Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 86 Charvel for a RR1. Is it a good trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 86 Charvel for a RR1. Is it a good trade?

So Ive got a chance to trade my 1986 Charvel strat single hum w/ Kahler for a 2007 RR1 Jackson in mint shape. I have had my charvel repainted but not due to the original being trashed I just always wanted a white strat. The RR is worth probably $1100+. I just dont want to let my baby go for to little but Its been listed on the bay for a while at $1500 and not that many real offers so Im thinking of doing the trade. Again just really looking for a approx value of my Charvel? Thats a EMG 58 in there.
    Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

I would not if I were you.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balou View Post
      So Ive got a chance to trade my 1986 Charvel strat single hum w/ Kahler for a 2007 RR1 Jackson in mint shape. I have had my charvel repainted but not due to the original being trashed I just always wanted a white strat. The RR is worth probably $1100+. I just dont want to let my baby go for to little but Its been listed on the bay for a while at $1500 and not that many real offers so Im thinking of doing the trade. Again just really looking for a approx value of my Charvel? Thats a EMG 58 in there.
      And I had a extra volume pot installed internally with the toggle switch activating it as you can see. Also acts as a kill switch if you wanted.
      Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Comment

edit
        Last edited by levantin; 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM.
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Nobody, thats why I was thinking the trade would be a good deal for me. Ive gathered that my Charvel, since its been repainted, is probably only worth $1000 so Id be making out for the RR1 and I know I could always sell that for $1100+. This is way I posted a thread to see if you agree with the value of mine.

Comment

Right now, this minute, it would be a good trade because the RR1 is worth more than your Charvel. Realistically, you're not likely to get much more than $800 for a Kahlered plain-jane pointy with rosewood board in this market, and the refin doesn't help. Down the road, who knows for sure? They aren't making any more original San Dimas Charvels, but they are cranking out more RR1s all the time. Yours probably isn't ever going to be considered a collector's piece due to the refin, so it's not a huge deal, but just maybe something to keep in mind. So after all of that wasted typing, my advice would be to get the RR1 if you like it more than the Charvel.

Comment

Thank you. That is what Im looking for. I, like im sure everyone does, really want a RR1 in my collection and I really dont play the Charvel much these days as I have the ESP, Dean and new San Dimas. Just hard letting it go since its been mine for 24 years.

Comment

ask yourself this. will you regret it? picture yourself with the rr1 for a few years, and you maybe get bored with it. then think about trading. plus the san dimas has queensryche on it man! that rules!

Comment

Hmmmm... didn't realize you've had the Charvel that long. There's got to be a reason you've held onto it all this time. Sorry to waffle on you, I know that doesn't help. It depends on whether you're the sentimental type. I tend to be with the ones I've had a long time.

Comment

Haha, I know the Ryche rules. Well, if I think about it, i see myself doing the same thing I am now which is playing my new San Dimas and my ESP and not the vintage Charvel. Quite frankly Im sick of having to solder the high E string everytime I change it or risk it breaking thru the Kahler, last time it broke the next day and I would of sold it to you for $500 that day. Ive been playing with floyd Roses for the last 2 years and Ive only broken one string that whole time. So I dont think I'll have traders remorse on this one. I play an average of 15 hours a week now so function is more important then just having the Charvel looking good on my wall. And in the best case scenario my Charvel will be worth around $1500 in the next 10 years so not much to cry about i guess. I have been thru a divorce and the value of a dollar has changed dramatically for me after going thru that.

Comment

Keep your original Charvel. You can ALWAYS buy an RR1, you will NEVER be able to get your boyhood guitar back again. I would sell that ESP before I sold a Charvel that I bought 25 years ago! And, you can always find another Kahler to fix whatever is wrong with your string breaker.
                      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                      '98 PRS Custom 22
                      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Qualifier: I am not a big San Dimas pointy-head fan and I don't really give a crap about old or rare or anything like that.

IMO you'd have an easier time flipping the RR1 unless it's an undesirable finish.

On the other hand, if it's a guitar you would miss, it's a guitar you would miss, and you would have a hard time replacing it.

But if you're hell-bent on liquidating it, then purely from the "how can I get money out of this quickly" the best route is to make the trade and then sell the RR1 IMO.

Comment

Well the other thing is, as I think we all agree, how the neck feels to me. Of all my guitars I like the neck the least on it. Its beautiful and amazing but I have smallish hands and they just fit better on the New San Dimas, the Dean and the neck on the ESP, even tho its wider, just fits unbelievably and is definitely the best feel of the bunch. Its killing me to let it go but I want new gear. My first guitar was a Ibanez Roadster II and then I had a Warlock after that so Its not like its my first but how many 16 year olds buy a $1000 guitar and actually keeping it for the next 24 years.
                          Bottom line is that ive gotten back into playing and have gathered quite a bit of new gear and its made me realize Id be happy with a few items I use rather then a lot of items I just like having. It falls into the " I never thought I sell this but" category.

Comment

then rhoads it is! I'd rather have two or three irreplaceable guitars then 10-20 "cool" ones.

Comment

And also lets not kid ourselves here, Id be getting a USA RR1. A thing of beauty in itself and keeping a bit of the heritage alive by staying true to the brand.

At this point Ive decided to do the trade, just awaiting his email for the shipping details.
                              This all started cause I really want a Fractal Axe FX and getting rid of the Charvel seemed like a way to be able to do it so and goes along with what MakeaJazzNoisehere says.

Comment

Working...
                              X