No announcement yet.

Is This Normal for Pro Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine experienced this on his Epiphone. Due to the dryness and change, the frets stuck out and since Epi had a clearcoat on the neck over the fret ends, it cracked the clearcoat off and he ended up just sanding down the neck!
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I've purchased three Charvels in just as many months (an SD Style 2 and a So Cal...the So Cal, I exchanged for an SD style 1 HSS). All three guitars had the fret edges sticking out over the edges of the fret board...more so than any guitars I've ever owned. It wouldn't be a problem, except for the SD 2...the high E string sometimes gets caught under the fret edge, and I literally have to pick the string up over it (if that makes sense). On the So Cal, the skunk stripe was raised a little...but I didn't experience this on the two San Dimas models.

I do plan on taking these things to a local music repair shop...they do phenomenal work, and I take all my guitars there (as the only thing I really know how to do is change strings and intonate). I'm going to have those fret edges filed down, because it is a bit annoying. Not enough to really affect my playing (except that problem with the high E on the Telly).

This appears to be pretty normal across the boards. That said, I'll agree that weather does affect guitar necks..and living in NJ we get a lot of different weather. However, I tend to disagree that a little springtime humidity will cure this altogether. Those fret edges just stick way too far out for there to be that much difference due to weather. My other guitars are subject to extreme humidity differences, and I've never experienced the sharp fret edges on any of them...ever.

Just my 2 cents of course

Todd
      Todd M

Comment

Originally posted by steviekool View Post
        If you havent yet, I would take the guitar to a good luthier. The guitar most probably needs a setup right out of the box, and any respectable luthier will file down the sharp edges for you in the setup.
        Yep.
        First thing I did with mine. The store where I bought it have a great luthier working there, so I made him do it before i left the store. I could feel the edges of the frets when playing, so made him file them down.
        I also got a neck adjustment, and some other small things done before I brought it home. In addition to that, I will go back with the guitar when I have played it for a few weeks, for a final setup. All included in the price

And yes, it feels like a 2500$ guitar already, so I'm a happy camper with it.
        By far the best value guitar for the price I own. I can compare it to my USA Jacksons... hard to tell if it's equal, cause I just got it, but it's a dream to play, and sounds like a charm. Kinda curious about how the korean FR will hold up over time though.

Comment

Working...
        X