced for the Floyd Rose company, sold as Floyd Rose tremolos, and are not licensed.

So using the word "original" to describe MIG Floyds is misleading and erroneous.

Now, if we could get guitar manufacturers to note that they are using a Schaller-made in Germany Floyd vs. a Made in Korea Floyd, then we would have some clarity around the situation.

Now, IMO, the MIK Floyd is a good trem. I've had two ProMods with them, and have found them to be good trem units that stay in tune. The only consistant problem I've got with the MIK Floyd is the bar, which is a $15 fix.

That said, I have replaced both with MIG Floyds - one because of color and one because of convenience.

The only thing I haven't done with a MIK Floyd is played one for 20 years. Time will be the ulitimate test of the MIK Floyd. If they're still working in 20 years, then they will have passed the test.
          I know this isnt a Charvel question, but does this apply to the USA select series as well, are the trem units on the USAs MIK??
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
            Have you ordered from them before? I've considered ordering some stuff in the past, but their reseller ratings are pretty bad and have turned me away.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              I know this isnt a Charvel question, but does this apply to the USA select series as well, are the trem units on the USAs MIK??
              On the Charvel ProMods, the stock Floyd Rose tremolo is MIK (although the company doesn't exactly admit to the exact point of manufacture - common practice - they go where they can get them produced to their required specifications at their required price point).
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Honestly, swapping a Floyd on these guitars is very easy, and you should at least learn how to set the intonation on a Floyd, as that is just about the only thing you'll need to do when swapping the trem - and you can eyeball it and be very close. You might need to adjust the spring tension, but that's it.
                +1!!! I've been playing OFR's & the Schaller lic'd version (which, IMO, is just as good- hardened steel pivot inserts, different string lock screws, "warmer" tone) and a few Ibanez Edges for 25 years. You'll save yerself a boat load of money if you learn how to intonate. It's not difficult- just wears the patience thin the first couple of times. Info is available on the web-just Google it. And set ups? Yeah, ya really should learn some basics because if you ever change string gauges or swap in a new trem or want to lower or raise the action, or adjust the tension on the trem springs for a different feel, you'll be needing those skillz or be paying somebody to do it for you. Finally, if your swapping in a Schaller OFR (Schaller is the manufacturing firm that makes the MIG Original Floyd Rose.) the posts and spring settings should remain the same- all you do is drop the MIG unit in and re-attach the springs, string it up, intonate and locker her down and then yer ready to rock...

Comment

On the Charvel ProMods, the stock Floyd Rose tremolo is MIK (although the company doesn't exactly admit to the exact point of manufacture - common practice - they go where they can get them produced to their required specifications at their required price point).
                  Guys, do yourself a favor, order an OFR made by Schaller (that way you KNOW it was made in Germany) from any number of guitar parts wholesalers and retailers (personally, I like GPDUSA.com- $179.00 for the black OFR) and then sell the MIK or other lic'd trem on E(vil)bay to recoup some the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                    Have you ordered from them before? I've considered ordering some stuff in the past, but their reseller ratings are pretty bad and have turned me away.
                    Nope, I have not.
                    Just grabbed a quick link to show the trem and pricing in general.
                    Sorry!
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

The only thing I haven't done with a MIK Floyd is played one for 20 years. Time will be the ulitimate test of the MIK Floyd. If they're still working in 20 years, then they will have passed the test.
                      Couldnt agree more.

I could care less about its nationality in 20 years or so if my K Floyd works like a charm.

My honest opinion though is that chances are it wont..:think:
                      Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

Working...
                      X