Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 86 Charvel for a RR1. Is it a good trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless Jackson changed the RR1 neck shape, it's gonna be pretty similar to your '85 Charvel! Did you try an RR1? Don't get me wrong, if you like one guitar more than another, go for the one you like. You are not running a museum, right? Get the guitar you will play and enjoy it!

What color is the RR1??
    '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
    '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
    '98 PRS Custom 22
    '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Its a Black 2007. It does have EMG 81 and 85 at 18V already installed as well. Its a combination of wanting the Floyd Rose over the Kahler, the 2 humbuckers vs 1 and the fact that I do like the pointy headstock doesnt hurt either. I have not ever played one but I wouldnt be upset if it had the same neck as the Charvel, the addition of the other features will over come that. And its also in Mint condition, no chipped wings or headstock.
      Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Comment

All your guitars - including the RR1 are worth about $400 each

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes, they're worth $400 each. :think:

Anyway, I really appreciate the "real" feedback from most of you.
          Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Comment

Ron's just messing around. There have been a few new folks lately asking for values just to use the info to flip guitars on eBay, and it's started to hit some nerves. I don't think anyone here thinks that's what you're up to.

Comment

I would bet that if you put your 85 San Dimas on eBay, you would get $900 for it easy!
              '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
              '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
              '98 PRS Custom 22
              '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Nope, I'm very proud of being a Charvel owner and like to get other like minded opinions about certain things. Ive already tried to sell it on ebay and spend a lot of time on there so ive got a feel for what most guitars and amps go for anyway, although not many 86 and older Charvels pass through the bay and they are all over the place in terms of what they go for. Just cause Im new doesnt mean I dont care. I spend most of my time in the Randall forum, great bunch of people in there. Its always like this for the new guy but I think since Ive owned a Charvel since 1986 I'm more then qualified to be here. Again I do apriciate all the opinions.

Comment

Dude...it's pretty late and I haven't read all the replies...but I'll just throw in my 2 cents...if you get rid of a 80's Charvel that you customized yourself, you WILL regret getting ride of it. Think about it....you're only talking about 800-1000 bucks...so what. Keep your Charvel...even if you don't play it much, trust me...you'll regret it. Sell something else...find something laying around the house and put it out on ebay...anything.

The only reason I'm telling you this is because I've sold off two guitars that I regret now. First, I had an import (early 90s Charvel)...but it was a nice piece nonetheless....but moreso than that...I recently sold off my Kramer Nightswan...which was my first 'quality' guitar...I was saying the same thing...well...I don't play it much...and I really want a Les Paul in my collection. The truth is, I probably could've sold off a laptop, or some Harley parts and gotten just as much money.

Keep the Charvel and beg, borrow, steal to get that RR

Hope this helps man!

Todd
                  Todd M

Comment

It seems like a great trade actually....totally even and fair...

EXCEPT if it's a guitar you've had for years etc...

Comment

Sorry, wasn't too productive there. That's what you get for posting drunk.

I like the white strat, I like kahlers and single hums. Ergo, I wouldn't trade for a rr1 if it was my guitar, regardless of value.
                      Last edited by levantin; 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM.
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

To reply to Todd, I customized it over 2 decades ago, Ive totally changed my skill level and likes and sure in a perfect world just keep it. Well, Ive already cleaned out the house over the last year for things to sell and thats actually how I ended up with my ESP KH-2, and that is now my "goto war" weapon, so the Charvel lost its luster as a "Ill never sell it" once I got the KH, ESP really did well on the KH that I acquired.
                        I did the Trade and Im happy, and as the post above say's I actually feel like I made out much better. The RR does take a bit of getting used to when standing as it tends to lean forward but let me run down the list of upgrades the RR came with; The previous owner put a Steinberger leg rest on it and it works great while sitting which I do a lot, theres a brass block on the Floyd, EMG 81 and 85 tapped to 18v, and a really nice touch was only one volume and one tone getting the badly placed 2nd volume knob out of the way and has a new cover so no crappy filler fix job, and lastly it came to me in truly mint condition, not a nick on her and I have to say it has the lowest action of any guitar Ive ever seen or played, so much so that Im raising it a bit. Easily the RR will fetch the high end of $1400+ if Im patient and ever want to flip it. The only downs are I don't like the painted neck and its black (as bad ass as black is, I like to see the shape of my guitars and black makes that hard) and would like to have 24 frets. So in the end I havent regretted anything, granted Ive got a new San Dimas as well filling the gap of any possible loss I might of had. I do appreciate everyones opinions.
                        On a side note, Ive been hearing rumbles about the EVH Charvels not being a huge step above the regular San Dimas pro mods, anyone have knowledge about how the fit and finish is on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Balou View Post
                          On a side note, Ive been hearing rumbles about the EVH Charvels not being a huge step above the regular San Dimas pro mods, anyone have knowledge about how the fit and finish is on them?
                          I'd start a new thread - no one is going to see this.

Back on topic, How do you like the RR neck compared to the Charvel? This is a main reason I'd do the swap. I hate how fat the neck is on my '98 SG Std, but the guitar sounds awesome so I keep it. I'd probably play it more if it had a thinner neck.

Comment

I'd stick with the original plan - trade the charvel for the RR1. It may help you trade it for a more expensive (current) model if you don't like it/get bored of it.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I don't know if this has been said yet since i skimmed through the replies but here's my two pennies.

What I have found in my experience of people who are used to playing a strat style body, they absolutely hate playing a RR body. Me personally, growing up playing a Jackson RR from the start I personally hate playing a strat body style. I have owned 2 Jackson strat bodies, a beautiful immaculate SL3, and currently a DR7 7 string. I sold the SL3 to a friend and have owned the 7 string for maybe 2 months max and i'm already thinking about selling it because I hate the way they feel.

So if I were you, i'd try a Jackson V at a music store to get a good feel for it before you dive into something you wish you hadn't have done.
                              Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
                              http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

"I did the Trade and Im happy".

That is what he said.

Comment

Working...
                                X