Anyone downtuning their Pro Mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone downtuning their Pro Mod?

I'm thinking about either downtuning my SG or my Style 2 pro mod a full step when I next take them in for a set up. I'm thinking the scale length of the Style 2 would better lend itself to this since it should hold string tension tighter. The guitar is bright with the stock pickups so I think a step down and a heavier set of strings (10s, maybe 11s) would help.

Just curious if anyone is rocking their Pro Mod downtuned.

I changed the bridge pickup to a Custom 5 (TB14). Huge improvement (IMHO). The JB is just too bright in an Alder body guitar to my ears. The Custom 5 added more lows and depth. I do like the way the JB sounds in one of my Mahogany TMZ Naturals.

Comment

I've got a set of 11's on my SoCal in DGCFAd. Doesn't sound any darker, just lower, and a bit fatter because of the increased gauge.

Comment

I prefer down tuning on something with a locking aparatus. That said, the only guitar I have that's a half step down from standard is my SG.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I dropped one to Eb and one to D (full step down). I actually prefer these in standard, but whatever floats yer boat.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
            I changed the bridge pickup to a Custom 5 (TB14). Huge improvement (IMHO). The JB is just too bright in an Alder body guitar to my ears. The Custom 5 added more lows and depth. I do like the way the JB sounds in one of my Mahogany TMZ Naturals.
            Interesting, as I had the opposite opinion. I tried a Custom 5 in my So-Cal, and it just had no guts or warmth. Very thin sounding.
            Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

I set up my 1-2H with 11s-- 1/2 step down--thats how my band tunes...The guitar sounds fine......It is not my primary Ax, I have a bunch and play whatever suits my mood......

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post
                Interesting, as I had the opposite opinion. I tried a Custom 5 in my So-Cal, and it just had no guts or warmth. Very thin sounding.
                Same here. The C5 came stock in my '05 Charvel Star... it's a little scooped in the mids and didn't sound good in the alder body. I put in a DiMarzio Tone Zone and was much happier.
                I've now got a C5 in my Hamer Special FM and it sounds fuller since the body and neck are mahogany with maple top.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mine's in Quarter-E with light-top/heavy bottoms.

And by Quarter-E I mean quarter step down.

I usually keep it in Eb or standard, my soloists are all in D, except for my stock SL2H which is in standard right now.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

How do you measure a quarter step accurately? Do you have a tuner with that mode or are your ears good enough?
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

whats the point in playing a quarter down? what does it do sonically? dime bag did that too. a whole step and a 1/4. weird.

Comment

I bet 50 Cent downtunes his by 50 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          How do you measure a quarter step accurately? Do you have a tuner with that mode or are your ears good enough?
                          It's really hard to do a quarter step by ear. What I do, Is set my tuner to a half-step mode, and tune down so that the tuner goes to the top of Eb and the bottom of E, if you get what I'm saying

I've gotten really close by ear, but generally best with a tuner...

As for what a quarter-step does, the answer is not much. I usually do it when I'm playing early Megadeth, as that's what they were tuned to on the first two albums. It does make chords feel a bit more powerful and adds some weird overtones, but that's about it

Cheers,

Grim
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

I use 9's and have my white style 1 tuned a half step down and my red one currently sits in standard tuning but, I used to have that one tuned down a whole step.

Comment

I have my Charvel's set up like this...

1. everything whole step down
                              2. drop "B"
                              3. drop "D"
                              4. E Flat, dropped to C#
                              5. Standard
                              6. Open C Tuning

My baritone's...

1. Drop A
                              2. B to B
                              3. G# (drop A half step down)

Just thinking about this has given me a headache. I have to stop writing songs in screwed up tunings!

Comment

Working...
                              X